Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandmother used first name as middle name - problem for FBR?

• 11-05-2018 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    A long shot I know but I thought I'd ask. My gran used her first name at birth as a middle name when she moved to England and married my grandad. Given this was the 30s and they were poor as church mice no deed polls exist.
    I'm wanting to move to Ireland and avoid the grief with legal statuses now the UK has lost it's marbles and is going ahead with Brexit so I'd like to get my citizenship beforehand.
    Anyone know if this is something that will make the department reject an application for FBR?
    As an example, imagine someone was born Anne Smith and then later decided she wanted to be called Mary. Her marriage and death certs both say Mary Anne Smith which don't match the birth cert of Anne Smith.
    Yours,
    Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It should not. You will just need to prove the chain of evidence. Get your gran's birth cert from Ireland - a full legal copy, and a legal copy of her marriage certificate. You may also need to get her baptismal cert to show both names.

Pedro will no doubt confirm but you don't need a deed poll change to go by your middle name. I could start using Esmeralda* tomorrow no bother.

*not my real middle name

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement