Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 IRC Postgraduate Scholarship

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pandora13

Hoggy159 wrote: »
    Howayas lads,

Got a reserve place there on the STEM applications.

Can anyone tell me what the story is about deadlines for accepting your conditional offers or if there is one at all?

Well done as well to the successful lads

The email asked for a response by 12 April 2019 on whether we were accepting the offer or not. But it said the minute someone rejects an offer, an offer will be made to someone else who is on the reserve list by rank. Best of luck, hope you get the place and won't have to wait too long! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 coolmobile

I also got a reserve place in STEM. Were those who also got the reserve list email given the range that applicants had to score to be put in the reserve list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hoggy159

coolmobile wrote: »
    I also got a reserve place in STEM. Were those who also got the reserve list email given the range that applicants had to score to be put in the reserve list?

My email said the reserve range was from 84.5 to 88 points. Was this the same as what yours said?

Hoggy159 wrote: »
    My email said the reserve range was from 84.5 to 88 points. Was this the same as what yours said?

Yeah, mine said the exact same! I’m still hoping we’ll get it 🤞🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kelly_d

I have some doubts regarding the IRC scholarship. Could someone help me?

I´m afraid to accept it and then not having enough money for expenses, because the rents are so high.

the scholarship is 16000 per year, this amount is paid monthly for the 12 months of the year, 1333 per month?
    they usually pay on time?

the 2500 a year for research expenses, we have to pay with our money and then we are reimbursed? How long does it take to get the refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

kelly_d wrote: »
    I have some doubts regarding the IRC scholarship. Could someone help me?

I´m afraid to accept it and then not having enough money for expenses, because the rents are so high.

the scholarship is 16000 per year, this amount is paid monthly for the 12 months of the year, 1333 per month?
    they usually pay on time?

the 2500 a year for research expenses, we have to pay with our money and then we are reimbursed? How long does it take to get the refund?
    Hi Kelly, so yes, IRC gives your scholarship to your institution (Trinity/UCD/NUIG/etc) and you are paid monthly on the payroll date. In Trinity this is on the 20th of the month and has always been on time.

With regards research expenses- so far I have used a bit of mine for training courses/software etc. In these instances- I was able to raise a purchase order from the college and they paid for the services directly. If you are buying a computer, often the college will have a supplier and they can do the transaction on your behalf from your research expense account. Your supervisor will approve any such purchases and in my case the School administrator organised everything for me. I do know from others that if you pay for something yourself and need to be reimbursed- it is usually done fairly quickly (separate to payroll and usually in a couple of days/ 1 week max).

In relation to living in Dublin- rent is outrageous, not so sure about elsewhere. It is manageable though in shared accommodation (I currently pay €575 p/m for a small single room, though I know I am lucky). I do have to be meticulous about my spending and have a monthly budget but so far it is manageable and I have a social life- albeit a bit more conservative than if I was in full-time employment. I don't really drink, so my social expenses are really limited to going for dinner occasionally with friends or cinema. The usual.

There are opportunities for exam invigilation etc which can pay well, as a means of topping up your income. Be careful in terms of engagement with teaching in the university. This is totally worthwhile and a good tick-box exercise if you wish to pursue a career in academia, but can be very time consuming. Make sure you balance workload with your PhD obligations. It's what you are there to do.

In my opinion, it's doable and I hope it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck with it all.

Thank you very much dco_1987 ;). Can I also ask you if the payment is divided by 12 months, just to know how much I have per month for rent, food, public transport, etc.
    The single rooms that I have seen on the net are around 800 and 900 euros, so I'll have to be very careful with the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

Hey- so yeah, the stipend started on September 20th and will be paid in 24 installments (I applied for 2 years funding). Yeah- accommodation is the biggest killer. If you can get a decent owner occupier who is doing the room to let scheme, it can be cheaper. But you have to be sure that they are not going to be awkward about weekend stays etc. Get in touch with your host institution and see if they have anything coming up on their bulletins. I know that in some colleges you can apply to live on campus as a resident assistant (rent free). Only thing with this is dealing with 1st year undergrads etc. But can be a way of saving money. Where will you be based? I was in Maynooth and now Trinity so I'd only really know those areas for rent.

Has anyone on the reserve list heard back yet?

Hi dco_1987,
    again, thank you so much for all the information you gave me. Meanwhile, I discovered a room rental website and I've started looking.
    We will see :)

• Advertisement

Hi coolmobile,
    those who received a conditional offer have until the end of May to present the proof of the academic degrees, I think that who is on the reserve list should be contacted after that date, but I'm not sure.
    I think the number of scholarships is insufficient and I wish everyone good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 conor_od98

Anyone in STEM doing a PhD with IRC funding able to tell me what grades they got in 3rd/4th year if they went straight in after the degree? Currently sitting 3rd year exams in hopes to apply next semester?

conor_od98 wrote: »
    Anyone in STEM doing a PhD with IRC funding able to tell me what grades they got in 3rd/4th year if they went straight in after the degree? Currently sitting 3rd year exams in hopes to apply next semester?

Hey Conor,
    I can't speak as someone who is IRC funded but I can tell you it isn't all based on grades. My GPA was maintained between 81 - 85% for the four years of my undergrad and I was put on the reserve list. Those who were rejected got a breakdown of the grade given to their application under the headings Applicant (40 marks), Project (40 marks), Training and Career Development (10 marks), and Environment (10 marks).
    Hope this helps.

Also, does anyone know of anyone who got an offer this year and is planning on rejecting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 monireh

Hi

I got a reserve place on 2022 AHSS with a 93. Is it possible to get the award yet? 😢😢

Advertisement