Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The RTÉ Doc on One.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I listened to 149 Days in the Life of JG Farrell last night, I thought it was interesting.
    JG Farrell - the booker prize winning author moved to Kilcrohane, Sheep's Head Peninsula in West Cork in March 1979 but only lived there for 149 days before he tragically died. He was only 44 years of age.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2010/1207/646580-radio-documentary-jg-farrell-booker-author-drowned/

Today's documentary was so sad. "For shame, love, for shame". More evidence (as if we haven't enough) of the grim fate of single girls who were unfortunate enough to get pregnant in ireland in the 1940's. Well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I love this programme-last week looked at the (in)famous hurling AllIreland won by Offaly. The week before dealt with guy imprisoned abroad for drugs. There are some real gems. Today’s was heartbreaking-poor woman. I think they repeat Saturdays programme on Sunday. Quality listening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Rarely get to listen but today's story was harrowing, so well told

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

In Shame, Love, In Shame

I heard this documentary on Saturday afternoon and I thought it was excellent. It’s well worth listening to IMO.
    Documentary On One: In Shame, Love, In Shame looks at the events behind this story, of Peggy's life, of her daughter Breda's life, of how the people of Listowel rallied round and defended Peggy - and of what happened before and since those Church gates were rammed open in 1946.

Narrated by Conor Keane

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2018/0807/983666-shame-love-in-shame/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,744 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Really excellent documentary today about rural electrification.

I caught up with that one today, as the last time I tried to access the DocOnOne archives it was a right mess.
    They've sorted the mess out, and after navigating RTE's car crash of a website I found that DOO archives are playable only via friggin' iTunes.
    Something I wouldn't normally bother having on my box, but needs must if I wanted to hear it.
    Glad I persevered as it was worth listening to and the list of archived material is interesting.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

There's a stand alone Doc On One app. I've not used it in a while but it used to work perfectly.

There's a stand alone Doc On One app. I've not used it in a while but it used to work perfectly.
    I don't use apps any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Why? Just curious.

Why? Just curious.

Because I gave up smartphoning and cluttering up my phone with endless apps that rob memory and processing resources. My phone is just a phone and has a stripped-down suite of essential apps that I make use of with no cruft on it.

The player RTE had before would play quite happily on nearly any browser and I didn't have to use iTunes, which I've avoided for years, as I've absolutely no other use for it.
    I think it's just an illustration of lazy programming by RTE - "Oh, it's easier to do this with iTunes, so feck everyone else."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Because I gave up smartphoning and cluttering up my phone with endless apps that rob memory and processing resources. My phone is just a phone and has a stripped-down suite of essential apps that I make use of with no cruft on it.

The player RTE had before would play quite happily on nearly any browser and I didn't have to use iTunes, which I've avoided for years, as I've absolutely no other use for it.
    I think it's just an illustration of lazy programming by RTE - "Oh, it's easier to do this with iTunes, so feck everyone else."

I know you said you don't use apps, but I use Pocket Casts on Android and can listen to the DocOnOne podcast through that, so they're not entirely tied to iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

They are also available on the Google podcast app

Also, some that I've enjoyed:
    The battle of baltinglass - about a post office being awarded to a political crony in baltinglass and the dramatic fallout after

The 3 funerals of frank stagg

Quiet as a mouse - about introversion

Clouds in harrys coffee - about an Irish merchant sailor who ended up in a concentration camp in germany

The Garda who limped - very interesting in the context of the McCabe controversy that followed. It's the initial doc that went out regarding penalty points and prompted Martin Callinan to call the whistle blowers disgusting individuals in front of the government committee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yiddo59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Dan Jaman wrote: »

That's not just RTE though everybody is going with Itunes

99% of recent podcasts I subscribed to has only had a Itunes link and I have had to use http://picklemonkey.net/feedflipper-home/ to get a RSS feed link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

They are also available on the Google podcast app

I'm not great at technology but a query.
    Sometimes if I go to download an app, doc on one for example, it asks to have access to my contacts, files, photos etc. So I don't install them for that reason.
    What will happen if I agreed to all that? What do they need access to thst stuff?

bobbyss wrote: »
    I'm not great at technology but a query.
    Sometimes if I go to download an app, doc on one for example, it asks to have access to my contacts, files, photos etc. So I don't install them for that reason.
    What will happen if I agreed to all that? What do they need access to thst stuff?

Good question. In the early days of apps you would just install an app and God knows what it was doing, so Google brought in this functionality to alert you as to what it was capable of doing so there would be more transparency. In the case of the "doc on one" app it might be harmless, they could have included something in their code that could *potentially* access that data, which creates the alert even if the app never actually does. In the worst case scenario, they are trying to steal your data and do something with it.

I just checked the Google podcasts app (which has all the "doc on one" podcasts) and there are no special permissions required so you might be able to download that if you wanted an app - I use it and it's fairly good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Is anyone else having problems accessing Documentary on One via internet radio, I am using a Roberts 93i, works fine on Pocket Casts on my android smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Harrowing documentary atm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

honeybear wrote: »
    Is this the Garda one?

• Advertisement

Threads Merged

Many threads on this topic over the years; hopefully we can keep them all in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

honeybear wrote: »
    I heard it ( by chance) it was brilliant.
    I have shared it with a few people since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Very sad. Particularly when she was talking about her Dad, the hospital, being questioned and the newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

God above.. Doc on one.. A woman preparing for her death. Is there no end to the misery on Rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

God above.. Doc on one.. A woman preparing for her death. Is there no end to the misery on Rte

Actually found that doc to be highly enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

batgoat wrote: »

A fascinating insight.
    Just what a radio doc should be.
    Kudos to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

elperello wrote: »
    batgoat wrote: »

A fascinating insight.
    Just what a radio doc should be.
    Kudos to all involved.
    Ah sure il have to have a look at it when I'm in form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ah sure il have to have a look at it when I'm in form

I thought it was quite upbeat considering the subject. I laughed out loud at the bit with the undertaker in Strokestown (I think it was) - clearly the lady was not au fait with the subtle intricaciesof the undertaker/client family relationships in a rural town. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Listened to this detailed embellished tale about a Sydney street over 100+ years. Has RTÉ done anything like this on an Irish street?

Fictional Pyrmont resident and neighbourhood gossip Lizzie Absalom tells what really went on in those back lanes.

or download MP3

• Advertisement
Advertisement