Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance after a claim, young person

• 13-06-2019 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I am a 19 yearold male with an insurance premium of €2400 on a 2001 Fiat Punto. I have a full Irish License. I have since changed to a Renault Clio 1.2 2006. I am insured through AxA Insurance.

The crash I had involved the rebuilding of a garden wall, a third party vehicle to the value of €3000 and two personal injury claims for whiplash for the two occupants of the third party vehicle.

I am due for insurance renewal in September and I am scared to think what my insurance premium will increase to. Does anyone have any experience as to how these claims normally go? Will my insurance premium go up by much?

TIA for the help.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just wait until September.

Insurance is a funny business, I know of a person with 5k claim and his insurance was the same after renewal.

You are high risk in general and god knows what kind of figure they will come up with. If you had some ncb protection maybe you will get away with it somehow.

In short nobody knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I think it's time to get a Leap card!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 hatty444

Just to follow up with you as to the result of the situation to give the story some closure.

The claim was settled with a value to the region of €15,000. This resulted in me earning zero no claims bonus in my first year as a new driver.

I called into my Local AXA Branch and told the story as I found that the conversations I was having over the phone didn't seem to help. All calls are recorded and it doesn't matter what they say over the phone, once the say it they have to stick to it so they couldn't really advise me on a one to one basis. The chap in the local branch said that my insurance shouldn't go up or down, that it should stay relatively the same, he wasn't being recorded for training and quality purposes.

He explained it like this:
    When you are insured as a new driver. You are insured as a 19 yearold with a full license, 0 years driving experience, 0 NCB. After my first year, I would be insured as a 20 yearold with a full license, 1 years driving experience and 0 NCB. The claim seems to have little leverage on the insurance permium.

So in essence, your insurance goes up because you have lost your NCB, not because you have a claim.

I renewed to the same tune of €2500, Third Party Fire and Theft.

In October I bought a 2016 Seat Ibiza, 1L. When I rang AxA to swap the insurance over to the new car, my premium was reduced to €1000, fully comprehensive.

Turns out making a claim wasn't the end of the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

hatty444 wrote: »
    Just to follow up with you as to the result of the situation to give the story some closure.

The claim was settled with a value to the region of €15,000. This resulted in me earning zero no claims bonus in my first year as a new driver.

I called into my Local AXA Branch and told the story as I found that the conversations I was having over the phone didn't seem to help. All calls are recorded and it doesn't matter what they say over the phone, once the say it they have to stick to it so they couldn't really advise me on a one to one basis. The chap in the local branch said that my insurance shouldn't go up or down, that it should stay relatively the same, he wasn't being recorded for training and quality purposes.

He explained it like this:
    When you are insured as a new driver. You are insured as a 19 yearold with a full license, 0 years driving experience, 0 NCB. After my first year, I would be insured as a 20 yearold with a full license, 1 years driving experience and 0 NCB. The claim seems to have little leverage on the insurance permium.

So in essence, your insurance goes up because you have lost your NCB, not because you have a claim.

I renewed to the same tune of €2500, Third Party Fire and Theft.

In October I bought a 2016 Seat Ibiza, 1L. When I rang AxA to swap the insurance over to the new car, my premium was reduced to €1000, fully comprehensive.

Turns out making a claim wasn't the end of the world!

Thanks for that. I had a few crashes. Total about 3.5k Three crashes to be precise. Only one involved another car. Accident might be better term . Zurich tried to ride me with 1600 only third party etc. I went to xcess direct and got 1300 fully comprehensive but with 3k excess.
    If you have a car of any value then third party ain't enough.
    There is little rhyme or reason in the way they operate. My policy came down to 860 this year . They intially wanted to charge me 1100 but I spoofed them and told them I had an offer of 900. Wish I spoofed them more !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

3 crashes is a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

3 crashes is a lot!
    Two of them single vehicle. Otherwise known as ‘losing control’...

Losing control is an exaggeration and poor use of vocabulary.. In two cases I just badly parked and in another case I tipped a bumper. I was at a loss to actually see the dent.
    Losing control sounds like I spun off the road and wrote off the vehicle. Not the case at all but one loves a bit of hyperbole with ones tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nice story !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Bobtheman wrote: »
    In two cases I just badly parked

:confused:

as in you 'parked' into something else?

Sorry I forgot how being honest brings out sanctimonious pricks like above. Including the "moderator". Ban the **** away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement