Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life after 2 year ban

• 02-06-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else thats got their license back after 2 year ban (no insurance) tell what it was like in terms of endorsements, new insurance costs, difficulty in getting insurance and renting cars at home and abroad? If i moved abroad and switched license i guess my endorsements go with it?

Any experiences much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Not me, but a chap in work came back after a 2 year ban (dangerous driving) last Christmas. Was a nightmare getting insurance, eventually got FBD to cover him after a sit down meeting with the rep (covering their sizeable family farm already). Cost €4800 on a 1.6 diesel golf. Third party only, no anything else on the policy. Best of good luck with it, but it won't be easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yep, I got a 3 year ban in 2010 for drink driving. Got licence back after 2 years. Insurance first year back was 2000 euro on a BMW 525. The lady on the phone says that's very expensive do you want a quote on a smaller car, so I gave her the reg of my mother's micra and it was still 1700 if I remember correctly.
    So I bought the BMW!
    It came down every year and was only about 1000 by 2016. So not too bad. In 2017 the conviction was considered a spent conviction after 7 years so I didn't have to declare it to insurance any more.
    This year my insurance is 800 on an Audi a6 but its not related to conviction any more. But that's with a provisional licenced named driver on policy too. So it wasn't really a disaster for me, the guy that had to pay 4800 in another reply there really got shafted, maybe that's the way it is these days.
    I haven't rented a car since so no idea on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

That quote for €800 for a Audi A6 with a named driver with permit is very good, who with?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    That quote for €800 for a Audi A6 with a named driver with permit is very good, who with?

An Post, underwritten by FBD.
    Was 650 just for myself so 150 for the named driver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,204 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

An Post, underwritten by FBD.
    Was 650 just for myself so 150 for the named driver

im with Aviva, they wanted a €1100 to add my son on a provisional,1.6 2008 Zafira, im paying €280 fully comp on that,which i know is very cheap.

• Advertisement

I had to change my insurer to do it. I was with patrona last year and they wanted 3000 or something. So basically they just didn't want the business.

Advertisement