Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

arubex wrote: »
    I see the status of Virgin Little Red ( "I'm not dead!" "Yes he is!" ) has finally been officially confirmed; their slots are up for grabs from Winter 2015:

http://www.acl-uk.org/latestNews.aspx?id=183

I assume the A320s freed from that lease will be displacing the A319s?

I heard Aer Lingus leased at least one of the A320's for that contract. Wheather these will return to the EI fleet or the lessor is unknown.

At least 1 of the A319's will be replaced by an A321.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I heard Aer Lingus leased at least one of the A320's for that contract. Wheather these will return to the EI fleet or the lessor is unknown.

At least 1 of the A319's will be replaced by an A321.
    2 of the Little Red A320's are part of the EI fleet, other 2 were leased in for the operation specifically.

A range of 4000NM? Thats more than the 757! If thats true, fair play to Airbus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

yeah. saw the figure mentioned in an article in Airliner World.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

A range of 4000NM? Thats more than the 757! If thats true, fair play to Airbus!

Here's the payload-range chart from the Airbus presentation; it really does seem to have the 757 licked at longer ranges. Amazing transformation, just a pity they couldn't have done a wing tweak too.

The downside is that the three auxiliary tanks reduce the hold capacity; does Aer Lingus do much trans-Atlantic freight?

tippman1 wrote: »

Well done CH-Aviation.....finger on the pulse. Didn't we answer this uestion here months ago? :P
    arubex wrote: »
    The downside is that the three auxiliary tanks reduce the hold capacity; does Aer Lingus do much trans-Atlantic freight?
    Wouldn't be a big issue really as the A321LR could be used to supplement existing A330 routes and to launch new routes. Freight remains on A330, and the A321LR can still hande a couple of cans if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Are those passenger numbers for an all economy configuration?The Delta 757's are 175 total, economy + business.

roundymac wrote: »
    Are those passenger numbers for an all economy configuration?The Delta 757's are 175 total, economy + business.

Yes, i assume they are max passenger capacity. Eg. The capacity of the 737-800 is 189, but not all airlines have that many seat.

roundymac wrote: »
    As noted above, not too many carriers use the max capacity. (This would be the safety rated max capacity based on exits)
    EI I believe have something like 12/155 on their ACL B757's.

A321LR prob has more cabin foot space if they have the modern smaller galleys. And B757 in service would have older large galleys from the time when airlines served meals to all pax.

On that point I saw this item on ebay recently.
    Its a promo postcard from 1994 about EI introducing the A330. The postcards notes that "it can typically carry 235 passengers in a spacious First and Economy configuration" We are well beyond that figure now!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AER-LINGUS-Ireland-Airbus-330-A330-321-A321-airplane-aircraft-press-photos/111610158365?_trksid=p2060778.c100277.m3477&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140725134205%26meid%3D3b32fe1f6b0844c69cb99c3802338321%26pid%3D100277%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D221701209148

• Advertisement

I was just wondering, what are the status of the A350's Aer Lingus are supposed to get? Its 2017 now isnt it?

I was just wondering, what are the status of the A350's Aer Lingus are supposed to get? Its 2017 now isnt it?
    3 a year due for delivery in 2018,2019 and 2020. Confirmed in last months 2014 FY results.

Tenger wrote: »
    3 a year due for delivery in 2018,2019 and 2020. Confirmed in last months 2014 FY results.

Cheers. Will they replace the A330's completely, partly or not at all?

Complete replacement is the current publicised plan. 2018: 3/6 ratio, 6/3 on 2018 and 9/0 in 2020.
    Look at page 20 of this document-
    http://corporate.aerlingus.com/investorrelations/regulatorynews/2014pressreleases/AerLingus_september_analyst_presentation.pdf

This is dated from Sept last when officially they were still looking at the A330neo....no mention of it in the results last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Cheers. Will they replace the A330's completely, partly or not at all?
    Tenger wrote: »
    Complete replacement is the current publicised plan. 2018: 3/6 ratio, 6/3 on 2018 and 9/0 in 2020.
    Look at page 20 of this document-
    http://corporate.aerlingus.com/investorrelations/regulatorynews/2014pressreleases/AerLingus_september_analyst_presentation.pdf

This is dated from Sept last when officially they were still looking at the A330neo....no mention of it in the results last month.

