Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bottle Bank

Options
  • 25-05-2019 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

I have being searching awhile now to why local authorities discontinued the plastic bottle bring bank, not sure if this was a nationwide decision but certainly in my area of Co. Louth, this move is not exactly encouraging people to recycle in a country that’s already struggling with environmental issues.
    My recycling bin is noticeably full in no time as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

francie81 wrote: »
    I have being searching awhile now to why local authorities discontinued the plastic bottle bring bank, not sure if this was a nationwide decision but certainly in my area of Co. Louth, this move is not exactly encouraging people to recycle in a country that’s already struggling with environmental issues.

Anyone???

Hard to believe how I haven’t got one response to this indeed talking to myself I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,872 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't know for sure, but likely connected to increased costs of recycling or fake recycling \\ burning since china stopped taking plastics.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't know for sure, but likely connected to increased costs of recycling or fake recycling \\ burning since china stopped taking plastics.

Ok. But if not China then soneone elsewhere is when we are still recycling it, and the public did not get a clear briefing on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Anyone???
    Expecting a response within 2 hours .. on a Saturday? Everyone is at the recycling tip I expect.

I'm don't think I've seen a plastic bottle bring-bank on the steet in Cork in the past ten years. The paper and carboard banks disappeared years ago.
    My most convenient bottle and can bank were removed following the rebuilding of the local community centre.

Yes, recycling facilities are woefully inadequate in many parts of the country. And yet Repac say we're better than the EU average for recycling so we don't to make any effort to improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's probably for the same reason that you don't want to put them in your own recycling bin,
    The bins fill up very fast with high volume / low weight plastic bottles, add to this that plastic isn't easy to properly recycle,and is expensive to sort too.. Try squishing the bottles,??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    It's probably for the same reason that you don't want to put them in your own recycling bin,
    The bins fill up very fast with high volume / low weight plastic bottles, add to this that plastic isn't easy to properly recycle,and is expensive to sort too.. Try squishing the bottles,??

I know but if that were the case it would defy the whole reason of having bring banks in the first place.

Oh believe me I compact as much as I can but cheers for the tip ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I only ever get plastic bottles from milk as I refill my one water bottle every day.

The milk cartons I cut in half just below the handles. The bottom half, pierced, makes an excellent seed/ seedling planter and when you put the top on, a mini greenhouse.
    Same with meat/chicken trays..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes Francie, Louth CC did away with plastic bottle recycling bins because, they said, they were spending a few hundred thousand a year to get rid of the bottles. It seems nobody really wants them. Likewise, our home recycling bins are filling much quicker as a result and one has to wonder what is actually happening to these bottles if there's no demand to recycle them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Graces7 wrote: »
    I only ever get plastic bottles from milk as I refill my one water bottle every day.

The milk cartons I cut in half just below the handles. The bottom half, pierced, makes an excellent seed/ seedling planter and when you put the top on, a mini greenhouse.
    Same with meat/chicken trays..

Grace you're absolutely right with the plastic bottles as mini greenhouses. I planted 12 lettuce plants a few weeks ago, I cut 2ltr plastic bottles in half and popped the top half over 6 of the plants with the tops off. Those plants are now twice the size of the plants which were left out to fend for themselves in the elements. I just removed the bottles yesterday. Worked a treat!

• Advertisement

Yes Francie, Louth CC did away with plastic bottle recycling bins because, they said, they were spending a few hundred thousand a year to get rid of the bottles. It seems nobody really wants them. Likewise, our home recycling bins are filling much quicker as a result and one has to wonder what is actually happening to these bottles if there's no demand to recycle them.

Well said.

And because it’s plastic which appears to be one or is hardest to recycle with the onus being put on manufacturers to come up with another form of material.

Advertisement