Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sport or athletic school in Ireland

Options
  • 24-07-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for a Sport or Athletic school in Ireland.
    Primary or secondary level.
    Any ideas or recommendations ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you mean a school that has lots of extra-curricular sport? In primary school, under Dept of Education guidelines, only one hour per week is allocated . However many schools do all kinds of sport activities in addition to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

I mean something like schools on continent when most subject (theory and training) is focused on - in short - how to become a master in chosen sport - like swimming, athletics, gymnastics. It's like preparing boys and girls represent country in sport for example on Olympic games, with Masters Degree in Sport on the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Only secondary schools would favour a sport. But academic subjects would come first. My school was very focussed on hockey. Other schools would be into gaa or rugby. I don't know any where children are hothoused into competitive sports from the get go.

Ok. So, looks like if you not ''professional'' sportsman with sponsor, you need to pay from your own pocket for sport education, training and couch to represent country? Looks like I miss some link in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What sports are you interested in? Does your child want to play one in particular? There's sports and athletic clubs all over the country but they're not school specific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Tom75 wrote: »
    Ok. So, looks like if you not ''professional'' sportsman with sponsor, you need to pay from your own pocket for sport education, training and couch to represent country? Looks like I miss some link in this.

As you asked the question about schools, I assume you are talking about children, so the term "professional with a sponsor" does not seem appropriate.

Talented kids who want to be coached to a high level in a sport or athletics in Ireland, often do this through a club in their chosen sport.

Grants are available, but the government budget for this is not large and a lot depends on the sport.

Thank you for yours answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Tom75 wrote: »
    I mean something like schools on continent when most subject (theory and training) is focused on - in short - how to become a master in chosen sport - like swimming, athletics, gymnastics. It's like preparing boys and girls represent country in sport for example on Olympic games, with Masters Degree in Sport on the end.

Have you any link to these schools as I think most of them finished after the cold war.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Any particular sport ?
    There’s no schools as such. But there are sports athleteic clubs and if the child is doing well may be put in a development program by sports Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

OP was 2014, I presume the child has found a school by now. Closing thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement