Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacing fuse

• 30-05-2019 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could let me know. I need to replace the shower fuse on the bottom right, it blew a few months ago. Is this a job for an electrician, or could I do it myself. Obviously I know the basics, of turning off all electricity etc, is it just a matter of pulling out & putting new one back in. Or are there wires behind the box. I'm not opposed to getting an electrician at all, just curious if this a normal requirement! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 junglejim1

Can you describe more fully what has happened with the fuse (breaker). Is it tripping when you use the shower or is it not possible to reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭paudy1000

It doesn't reset, it goes up and down freely, as if it must have blown, so it looks like it has to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

paudy1000 wrote: »
    It doesn't reset, it goes up and down freely, as if it must have blown, so it looks like it has to be replaced.

You’ll need a REC for this

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In the picture, it seems to be in the On position...
    Some breakers when tripped, have to be manually moved and held in a position to be reset and then switched on.

It's not overly complicated, but best to get an electrician for following reasons.
    • Ensure contacts are securely tightened on copper
    • Ensure no wires are snagged when replacing fuse box cover
    • Ensure no other wires are inadvertently pulled out of connection point
    • To be aware that even though power might be turned off, the supply side of the main MCB will still be live

• Registered Users Posts: 24 8Choc

Its a definite job for electrician - you'd need to power off main breaker then pull the front panel of that distribution box and disconnect the breaker , replace and reconnect - also you'd need to verify shower and wiring was ok to see if something tripped it in the first place. Am pretty sure you would be breaking the law too . ( Also when your talking to the electrician remember to say circuit breaker cause thats not a fuse ) Hope you get it all sorted.

• Advertisement

8Choc wrote: »
    Its a definite job for electrician - you'd need to power off main breaker then pull the front panel of that distribution box and disconnect the breaker , replace and reconnect - also you'd need to verify shower and wiring was ok to see if something tripped it in the first place. Am pretty sure you would be breaking the law too . ( Also when your talking to the electrician remember to say circuit breaker cause thats not a fuse ) Hope you get it all sorted.

Also... Breakers dont usually fail like that - could be a good chance the problem is with the shower unit itself .

Ok perfect lads, thanks for the help. If there could be more to it, then definitely will get someone in! Appreciate your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

8Choc wrote:
    Also... Breakers dont usually fail like that - could be a good chance the problem is with the shower unit itself .

I second this, in my experience it's rarely the breaker. Much more likely that it's the shower or the pull cord that's faulty.

Getting an electrician in to do some testing will be cheaper than just chaging all of these items yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Does the breaker still fail to set when the shower isolator switch is set to off?

If so its either the breaker (which is odd) or the wiring between the breaker and the isolation switch...which could be bad news but hopefully would just be a loose connection.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As above, not a DIY job.

From a safety perspective this work should only be carried out by a qualified electrician. From a legal perspective this work should only be carried out by a Registered Electrical Contractor.

• Advertisement

Would there be a LED on/off light on the pullcord switch in the bathroom ?

8Choc wrote: »

There is an LED, this doesn't work anymore either, since the breaker failed.

Advertisement