And the breakdown of the 350s is reportedly 6/3 regional/regular variants.

donvito99 wrote: »
    And the breakdown of the 350s is reportedly 6/3 regional/regular variants.

I assume the regionals have a shorter range (less fuel tanks) and more cargo storage than than the regular? They would still make it quite a distance though wouldn't they?

I assume the regionals have a shorter range (less fuel tanks) and more cargo storage than than the regular? They would still make it quite a distance though wouldn't they?
    "Regional" is a bit of a misnomer as they still have long legs. They are the same aircraft but the engines are derated to create the regional version. They would have the same tanks and cargo space as standard but less range due to lower engine thrust. (A350-900 has a stated range of 15000km)
    The airline can if they wish, pay a fee to uprate the engine to standard. The lower engine power also means lower maintenance costs over its life.

So makes sense for EI to go for the Regional version with the majority of their routes being East Coast USA. 3 'standard' A350 can cover SFO (and LAX!!)

From aviationweek in 2013:
    The regional variant will also be limited to a maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) of 250 tons, compared to 268 tons for the long-haul version.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The lower weight should also get it in to lower landing and on-route charges at some airports/controls; its generally one of the reasons for a paper de-rate.

I'd say its very likely that come 2020 they're going to want more than 9 craft of that size, but it may make more sense to get the neo's rather than keep some of the existing 330s if only for maintenance and other commonality reasons - RR engines on both; for instance. Or just order more 350s, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭olive20

Aer Lingus will have to pull up their socks!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31998530

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Positioned from Manila brings EI up to 8 , plus 3 B757 and summer peak 767
    Impressive growth over last three years , with DAA in ARN for next few weeks and only 4 330 with new seats , one in BOD at moment that leaves it very tight to complete the new config with summer now starting, good luck all round !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

A319er wrote: »
    Impressive growth over last three years , with DAA in ARN for next few weeks and only 4 330 with new seats , one in BOD at moment that leaves it very tight to complete the new config with summer now starting, good luck all round !

The refits are running behind schedule and with the new Sumer schedule upon is expect to see a number of hire ins over the few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Assume you meant to say EI-EWR positioned back from Manila! It was there for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Titan and omni hire in today getting tight already , crew illness rather than
    Delayed refits but so early to be this tight !

Titan and omni hire in today getting tight already , crew illness rather than
    Delayed refits but so early to be this tight !

I looked at the schedule for June/July on EI.com.
    Looks like they have 8 A330 departures 5 days per week.
    'only 7 on Tuesday and Saturday. Then factor in the daily rotation DUB-AGP-DUB. So not a lot of slack in the schedule.

Ha ha "EI.com"

When will all the refittings be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Tenger wrote:
    'only 7 on Tuesday and Saturday. Then factor in the daily rotation DUB-AGP-DUB. So not a lot of slack in the schedule.
    Wasn't AGP moved to all A320s? I could be wrong, but I think I saw something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

man98 wrote: »
    Wasn't AGP moved to all A320s? I could be wrong, but I think I saw something about it.

No,DUZ operated the 584/5 today

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

EI-DUZ Seats installed.

EI-EAV Seats installed

EI-EWR Seats will be installed very soon.

EI-DAA No seats installed-on Novair lease.

EI-EDY Seats installed

EI-ELA Currently in Bordeaux getting seats installed

EI-DUO Seats installed

EI-LAX Seats installed

The fact that DAA is away on lease and that for the past 3 months a330s have been in and out to Bordeaux, there has been an aircraft shortage.

Hence the reason why A330-300 have been used on DUB-SFO route, and why EI-DAA briefly returned to Dublin last week to operate DUB-JFK, because it was sitting around in Stockholm not on Novair duty on that particular day, and then positioned back to Arlanda.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

EI-ELA is currently on her way back to DUB from Bordeaux right now, as EI 2505.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭john boye

EI-ELA is currently on her way back to DUB from Bordeaux right now, as EI 2505.

EI-EDY went the other direction earlier

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement