Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your gardening photos

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Redrubies wrote: »
    Our beautiful Ceonothus!

Wow, looks amazing. Didn't realise they got that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

smacl wrote: »

I have one about 3m tall but skinnier than that, its colour peaked a couple of weeks ago and looks a bit drab now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Mine seems to be a ground hugger, spreading out the way, not up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Maxton Sparse Cheesecake

smacl wrote: »

They have a large range of species from Ceanothus arboreus and Ceanothus griseus that grow 12 to 18 feet high and 15 to 20 feet wide to Ceanothus griseus horizontalis that grows 1 to 3 feet high with a spread to 4 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

bloopy wrote: »
    Wildlife and pollinator garden I've been building over an old lawn starting to come into flower. Got sick of mowing all the time.

29lfblw.png

2v0hfo1.png

vqtqpw.png

Bees!

15nr9e8.png

Beautiful. I’ve just bought house with a lovely garden. There is also an extra bit of land adjacent to the garden. There is nothing in it atm. Looking at this pic makes me consider a wild garden. How difficult is it to grow and then maintain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the garden a few weeks back, when the weather was a little better.

482904.jpg

• Not sure what this is , i cant actually remember if i planted it or did it just blow in from somewhere else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could be an agapanthus. Can we see the leaves, please?

• New Home wrote: »
    Could be an agapanthus. Can we see the leaves, please?

Hello, there is no leaves just a long narrow stem, and what you see on top of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Maxton Sparse Cheesecake

Could also be one of the alliums.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Devastation on the front porch this morning. :mad:

Stripped bare. Two seperate trees.

483294.jpg

483295.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Devastation on the front porch this morning. :mad:

Stripped bare. Two seperate trees.

483294.jpg

483295.jpg

OMG was that in full leaf prior to attack?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've seen this on a hedgerow recently, ermine moth caterpillars i think. about 20 foot of hedgerow stripped bare.

I've similar happen to my gooseberry bushes...saw fly caterpillars im sure.

On a more positive note.....that's a pretty attractive stone wall you have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Found this little creature peering in at me when I looked up from my book recently

v7xphi.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

OMG was that in full leaf prior to attack?

Yep. Just starting to look perfect for summer. Damage done in about 36 hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Love this plant

Canna, if I'm not mistaken. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

New Home wrote: »
    Canna, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Yes red velvet where we have our seating area in our new garden we have a few statement plants.

I adore those flowers and the contrast with the foliage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

ogvspt.jpg

Spuds in bags this year - the lazy gardener :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the smart farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

This might be a silly question, but how do you deal with blight in back garden spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

scarepanda wrote: »
    This might be a silly question, but how do you deal with blight in back garden spuds?

In my case I just hope they don't get it. If it's later in the season I'll cut the stalks back and try and save the crop. I have gotten blight lots of times used to spray them but even then it was hit and miss whether you'd protect them at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,819 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Beautifully uplifting :)

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Absolutely stunning (yes, I do say that a lot, but look at them!)

New Home wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning (yes, I do say that a lot, but look at them!)

Am quite proud tbh NH , they were left aside for many months , (weren't my plants ) . Found them , just watered them regularly and somehow they resurrected themselves , think me auld da would be lol at me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mam of 4 wrote: »

lily's ?

fryup wrote: »
    lily's ?

Yep , Asiatic Lilys I think fryup , am open to correction on that though !

• Advertisement

My first crop of potatoes this year :)

IMG_20190626_212556_50.jpg

Advertisement