Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social work masters NUIG

• 16-03-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hear anything back yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 claire120

My application was updated on the 10th of March, I hope you've heard back by now Anna080 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

claire120 wrote: »
    My application was updated on the 10th of March, I hope you've heard back by now Anna080 :)

I did! Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Goldengirl120

That's great! Did you accept the course? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bobby21clare

Hey Guys and Girls,
    I've been called to do an interview for the Social Work Masters and i was wondering if ye had any tips? what kind of questions were asked? I presume they'd ask why social work and maybe some questions on legislation etc? any help would be great. I really would love to get this course.
    Thanks again,
    Bobby

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You’re interviewed by a course coordinator and a practicing social worker. The first round of questions come from the course coordinator and second from the SW.
    It’s been a few years now but I remember a lot, if not most of the questions were based around your hours worked; what you learned, what challenges you came across, how you handled difficult situations etc. Be familiar with reports too like the Roscommon case report, read the recommendations.
    They really want to know how your working hours have informed your abilities to do the course. So maybe write out a few scenarios on paper like challenges you faced, how you handled something positively, how you made a difference, one thing you did that you’re proud of. I remember being asked a few of those and feeling like I was being asked the same question over and over.. so run through a few different scenarios.
    Also why did you choose social work and what area are you most interested in, like child protection etc..
    Be up to date with anything relevant and topical in the media, maybe bring it in naturally into conversation if you can.
    Overall, just be confident and self assured. They want to know you’re ready. Just be yourself and treat it like a chat. I was nervous as hell but I remember coming out happy enough and if you struggle with any question they tend to help you out. They’re not trying to trick you, they just want to get a feel for the type of person you are, you’re not expected to know everything about everything so don’t worry if you’re asked something you’re unsure of, and don’t be afraid to say it’s not something you’re fully informed about but it sounds interesting so you’ll look forward to learning more.
    Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MissesM

Hi, did any of ye hear anything back for 19/20 entry? Would the waiting list be long and how likely are you to get on the course from the waiting list?

Hi, did any of ye hear anything back for 19/20 entry? Would the waiting list be long and how likely are you to get on the course from the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bobby21clare

MissesM wrote: »

Hey M, I got an email from the admissions department on Thursday that I was accepted 🎉

Hey M, I got an email from the admissions department on Thursday that I was accepted 🎉

That’s great! Congrats!! Would people on the waiting list have much of a chance of getting a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Goldengirl120

MissesM wrote: »

There are often a few places given to those on the waiting list however, every year is different so it's hard to say. It's a lovely course - the first semester is generally 10am - 4pm Monday - Thursday with a half day on Friday. The first placement is January - April (4.5 days).
    Best of luck with it, fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement