Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Container Tomato plant in veg bed

• 15-06-2019 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭

Ive just realised that I mistakenly got a container tomato plant a few weeks ago. I've planted it in the veg bed in the greenhouse, is it ok to leave it where it is or would I be better off moving it while I still can? It's about 10/12 inches tall at the moment.

If it's ok to leave it where it is, is there anything I should do differently with it or can I treat it like a normal plant and string it up etc? Presumably I don't need to take out side shoots? The different growth pattern is what I noticed with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I would guess that the difference between a container tomato plant and any other variety is probably that the container one can withstand having less room for its roots, and/or is a plant that won't grow as big. I'd say treat it like any other tomato plant and it'll be happy. Would you know the name of the variety?

Incidentally, if you wait until the side shoots are about 15cm long, when you break them off you can plant them directly into the soil - most of them will take roots, and you'll have more tomato plants who will grow faster than the ones you seeded (it's as if they got a head start).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Red profusion is the name on the label anyways. I think it's one that tumbles? I'm not sure though. There doesn't seem to be any 'proper' shoots to pick out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's a trailing variety it might be difficult to keep it upright, and if left on the ground the plant/fruit may rot, be more subject to being eaten ("may" being the key word). If you think you can somehow manage to keep it off the ground, then leave it there, otherwise try and lift it and put it in a large pot. I read that it "grows 8-12 in. tall and 2-2.5 ft. wide."

Someone else may have a better suggestion, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

I would recommend to remove the side shoots except if it is a cherry tomato plant.
    Otherwise the plant will use too much energy feeding the shoots and leaves.

It is a cherry tomato plant. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Dunno if it helps you but i've been in same situation couple of months ago.
    Due to bad weather this spring, too cold to move the vegies outside and they grew over too much in the house.

Kept them inside as much i could then,when moved in the greenhouse, i removed only the bottom of the plastic container without affecting the healthy roots and inserted in the soil. Happy days,roots and vegies...

482974.jpg

482975.jpg

482976.jpg

Advertisement