Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

kenmc wrote: »
    plenty of time for that in may, june etc

Yeah because that always happens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Let me tell you kids about two weeks ago, why the snow was up over the roof of the Scottish research station, and ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sorry but even if theres a possibility of a foot of snow, it still wont cut it! I want more than Storm Emma!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I remember the great snow of 2018. Whole country ran out of bread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I hope the supermarkets are equipping their security staff with diggers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I remember the great snow of 2018. Whole country ran out of bread.
    😂

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

It was snowing around the 21/22 of March last year if i remember correctly. Late March is a prime part of the year for snow. Easter mostly falls late March/early April and as we all know snow is more common at Easter than at Christmas. March many weathers.

I remember missing a day from Primary School for snow on 2nd April 1987. 2 weeks later an early heatwave began.

The latest i remember snow falling and lying at home was Friday 14th May 1993 with 2 inches on the ground at 5pm..mid May.

On a more serious note, the GEM looks very similar to the ECM. They both place Ireland in a cold enough to snow easterly by Saturday night and drop 850 mb temps below -10, thickness on GEM goes to 518 dm. These maps spell 10-30 cm snow potential in Leinster and parts of Munster although not everywhere. West and particularly northwest would remain almost snow-free but get the full measure of cold, so this time we may get lower overnight temps than the -7 C which officially marked the low in the last spell (I realize Danno's station went to -9 or so and in the long run met.ie will receive lower reports for the eventual stats but we don't see those for many months yet).

GFS as of 12z was allowing the real cold shot to escape south and rotate around a low over Italy to bring inland parts of Algeria and Tunisia a freak snowfall (I guess higher up in the Atlas Mtns not so freak). Eventually the GFS solution brings the cold air back to the Black Sea after a merry seven day cruise around the Med.

ECM-GEM collusion says only one thing, Putin has taken over both models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Cork.. dya wanna sell that snow shield?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Kamili wrote: »
    Cork.. dya wanna sell that snow shield?

Fricking thing doesn't work anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

The BBC weather update on news 24 just before 10.. They seem very bullish about snow showers for the UK next weekend but also very bullish about the jet returning to normal by middle of next week. Interesting to see if they will be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a ridonkulous forecast. Imagine this was mid-January, we'd be looking at more snow on top of ice fields and deep cold from 9 days ago.

That said, Ive a friend on the high side of Roundwood who only got out of her house after Emma last friday!! This forecast will break her heart

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Do not want. Taking the Dublin Community Choir to Paddy's Fest in London and we're performing in Trafalgar on Sunday. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

On a more serious note, the GEM looks very similar to the ECM. They both place Ireland in a cold enough to snow easterly by Saturday night and drop 850 mb temps below -10, thickness on GEM goes to 518 dm. These maps spell 10-30 cm snow potential in Leinster and parts of Munster although not everywhere. West and particularly northwest would remain almost snow-free but get the full measure of cold, so this time we may get lower overnight temps than the -7 C which officially marked the low in the last spell (I realize Danno's station went to -9 or so and in the long run met.ie will receive lower reports for the eventual stats but we don't see those for many months yet).

GFS as of 12z was allowing the real cold shot to escape south and rotate around a low over Italy to bring inland parts of Algeria and Tunisia a freak snowfall (I guess higher up in the Atlas Mtns not so freak). Eventually the GFS solution brings the cold air back to the Black Sea after a merry seven day cruise around the Med.

ECM-GEM collusion says only one thing, Putin has taken over both models.

I reported this post. The cheek of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

anthonymcg wrote: »
    Do not want. Taking the Dublin Community Choir to Paddy's Fest in London and we're performing in Trafalgar on Sunday. :eek:

Bringing kids to Disney Paris next Tuesday for their first time, i now feel sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Breaking news: George Sunsnow and Gerry Murphy have been spotted at Dublin Airport:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    It was snowing around the 21/22 of March last year if i remember correctly. Late March is a prime part of the year for snow. Easter mostly falls late March/early April and as we all know snow is more common at Easter than at Christmas. March many weathers.

I remember missing a day from Primary School for snow on 2nd April 1987. 2 weeks later an early heatwave began.

The latest i remember snow falling and lying at home was Friday 14th May 1993 with 2 inches on the ground at 5pm..mid May.

Yes but I imagine it thawed very quickly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Tv3 are wetting themselves ... they'll be handing out green snow shovels at the parades

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

anyone with a wedding invitation this weekend , spare yourself the trauma and annoying us on this thread and maybe leave now to get there .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yep Siobhan definitely taking notice of the ECM 12z.

Well at least she hasn't warned about copious amounts of snow yet. What if anything has John Eagleton been saying about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

As long as the UK Met office don't go off issuing red weather warnings for Saturday around Twickenham I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Gfs 18z brings the cold air earlier and further west. It's actually feels like looking at charts 2 weeks ago it's mad

• Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS is another upgrade, deepening the cold pool of air further and increasing the prospect for some heavy snow shower activity and possibly thunderstorms particularly on east coasts.

Anyway that's me for now. Sweet dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

West and particularly northwest would remain almost snow-free

Not again
    11SRUTd.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I vote we lynch kermit for giving us such bad news...all in favour....put your hands up :D

There was me planning on doing some painting outside this weekend.......

Kermit ....dont you know the trouble you've caused me....dont you care ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pangea wrote: »
    Not again
    11SRUTd.gif

Well they said snow free west and north the last cold spell and most areas in those regions got at least some snow, some areas got lots like galway

Coming to a town near you..........

fdny-emerald-society-snow-drummers-early-st-patrick-s-day-parade-bethpage-long-island-new-york-50917127.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

YanSno wrote: »
    Gfs 18z brings the cold air earlier and further west. It's actually feels like looking at charts 2 weeks ago it's mad

We just need a low coming north now from the bay of biscay to seal the deal.

• Advertisement

Galway got snow last time due to extreme nature of the easterly driving squalls across the width of the country. This looks a little less powerful so I'm thinking perhaps Roscommon to Tipps might be western extent of the easterly bands, however, there is some chance of a more general snowfall from low pressure interacting with the cold air.

I agree that the 18z GFS has come at least halfway to joining the other models, would still be less snow potential than those but more than 12z showed.

Models will have much better handle on this by late Tuesday when big storm off New England finishes organization and they have that solution in the initialization. Solutions for this as of 18z are spread over a bit of wide area given it's 24-30h away from becoming a 960 mb low. The further west it stays later in the week, the more room we have for the mid-week low near Ireland to be shoved back west.

Advertisement