Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International cricket thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Poor umpiring, Butler missed that by about an inch and a half. Next delivery he gets his hundred.

Double hundred for Crawley, guy is only 22. Looks phenomenal, the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Strumms wrote: »
    Double hundred for Crawley, guy is only 22. Looks phenomenal, the real deal.

Just checked the score, didn't watch it much today, but I'll catch the highlights later, saw Buttler get to a ton, after and overturned decision on 99.thats what DRS is for.

The triple hundred was there for Crawley, disappointing but he did absolutely brilliantly.

Butler out. A cheap dismissal to be fair but a great innings, well played. Think there should a declaration now. Again Root being hmmmmmm as a captain. England cannot loose the match. It’s impossible, so go try and win it, entertain.

But no, Bess to the crease and despite England with 530 on the board, Root is determined to give more batsmen an opportunity... as opposed to giving his team an opportunity to win a match and an opportunity to entertain. Warne agrees with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The triple hundred was there for Crawley, disappointing but he did absolutely brilliantly.

Butler out. A cheap dismissal to be fair but a great innings, well played. Think there should a declaration now. Again Root being hmmmmmm as a captain. England cannot loose the match. It’s impossible, so go try and win it, entertain.

But no, Bess to the crease and despite England with 530 on the board, Root is determined to give more batsmen an opportunity... as opposed to giving his team an opportunity to win a match and an opportunity to entertain. Warne agrees with me...

I do to. Seems mad to keep them going. Especially seeing as it’s the bowlers in now. I could somewhat understand if Buttler was nearing a double century but they are losing time now with every needless ball faced

• Advertisement

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I do to. Seems mad to keep them going. Especially seeing as it’s the bowlers in now. I could somewhat understand if Buttler was nearing a double century but they are losing time now with every needless ball faced

Ian Ward and Wasim Akram chiming in all be it politely to agree with that ... Broad gets bowled, a brilliant delivery , declaration now. 13 overs left tonight. Somebody needs a word with the Root fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Jimmy with 3-13. 600 wickets this game is on.

If my understanding of the rules is correct, and my maths, Pakistan need a mammoth 363 more runs to avoid the follow on, 7 wickets in hand, you’d have to bet against it.

Weather set fair tomorrow mostly with a chance of an odd shower although Monday less favorable. So England barring some calamity are likely worst case, drawing this match. Root was probably against declaring sooner all things considered as factoring in the weather he is using the game situation to his advantage to enable the series win.

A couple of wickets falling in the am session, Pakistan say 110/5, you'd back England with that momentum to get through the lower middle order / tail in good fashion the way they’ve bowled and Pakistan have batted.

Still should be an interesting days play ahead in any case.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

I think the reasoning behind not declaring was giving themselves 3 days to bowl out Pstan twice, without having to bat again

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Perhaps the WI game at Headingley a couple years back still weighs heavy on his mind. He came in for massive unfair criticism that time.

• Advertisement

Azhar Ali digging in well. Turning his bad form around. Gone a bit flat. Tuesday looks awful, expect no cricket so today and tomorrow to take 15 more wickets.

That’s great umpiring.. looked stonewall lbw in real time but hawk - eye replay has it missing by an inch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pakistan doing well enough to dig out 250 from this considering the new ball and long tail will probably see a quick end to the innings. 180/2 since lunch

Archer bowling short balls with a soft ball in over 65 or so was a strange use of his pace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

dfx- wrote: »
    Pakistan doing well enough to dig out 250 from this considering the new ball and long tail will probably see a quick end to the innings. 180/2 since lunch

Archer bowling short balls with a soft ball in over 65 or so was a strange use of his pace

Was just thinking the same, hopefully the one dimensional slogger Yasir can slog a few, coz he never hangs around, himself and Jerome Taylor are in a match for the worst batsman with a test hundred.

Two dropped in one over... Burns drop while catchable wasnt straight forward... crawley chance was a sitter... right in the bread basket... Anderson seething... rightly.

