Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Destiny 2.0 (PC)

• 28-08-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

So, Destiny is coming to PC. I have never played Destiny so I am curious to give this a shot. I am expecting a more 'serious' Halo in terms of style and gameplay.

Anyone else picking this up? Its out in October for the Master Race, but only one more week to wait for those on consoles.

I will be streaming the beta at 4K on my twitch channel if anyone is interested in seeing.

www.twitch.tv/theliber8or

Is it basically The Division MMO? Hopefully, its decent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Will check out the Beta and see what I think.

Looks like Halo and Borderlands had a baby tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Id probably compare it more to Warframe than anything else mentioned so far. Well Destiny 1 anyway.

Doesnt look like lots is gonna change for Destiny 2 so id say it will be quite similar to 1.

Its absolutely best enjoyed in a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Yeah, a prettier Borderlands (depending on what type of art style you appreciate) without the personality. It is a beautiful looking game and the gameplay mechanics are solid, but I can't see how people who didn't like The Division would like this. Its a looter-shooter but with less loot from what I can tell.

Is there a free-roam option? Can you wander around like in a normal MMO? Or are you simply teleporting from mission to mission all the time? The beta is very limited, but I might give it a go again later.

Right now my thoughts lie with s'alright, but I wouldn't be dropping 60 euro on this. If anything, I kind of want to go back and play The Division again. Destiny has the beautiful vistas and worlds, but The Division had the atmosphere and made New York look spectacular.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Its absolutely best enjoyed in a group.

Yeah, I was trying to talk to the people in the Fire-Strike(?) mission I was doing, but no communication. Is the loot limited to just bosses? No random loot found while exploring?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah, a prettier Borderlands (depending on what type of art style you appreciate) without the personality. It is a beautiful looking game and the gameplay mechanics are solid, but I can't see how people who didn't like The Division would like this. Its a looter-shooter but with less loot from what I can tell.

Is there a free-roam option? Can you wander around like in a normal MMO? Or are you simply teleporting from mission to mission all the time? The beta is very limited, but I might give it a go again later.

Right now my thoughts lie with s'alright, but I wouldn't be dropping 60 euro on this. If anything, I kind of want to go back and play The Division again. Destiny has the beautiful vistas and worlds, but The Division had the atmosphere and made New York look spectacular.

There are free roam areas on several planets around the solar system. The mission usually take place within them (or did in the first game anyway).

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was trying to talk to the people in the Fire-Strike(?) mission I was doing, but no communication. Is the loot limited to just bosses? No random loot found while exploring?

Not from things like hidden chests usually,loots are dropped as engrams which then decode at a later time. There are chests in the game and from time to time you will need to get the items in them,usually a quest to go with it too though.

The beta is limited in the extreme,they are playing up the story a lot so i assume part of it being so limited is they want to keep it under wraps. So you get the starter mission,1 strike and a sample of PvP stuff and thats it.

Not sure how it works on PC but in Destiny 1 you could turn the game chat on and off using the dpad. Id assume theres a hot key on PC for it.

Its not much to go on really the beta,if you hadnt played destiny 1 it probably isnt enough to sway you to buy or avoid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They deliberately kept the beta small to temper expectation a bit i think. The first game's beta had quite a lot to do in it but it turned out being a large chunk of the finished game and the size of the beta (and the game's marketing/e3 showings to be fair) made it seem like the finished article was going to be much bigger than it was.

I have to say though for a game clearly directed towards the console market, it is a very solid PC shooter. I couldn't detect any input lag and the performance was strong. It felt a lot better than COD: AW (the last COD I played) and far superior looking without that typical console blur in the distance. Dare I say, it felt like it was designed for PC and maybe ported to consoles afterwards?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The original irritated me in that it was such a hyped game on console, it was 'revolutionary' and it does things never seen before etc... despite games like Borderlands, Planetside or Warframe existing on PC for years. And surprise surprise, it wasn't all that.

Many of my guild mates are giving it a go, but I won't, until it's a proven fun and solid game. If it's like the first, not a hope.

The original irritated me in that it was such a hyped game on console, it was 'revolutionary' and it does things never seen before etc... despite games like Borderlands, Planetside or Warframe existing on PC for years. And surprise surprise, it wasn't all that.

That is not too dissimilar to the hype around the Halo franchise. A game which manifested a cult following declaring it to be the greatest FPS ever made. In truth, it was a pretty bog standard FPS with a decent soundtrack and solid shooting mechanics. The misguided achievement of Bungie's infamous shooter is the fact that it managed to bring a FPS game on to console to begin with; providing a decent control system and multiplayer. Both of which, were already present on the PC for some years - Half-life, Quake, Hexen, Duke Nukem, DOOM, Unreal Tournament, etc. etc.

The more I think about it, the more I feel Destiny requires co-op. You need to be playing with friends in order to get some enjoyment as many of these types of games are highly repetitive (I played enough MMOs over the years and grinding gear gets tedious fast unless you have drunk friends talking **** to pass the time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That is not too dissimilar to the hype around the Halo franchise. A game which manifested a cult following declaring it to be the greatest FPS ever made. In truth, it was a pretty bog standard FPS with a decent soundtrack and solid shooting mechanics.

