Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gas Hob using bottled gas - Whats average usage?

• 02-04-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi - I have gas hob and am using a standard 11kg calor orange bottle , I seem to be replacing it every 2 months . Anybody know if this is average usage ( for a family ) ? , or could it mean a small leak ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If you think you have a leak or smell unburned gas have it looked at immediately, otherwise you are getting the same out of the bottle as our house and we have no leak

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you think you have a leak or smell unburned gas have it looked at immediately, otherwise you are getting the same out of the bottle as our house and we have no leak

Much the same here although usually nearer 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

8Choc wrote: »
    Hi - I have gas hob and am using a standard 11kg calor orange bottle , I seem to be replacing it every 2 months . Anybody know if this is average usage ( for a family ) ? , or could it mean a small leak ?

If you do a lot of "long" cooking, casseroles and the like, or have a big family it's probably right. We get nearer 3 months out of ours in summer but maybe only 2 in winter, amd I only have one son at home all the time now.

Do you consciously "save" gas a little, eg keep lids on saucepans with water in them, use an electric kettle for boiling water for tea etc? That makes a difference to how much you get out of your bottle IME.

BTW any time I get a smell of gas, it's always been because the bottle is nearly empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

We'd get more than 2 months out of bottle. That seems v short to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

I know we have fairly low usage, but We get around 9 months!

• Advertisement

PCeeeee wrote: »
    We'd get more than 2 months out of bottle. That seems v short to me.

If you are using the oven, that is about right. Just the hob and it lasts much longer.

My downfall has always been boiling water for hot water bottles as I refuse to clock up esb bills so never use an electric kettle. But in winter the flame warms the house anyways..needed that this month too!

My electricity bill is in and is delightfully, wonderfully tiny! Gas forever!

Graces7 wrote: »
    If you are using the oven, that is about right. Just the hob and it lasts much longer.

My downfall has always been boiling water for hot water bottles as I refuse to clock up esb bills so never use an electric kettle. But in winter the flame warms the house anyways..needed that this month too!

My electricity bill is in and is delightfully, wonderfully tiny! Gas forever!

Boiling water with kettle is cheaper.

Boiling water with kettle is cheaper.

Disagree, as the change has massively reduced my power bill.... and I choose gas as I can pay ahead and not dread the bill. Mostly I boil a cup at a time only.

I started doing this when I came here and the difference is amazing.

Apologies Graces7, I just looked it up here https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

You are correct, I remember I looked it up before but clearly had it mixed up in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Totally out of the Topic, but worth a browse:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261916303579

Very hard to find direct comparison of Electricity Vs Gas, but for me the convenience and speed of the Electric kettle wins every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/smart-consumer/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-31114473.html
    According to this , based on boiling a kettle for half an hour per day, it costs about a euro a week. I boil mine about 5 times a day..less than 2 minutes each time so that's approx 35cents a week.
    On topic, I have a gas hob (electric oven) which I use every day, .the regular orange/yellow tanks lasts 4 to 5 months.

Apologies Graces7, I just looked it up here https://www.seai.ie/resources/publications/Domestic-Fuel-Cost-Comparison.pdf

You are correct, I remember I looked it up before but clearly had it mixed up in my head.

all ok; I realised as I was cleaning the cooker that maybe you were referring to mains gas rather than bottled.

It works for me on my small pension. Before my summer power bill was more than my winter one .

whizbang wrote: »
    Totally out of the Topic, but worth a browse:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261916303579

Very hard to find direct comparison of Electricity Vs Gas, but for me the convenience and speed of the Electric kettle wins every time.

That's OK. I see the results on my bills .No need for speed here. A leisurely life. ;)

And for a single cup there is also the microwave..

I love my gas cooker. warm my hands at its living flame. And don't own a kettle of any description.

Advertisement