Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Athlone to Raheny on Sunday then Raheny to Athlone on Monday. It's something I've had in mind for a while, though I'd originally planned on doing it the other way around as I live in Dublin. Things change though!

Around 10 mins after I set off on Sunday morning the heavens opened and it bucketed down, had to shelter under the canopy at Kilmartins in Athlone for a few mins to let the worst pass. Then got thoroughly soaked anyway from the spray off the road! Stayed dry until Leixlip when there was another short heavy downpour but dry apart from that. Didn't even notice it being sunny for long spells but arrived home to discover burned arms & legs :o

Yesterday morning felt chilly getting going at 8am, then arm warmers were off before I got through the city. Got as far as Kinnegad dry and then it rained most of the last 60km. Temperature according to my Garmin dropped to 8 degrees at one point and I arrived home properly soaked and cold, though I doubt I got any wetter in the last 2 hours given how heavily it rained between Kinnegad & Miltownpass!

Sunday - 133.6km, 29.2kph (slight tailwind)
    Monday - 133.6km, 27.1kph (slight headwind!)

Longest ever back to back for me so fairly delighted with it tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First day out since the spill I took on the Orwell Randonee at the start of May. I've done a few short spins on the turbo so got brave and went out for an hour this morning. Nearly turned back after 3km as my hr went through the roof on the first short incline I came to. Nearly turned back again after 5km when a rough section of tar shook the sh!t out of my busted shoulder. There's a world of difference between sitting spinning in the kitchen and bouncing around the back roads of Meath.
    Then the shoulder settled down, the hr levelled off and I ground it out for another wee while. Finished up in a lake of sweat with 35km done @29.5kmh.
    A lot of work to do both on the shoulder and the overall fitness but I'll get there eventually.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2441154986

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

Daroxtar wrote: »
    First day out since the spill I took on the Orwell Randonee at the start of May. I've done a few short spins on the turbo so got brave and went out for an hour this morning. Nearly turned back after 3km as my hr went through the roof on the first short incline I came to. Nearly turned back again after 5km when a rough section of tar shook the sh!t out of my busted shoulder. There's a world of difference between sitting spinning in the kitchen and bouncing around the back roads of Meath.
    Then the shoulder settled down, the hr levelled off and I ground it out for another wee while. Finished up in a lake of sweat with 35km done @29.5kmh.
    A lot of work to do both on the shoulder and the overall fitness but I'll get there eventually.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2441154986

Welcome back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

55km doing some zone 3 efforts. The last rudely interrupted by a puncture which was my first in 12months I'd say.

Lovely evening even if the rain threatened a few times.

55km @ 34.4 km/h.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

weird one on my cycle this evening. all the way from oldtown down to the broadmeadow i had two motorcyclists behind me who did not overtake for the entire stretch, which was about 3.5km. i think one was a learner and one an instructor, and the whole stretch has a solid white line down the middle, so they were playing by the rules. i was making good progress (just shy of 40km/h average for the segment) so wasn't madly inclined to pull in.

• Advertisement

Should have went behind for some moto pacing efforts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Athlone to Raheny on Sunday then Raheny to Athlone on Monday. It's something I've had in mind for a while, though I'd originally planned on doing it the other way around as I live in Dublin. Things change though!

Around 10 mins after I set off on Sunday morning the heavens opened and it bucketed down, had to shelter under the canopy at Kilmartins in Athlone for a few mins to let the worst pass. Then got thoroughly soaked anyway from the spray off the road! Stayed dry until Leixlip when there was another short heavy downpour but dry apart from that. Didn't even notice it being sunny for long spells but arrived home to discover burned arms & legs :o

Yesterday morning felt chilly getting going at 8am, then arm warmers were off before I got through the city. Got as far as Kinnegad dry and then it rained most of the last 60km. Temperature according to my Garmin dropped to 8 degrees at one point and I arrived home properly soaked and cold, though I doubt I got any wetter in the last 2 hours given how heavily it rained between Kinnegad & Miltownpass!

Sunday - 133.6km, 29.2kph (slight tailwind)
    Monday - 133.6km, 27.1kph (slight headwind!)

Longest ever back to back for me so fairly delighted with it tbh :D

I'd say you're ready for audax so... http://www.audaxireland.org

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

but arrived home to discover burned arms & legs
    were they yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Two hours on the TT bike with two ten minute efforts after taking the week off last week, that hurt more than I had expected it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Cycled in to town via N11 early this morning - about 6am so before the bus lanes become bus lanes. My god as much as we/I give out about taxi drivers, your common garden variety driver is a lot more aggressive to cyclists. I had to swerve out of the way of two cars who just blatantly ignored my presence & moved across me - one as I was on the cycle lane on the Donnybrook side of the junction at Dublin bus & the other as I was in the left lane coming up to upper Leeson st.

I usually hold my tongue but if I'm glad I couldn't catch either of them (I tried) at lights as I'd have been done for assault. There was clear intent on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I usually hold my tongue but if I'm glad I couldn't catch either of them (I tried) at lights as I'd have been done for assault. There was clear intent on their behalf.

And with that username, it might not have ended well for them!ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the top 5 on that segment are all boardsies (four of them i know are active boardsies, not sure if the fifth is). it's the little battleground for northside/NCD boards.
    No. 7 is very active here and no. 10 posts occasionally. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CormacH94 wrote: »
    ...Third time up Kippure Mast today...
    Are you working for the KN Group? Doing Kippure once in a day is usually enough for me nevermind climbing the mast as well!

(A couple of lads in our club have been up it for work. They say that the wind at the base is nothing compared to at the top of the mast).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Are you working for the KN Group? Doing Kippure once in a day is usually enough for me nevermind climbing the mast as well!

(A couple of lads in our club have been up it for work. They say that the wind at the base is nothing compared to at the top of the mast).

That'd be some daily commute alright haha

Third attempt at Kippure Mast, not third in a row haha Although that'd be an idea for hill repeats.

It was perfect weather that day, the previous two times I'd been up it were rain/sleet and wind that I think was 30kmph + at the top, pretty stupid of me to go up so probably won't be doing it again in those conditions.

It's a great feeling of achivement (especially the little ramps toward the end) getting to the top of it and being rewarded with the view

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

While I love the view from the Mast, most of the time i get to the top just as the cloud rolls back in

That said its not like i go up regularly probably 3-4 times a 'summer'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd say you're ready for audax so... http://www.audaxireland.org

I'd like to give it a go but as our second baby is due in 3 weeks time it might be a while before I get proper miles in again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭secman

Just a quick jaunt out to blessington and back last night, about 42km, 280m, 29.6 kph
    On my Todd, the regular riders still recovering from doing w200 in reverse on Sat and doing it proper on Sunday, they haven't been seen since :) 8:25 hrs Sat and 8:28 hrs Sunday, all were well capable of sub 8 hrs but moment of madness thought ladt Thursday by one of them just spread :) v:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Did my regular spin out to Enniskerry over lunch, 11th time this month trying to build up some regularity to my cycling. Crap weather aside, uneventful until the last leg home when I encountered an ambulance in the middle of the road at Bellermine and then a cyclist riding one bike while pushing another at Lamb's Cross. Apparently the other rider had come down damaging his hip and he was cycling the bike down to Joe Daly's even though he didn't know the other rider. Chapeau to that man and on the basis that what goes around comes around, I hope you buy a lotto ticket this evening. Apparently the man down fell foul of white line which was greasy in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Took a spin over to Tara to meet herself for a bit of breakfast. Shoulder holding up well today, very happy with that. However... I've usually referred to the hill of Tara as a blip, a speed bump, not a proper hill at all. Well today it was a mountain. I have 10 weeks to get in shape for the real mountains of Northern Spain with a few of the goats from the club. I'm going to endure a lot of pain!!!

A little over 40k at a fairly sluggish pace and about 8 degrees.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2448819988

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

another trip over Wicklow gap and Sally gap, 106kms 1150mtrs, 25.5kph, got rain from Sally gap back to Naas, rain is a great motivator, got pbs all over the place on the way home!

• Advertisement

Savage day down South, only a day for a jaunt around the coast road which always delivers on a sunny day.

4hrs pedalling with 137km done @ 33.9k and 1000m of up. Fit for a body bag now!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Arranged to collect some shoes from DirkVoodoo so an excuse to head for the hills. Cruagh, Glencullen, Kilmolin, Glencree for a quick espresso, over the featherbeds and home. Only 67 km but just under 1000m done in that so all good

https://www.strava.com/activities/2451939794

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

63km out west this morning @ 28km avg, had all 4 seasons on the spin but finished in glorious sunshine...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2451446869

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

60KM, sluggish and flat. But the legs work post W200 so all is well.

For the northsiders/NCD folk: Do ye find it easy to do a non stop route? Starting in south Dub unless you go up n over top you've got a stack of traffic lights to snare you. My knowledge of areas like the naul is poor but it strikes me that you guys might be able to use smaller R roads for short loops without stopping 100 times at reds. Pain in the face.

there's bugger all traffic lights out around the naul, i think just one set in the naul itself, which is a pedestrian crossing so rarely red.

65km this morning (taking in the naul) around NCD; very up and downy even though the total ascent wasn't huge (670m). the rain held off for the most part anyway.

actually for ED E: this was my spin; i think i hit four, maybe five sets of lights. as it turns out, i didn't have to stop at any.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2454379979

however, if you want to get *to* the northside, it's another matter. obviously the clontarf cycle path offers a relatively traffic light free spin out to howth.

Was going to do the McNally sportive but was a bit slow to wake up. Went out on my own, headed for Tara via Ratoath and then back via Skyrne, Ardcath and Garristown.

Ended up crossing paths with McNally participants and looked well organised. I confused one or 2 when I went straight on I think when they were turning off.

102 km in 3h23 @ 30.6 kmph. Not much climbing, even for North Dublin it seemed low.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2454632706

you gave it some beans on glebe road again.

you gave it some beans on glebe road again.

Twas a very benign morning so gave it a go. Blew up as I tend to

Also, with the exception of the airport and 1 each in Ratoath and I dunshaglin I had no lights to stops at. That's 100 km with maybe 8 lights and most of them were within 2 km of my apartment. Plenty of junctions to yield at, but mostly rolling stops all morn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

there's bugger all traffic lights out around the naul, i think just one set in the naul itself, which is a pedestrian crossing so rarely red.

65km this morning (taking in the naul) around NCD; very up and downy even though the total ascent wasn't huge (670m). the rain held off for the most part anyway.

actually for ED E: this was my spin; i think i hit four, maybe five sets of lights. as it turns out, i didn't have to stop at any.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2454379979

You got that glorious 1.0 move ratio.

For my similar spin I got .83 (stopped 17% of the total time, that included snacks shopping).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement