Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should the driving test be recorded for impartiality?

• 08-06-2019 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

In my opinion, the driving test should be recorded for impartiality in order to expedite the appeals process.

If a person sits a written examination, the script is retained for a period of time so it can be recorrected by a second person and it can be viewed by the test candidate and they can be explained to where they went wrong and where they lost marks.

When I did my German, French and Irish oral exams in 2008 for the leaving certificate when I was 16, the examiner recorded our conversations on a tape in case the result was to be appealed. So there is no issue recording state exams if anyone says otherwise.

A general test sheet telling candidates in the driving test where they went wrong is insufficient as some of the boxes are very generic.

I passed my car test in 2011 and failed my bus test recently, I struck a kerb with the back wheel turning right so I didn't dispute it. I agree that I didn't deserve to pass, but it's not always so black and white.

My friend was doing her drivng test recently. She passed but got a couple grade 2s. They were for progress.

One of them was when she was driving around Raheny in a 30 km/h zone, she drove at 30 km/h on the dot, the other was when she didn't move off instantly at a green, because she correctly predicted that the cars on the other junction were going to barge through their red. Collecting extra grade 2s where they are not deserved could mean the difference between a pass and a fail.

If the test was conducted with a dash cam fitted and maybe one facing the test candidate to prove observation or coasting (or lack thereof) would the whole test be more impartial? This would also reduce the possibility of corruption (which I'd say is extremely rare anyway).

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's always the people who fail who have new ideas for the driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Witcher wrote: »

I passed my car test in 2011 and failed my bus test recently, I struck a kerb with the back wheel turning right so I didn't dispute it. I agree that I didn't deserve to pass, but it's not always so black and white.

It's always the people who can't read who post antagonistic remarks :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You failed a test, now you've a new idea, point proven.

I passed my car test. I failed my bust test which I said I'm not disputing.

I'm talking about situations where it's the candidates word against the examiners and to eliminate the possibility of bribery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There’s merit to the idea, but you’d probably nearly need 360 cameras outwards and inwards. There’s a lot of judgement required when driving, adjusting to the conditions around you, and I don’t know if a camera would capture everything. Do other countries do anything similar?

• Advertisement

Can a mod address this areshole's post.

He's clearly selective quoting in order to fish for thanks on this site.

I literally did not says that I am disputing a failed result.

I clearly said that I passed my car test and failed my bus test and agreed I deserved to fail. Now the prick is ignoring me after being called out as a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Halfdane

Well, I just passed my driving test having never failed one before, and I do think the tests should be recorded. So maybe we're not all just looking to prove we were marked wrongly but actually want some impartial evidence as to where we went wrong?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This could get interesting

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Can a mod address this areshole's post.

He's clearly selective quoting in order to fish for thanks on this site.

I literally did not says that I am disputing a failed result.

I clearly said that I passed my car test and failed my bus test and agreed I deserved to fail. Now the prick is ignoring me after being called out as a troll.

Regardless of whether or the poster agrees with you or not personal abuse such as this won’t be tolerated. You can take this as a final warning.

Which failed test am I disputing?

I clerly said I agreed with the testers verdict.

Idiot.

Mod note, user banned

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement