Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stair lift

Options
  • 29-05-2018 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,
    My dad who is 84 has just come out of hospital after a 3-month stay due to a broken hip.

Whilst, with care, he can get up and down the stairs at the moment, I think it will come to the point soon where he won't be able to manage so I'm thinking of getting a stair lift installed for him.

Has anybody any recommendations for who to go to? I've been on to a couple of suppliers and they are saying it will cost between €5k and €6.5k + Vat (which can be reclaimed) depending on exact options. His stairs have a landing/return halfway up so that adds to the price.

Anything else to look out for?

TIA, O29

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I really don't know anything about stairlifts, but I believe there are reconditioned ones available. If you are looking for a grant you have to apply before you get the lift, and then wait (they don't say what you are supposed to do for the intervening 12 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭shane b

My in-laws got a reconditioned one installed for about 1500 . Far enough it was a straight stairs. They could rent it or buy it and guy will take it back if they decide not to use it after say 12 months. There's a few for sale on done deal but getting someone to remove and install it can be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Ask at your wheelchair assoccation branch they might know someone who is selling second
    hand

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭MFlack2012

Did you get sorted op?

We paid 6k for one for my gran in December but unfortunately she passed away last week and now finding it very hard to get companies to buy back, even though it's new condition :confused:

Advertisement