Halo was a cracking game to be fair, and that's from me as a PC player to the core (never had a console). There were parts of it that were genuinely innovative, regnerating health was not a Halo invention but it did popularize it. The story was good, the gameplay was (for the most part) very good and the maps were far better than most of it's time.

I wouldn't compare Destiny to Halo, though I take the point you are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is there any way to pre load this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

is there any way to pre load this?

Nope. Servers will open at 6 and go down again at 6.03 due to overload :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll be picking this up anyway. Enjoyed it on the consoles, even when i really don't like controllers for FPS games.

Didn't realise it was an open beta tonight. Will definitely give it a go over the weekend.

Kiith wrote: »
    I'll be picking this up anyway. Enjoyed it on the consoles, even when i really don't like controllers for FPS games.

Didn't realise it was an open beta tonight. Will definitely give it a go over the weekend.

Ends on the 31/8 :(

Can install it now. 16GB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Over the weekend, the video below was posted whose aim is to explain the main story and high level lore to newcomers to Destiny. It's actually pretty decent so if you can sit through the full 90mins, or even tackle it in chunks, I'd recommend it.

Essentially it goes through the backstory to the game's events and then from the 49min mark begins to run through the players actions in the main game and the DLC. Obviously it's a complete spoiler in this latter section.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ends on the 31/8 :(

An open beta for 3 days ( and on Tuesday-Thursday)? What sort of timeline is that? Ah well, guess i'll be waiting till launch.

Kiith wrote: »
    An open beta for 2 days (Tuesday-Thursday)? What sort of timeline is that? Ah well, guess i'll be waiting till launch.

There's only about an hour or so worth of game play in it. Pretty baffled they aren't having it at the weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Anybody ran into issues with setting 1080p resolutions? Cant seem to get it for Fullscreen.

• Advertisement

Played an hour or so tonight and it runs very, very well on a 1080.

Nice looking game with some excellent and sometimes annoying particle and lensflare effects.

Only managed to play one fireteam mission, didnt really have a clue what was going on other than shoot stuff until you run out of ammo, then ninja punch stuff and hope they drop ammo.

Yeah, it runs extremely well. Gunplay is very good as well, though that's to be expected with Destiny. The difference a mouse and keyboard makes to it though is incredible. Far more likely to spend time with it on release.

Ammo drops are still on the 'to be tweaked list' along with a few other things i think.

They said some would be tweaked by PC beta and others would be on release.

Abilities charging too slowly on the console beta was another bug bear for people. Although perks on guns/armour may help players tweak that themselves on release anyway,the perk system is not fully in the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

seems like a fairly basic shooter to me. big hype but not much substance for a PC gaming experience or am I missing something?

Co-Op seems good but does it become a problem if you have more than 4 regular players that you play with? Would someone who only plays at weekends be far behind the regular players?

Also whats the deal with Blizzard adding numbers to your username?

I generally go for a username that transcends all gaming thingies but blizzard calls me kdjac#2529

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

When I read it wasn't pure dedicated server this got put on the backburner. I'm expecting it to be a sh*tfest of hacks and lag.

EDIT I got burned with The Division and I imagine Bungie has no experience of dealing with hacking coming from a console centric background.

seems like a fairly basic shooter to me. big hype but not much substance for a PC gaming experience or am I missing something?

Co-Op seems good but does it become a problem if you have more than 4 regular players that you play with? Would someone who only plays at weekends be far behind the regular players?

The beta is quite limited,it really is just a slice of what to expect. The mission you play in the tower to me is just an intro that covers the time between D1 and D2 and sets up the real start of the game.

Up to 6 player fire teams in raids which is the largest fireteam you can have while doing something we know of so far.

Players can push ahead alright. Teams can carry lower level players to a degree though. The higher the level difference though the harder it is obviuosly

EDIT: Just to add to this,Clans are going to be a big part of destiny. They help if friends are doing something and their fireteam is full,can just join other clan memebers. Bungie certainly want the game to be a social experience.

When I read it wasn't pure dedicated server this got put on the backburner. I'm expecting it to be a sh*tfest of hacks and lag.

EDIT I got burned with The Division and I imagine Bungie has no experience of dealing with hacking coming from a console centric background.

They mentioned using battle.net instead of steam etc so they could have more control over the security. Weather it will work in the long run remains to be seen.

You have to play to play this via Blizzard.net, they have one or 2 PC online games on the go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

EoinHef wrote: »
    [/B]

They mentioned using battle.net instead of steam etc so they could have more control over the security. Weather it will work in the long run remains to be seen.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    You have to play to play this via Blizzard.net, they have one or 2 PC online games on the go.

Yes but are they providing anti cheat services/knowledge or just letting them use some servers/being a distribution point?

Regardless of that there is still peer to peer involved so I'm definitely sitting it out for a month or two.

Advertisement