Broad drops another but makes up for it with an unreal throw from 30 feet away... mad over...

Pitch gone completely flat, nothing for the pace men or the spinners. Anderson might be stuck on 599 for a while. Forecast shows some play tomorrow afternoon but probably needs the new ball then. Another drop today, think I saw that's 90 now since 2006. More than anyone in that time.

England need the rain to hold off tomorrow and take early wickets.

Pakistan are only 210 behind now as well

Forecast has improved a little for tomorrow. Going by what I’m reading now maybe 30 minutes or so play before lunch. Rain then unlikely barring a passing shower in the afternoon. I’d say Pakistan should secure the draw barring some total capitulation.

Absolutely fûcking DREADFUL captaincy from Joe Root, batting that long. While putting up 583 runs secures the series victory by virtue of a draw here at least..so would 490. 490 would have heaped pressure on Pakistan to save the game.

If Pakistan had say been 190/4 at stumps tonight it’s still majorly in Englands hands by virtue of needing 6 wickets. The follow on was enforced so this is ALL about England enabling themselves to be victorious. England ‘CANNOT’ loose. The mathematics and time left in the game say Pakistan has 0% of victory. So why the fûck does Root stay out that long batting ? It makes no sense. If I’m a club cricketer playing in this scenario and a captain chooses these tactics I’d be chewing the head off him... “ we are playing to WIN, not to fûcking practice “.

I’m a neutral but it’s just boneheaded.

Yep. If this was all so England could win just to bat once it’s madness considering the forecasts that they had for the weather

• Advertisement

Declaration was perfectly acceptable I think. Batting on like that demoralizes the team in the field. Ten minute innings break and more often than not, two or three are quickly dismissed. Seen it loads of times and happened here again. England comfortably enforced the follow on with plenty of time and runs to play with. Pitch is flat and slow so very hard to take twenty wickets now. They might still win it and regardless a draw means it's another series win. Root is doing fine as captain.

Demoralizing because they can’t win true, but moral booting because they are unlikely to loose. Declare whereby both results are possible and the opposition are worried, of a negative mindset and on the back foot.

It’s going to be a draw, unless a crazy mad collapse, unlikely on such a flat and compliant wicket.

Batting a team out of the game to only bat once and enforce the follow on is different to batting too long in the third innings. Batting too long in the third innings is only a problem if you run out of time. Dangling the carrot as they say has caught out plenty of sides in the past. Bat them out of the game if time allows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

If there's any play tomorrow, Pakistan will find a way to lose, it's their speciality, as already seen in the first test.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Demoralizing because they can’t win true, but moral booting because they are unlikely to loose. Declare whereby both results are possible and the opposition are worried, of a negative mindset and on the back foot.

It’s going to be a draw, unless a crazy mad collapse, unlikely on such a flat and compliant wicket.

If half of those dropped catches had been held England may already have won this. Hindsight is a great thing though. I've seen nothing wrong with Root's decision to declare when they did, and I think you can assume there were others in the background (the likes of Collingwood and Silverwood) who were part of the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

600 for Anderson. The captains can call the draw if this is going nowhere now.

It's a great achievement. Only took six deliveries longer than Muralitharan. Good catch by Root too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Root's bowling himself now, the end can't be too far away.

Bowling to get to the new ball. Good blast with that and see where the game is then.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    If half of those dropped catches had been held England may already have won this. Hindsight is a great thing though. I've seen nothing wrong with Root's decision to declare when they did, and I think you can assume there were others in the background (the likes of Collingwood and Silverwood) who were part of the discussion

Hindsight is great Beasty but the forecast was miserable from the get go and that hasn’t changed.

I think I saw that after getting his ton Buttler scored 30ish off his next 100 balls. That’s selfish batting and not what was need at all. When Root saw that he should’ve got a message out to hurry up

Advertisement