Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bow hunting on privet land

• 28-09-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi. I know that bow hunting is illegal in Ireland but can I hunt using bow on privet land if I have permission ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

You answered that in the first half of your sentence. Bow hunting is illegal in Ireland. Regardless of having permission from landowner. Fines are pretty hefty. If your looking to hunt with bow the only chance is to go to a country where its permitted and legal. Some places offer hunting trips. May be worth noting that you may require a permit also.

Hope this helps answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 arturguz1984

So You want tell me if my friend have a land and let me go out there I still can't do it ?? If I own something no one can't stop me to not do things on privet land no ?? Own bow in Ireland is legal so I think I'm OK to go and shoot or training shoots on land I have permission to hunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

privet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just because you do something illegal on private land doesn't make it legal!

Yeah if I own land to build house for example and around have a bit of woods and fields it's mine no ?? Privet so I can do there whatever I want no ??

• Advertisement

OK I get You do it illegal stuff on privet land don't mean is legal, but we talk about bow hunting rabbits, pheasant or fox not killing people with a a47.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yeah if I own land to build house for example and around have a bit of woods and fields it's mine no ?? Privet so I can do there whatever I want no ??

No. You would need planning permission to build a house and its illegal to hunt with a bow regardless of who owns the land. Just because you own something doesn't mean that the law changes.

Del2005 wrote: »
    No. You would need planning permission to build a house and its illegal to hunt with a bow regardless of who owns the land. Just because you own something doesn't mean that the law changes.
    Ok but if is my land You have no rights to walk in and stop me no ? If is my land also with law no one have permission to walk in to my possession is that right ??

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Ok but if is my land You have no rights to walk in and stop me no ? If is my land also with law no one have permission to walk in to my possession is that right ??

They can report you to the Garda who will most certainly walk onto your land requiring only permission from a judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

The authorities do if they suspect you're doing something illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Do you think it's OK to grow marijuana in a private house because it's more or less the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If you want to hunt on private land get a gun licence and hunt.
    Bow hunting is Illegal in Ireland under the wildlife act.
    If you want to have your bow taken off you and end up going to prison along with a hefty fine go right ahead. But as it has been said several times it is Illegal, the only way you could legally hunt with a bow is under licence directly from the minister himself.
    It is Illegal for a reason the animal has the potential to suffer a great deal more in comparison to being shot with a firearm.
    So just forget about it or go on a hunting trip to the states where it is legal to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sorry to say but you won't be allowed to do it in Ireland.

This is an old thread discussing same that you might find interesting.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057684553&page=2

juice1304 wrote: »
    If you want to hunt on private land get a gun licence and hunt.
    Bow hunting is Illegal in Ireland under the wildlife act.
    If you want to have your bow taken off you and end up going to prison along with a hefty fine go right ahead. But as it has been said several times it is Illegal, the only way you could legally hunt with a bow is under licence directly from the minister himself.
    It is Illegal for a reason the animal has the potential to suffer a great deal more in comparison to being shot with a firearm.
    So just forget about it or go on a hunting trip to the states where it is legal to do so.

Mouse, rat suffer also in trap before die and is not illegal. Firearm is to easy that's another thing. You need a serious skills to be close enough to take a shoot from bow so that's another reason where bow hunt should be legal. Ferrets hunt or greyhound also make suffer animal and everyone does. So it is completely crazy and with no any sense law. Other thing walking with bow around woods and fields is not illegal yes ?? I can have a bow in my hand so You have to catch me by my hand on shoot time, take a photo/video or see with dead animal and bow same time to prove I done illegal stuff yes ?? I can walk around the woods with bow and practice 3d targets shoots.

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Do you think it's OK to grow marijuana in a private house because it's more or less the same thing
    Dude marijuana is a drug, I hunt to eat not to make others junkies, a bit stupid comparing if you ask me

But as I say I can walk with bow in my hands around the woods and fields. I can practice only yes ?? Practice targets I mean. If you have no prove that I actually do hunt live animals or I have no dead animal with me I'm free to enjoy wildlife and practice targets shooting is that's right ??

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

christ

christ

What ?? What's the Christ about ??

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭SVI40

It's illegal, end of.

And your posts here would make nice circumstantial evidence if you were charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

But as I say I can walk with bow in my hands around the woods and fields. I can practice only yes ?? Practice targets I mean. If you have no prove that I actually do hunt live animals or I have no dead animal with me I'm free to enjoy wildlife and practice targets shooting is that's right ??

I'm sorry, but why are you dragging this out?

- Hunting/shooting your bow at an animal is illegal.
    - Shooting your bow at another (lifeless) target is legal for everyone without permission.

It's that simple. There is no use discussing and bargaining with users here, because even if they 100% agreed with you that there's no harm in hunting with bow and arrow, noone here can change the law.

You can shoot an arrow at a rabbit, you can kill your mother in law, you can grow cannabis, and even when you do all that in a corner of your own property, when noone sees you, and noone ever finds out, that still doesn't change the fact it's illegal.

• Advertisement

Wildcard7 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but why are you dragging this out?

- Hunting/shooting your bow at an animal is illegal.
    - Shooting your bow at another (lifeless) target is legal for everyone without permission.

It's that simple. There is no use discussing and bargaining with users here, because even if they 100% agreed with you that there's no harm in hunting with bow and arrow, noone here can change the law.

You can shoot an arrow at a rabbit, you can kill your mother in law, you can grow cannabis, and even when you do all that in a corner of your own property, when noone sees you, and noone ever finds out, that still doesn't change the fact it's illegal.

And that's exactly I'm talking about. Thank You

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Question has been answered. Thread closed.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement