Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Guys, less of the moaning. We've been given a huge pile of stuff for free, it's not perfect, but it's only being launched today. I'll personally ask Tadhg later when they'll resolve these issues.

+1, a fantastic resource. I'm delighted with it so far.

I see now that the registrars' handwriting is the reason behind the multiple variants of spellings in the index for some unusual names in my family!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The 'moaning' is legitimate criticism in my opinion.
    Making the images available is absolutely brilliant news for anyone interested in family history but that doesn't mean we should ignore the flaws that have been present since the site launched some years ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Hermy wrote: »
    The 'moaning' is legitimate criticism in my opinion.

I see it as constructive criticism. It's people like us to whom they should be listening and from whom they get their best feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Well I'm a very happy bunny! The person I had (based on Irish census and Canadian death cert) as a 3rd great uncle, is in fact the illegitimate child of his "sister". And the crossed out birth entry before his official record shows the father.

Well done GRO - and the credit card stayed in the wallet! Bonus!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I am in favour of criticism and I am a fan of letters of complaint, as people of this parish will be aware, but I fear we're very quick to do it. Let's give it a chance to bed in.

I actually think this new captcha system is much improved on the old sometimes illegible random word in weird font version.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Plus you can save the image. That was a bugbear of mine with GRONI - after forking out (albeit a small sum), you couldn't save the image or look at it after 72 hours.

shar01 wrote: »
    Plus you can save the image. That was a bugbear of mine with GRONI - after forking out (albeit a small sum), you couldn't save the image or look at it after 72 hours.

You can always do a screen print and paste it into MS Paint and save there. That's what I do.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I suppose it was unrealistic of me to expect an easy way to browse, but that's my one complaint. As it is, we are limited by the indexes which are known to be flawed. Still can't find several certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Probably a silly question, but can anyone tell me if births are registered both in the church parish records and the civil records, or can it be only one or the other?

My English wife has been trying to track down the birth of an Irish relative (great-great-grandfather) born around 1831 somewhere in Co. Cork, probably Mallow, but the parish baptismal records for the period in question, 1828-1832, unfortunately seem to be missing.

So, would someone born in 1831 have typically have been registered in the civil register or only in the parish baptismal register, or both? Preliminary searches in the GRO records have drawn a blank, but it'd be good to know if it's even worthwhile continuing the search

Alun wrote: »
    Probably a silly question, but can anyone tell me if births are registered both in the church parish records and the civil records, or can it be only one or the other?

My English wife has been trying to track down the birth of an Irish relative (great-great-grandfather) born around 1831 somewhere in Co. Cork, probably Mallow, but the parish baptismal records for the period in question, 1828-1832, unfortunately seem to be missing.

So, would someone born in 1831 have typically have been registered in the civil register or only in the parish baptismal register, or both?

Civil records didn't begin until the 1860s, so it's only after that that there would be both.

• Advertisement

You can always do a screen print and paste it into MS Paint and save there. That's what I do.

Yeah - that's what I was doing with the search result but couldn't do it for actual image. I suppose Scotlandspeople spoiled me with its search engine and quality of images :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dos1965

shar01 wrote: »
    Yeah - that's what I was doing with the search result but couldn't do it for actual image. I suppose Scotlandspeople spoiled me with its search engine and quality of images :)

Highly recommend Greenshot , a free screen shot and capture tool, the windows snip in Windows 10 does the same. Allows you to select a portion of the screen (cert image) and save it.

And I also am enjoying the liberation of the cert images.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Is there any point to my saving information about errors to report to (whom??) i.e. one in particular I am finding continuously is the transcription not appearing on the image, i.e. wrong image attached to the transcription. I have found so many now, someone took their eye off the ball, a lot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm able to see my great great grandmothers sisters birth record, and she's still alive (and 101) - must get on to the DPC immediately!
    Claire Santry : ' Those over the age of 100 years old who don't want an image of their birth certificate to be available online are provided with instructions for applying for its redaction'. :D

Have just discovered my great grand mother was a twin!

I need to take a break...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Did it go live yet. i'm still seeing the old stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Very disappointed very big gaps, typical half ass job

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Tychoo wrote: »
    Very disappointed very big gaps, typical half ass job

Don't agree - it's an incredible leap forward. I've already found so many links, solved some mysteries... of course there are gaps, but we're getting so much for free. Maybe some don't remember having to pay astronomical fees to see RootsIreland's now pathetic collection of transcriptions.

As much as I have had some disappointments, all in all I am happy that I have saved a lot of money today and I am delighted with what I have so far. I'm shattered, but I'm still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Now yiz have broken it... I'm getting a server error. Time to stop for a cuppa.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It is 11 o'clock Christmas morning and the batteries have died. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

There is an email feedback service. Ive just used it to inform them of a birth index entry missing an image from 1890 and to comment on the historic records and images just made available.

My comments were mostly positive but where critical I've been polite and constructive, and made suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

The one thing I would love would be to be able to cross ref births with known parents names, rather than trawling through many entries in possible years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

I'm after clicking on the Feedback tab and somebody else's request is visible!!

I'm after clicking on the Feedback tab and somebody else's request is visible!!

Well, that's just one more problem to report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Guys, less of the moaning. We've been given a huge pile of stuff for free, it's not perfect, but it's only being launched today. I'll personally ask Tadhg later when they'll resolve these issues.

Pinky,
    I think you are misunderstanding where some of us are coming from.

Yes the new site is a great facility, there is no disputing that; it also is free, a huge bonus. But as others have pointed out, being critical has positives in addition to the negatives. What much of the comment is focussing on is detail and ‘getting it right’ now because what is there today will be the future.

One hundred and fifty years ago (an era noted for fine copperplate writing) had people passed comment on and not accepted - from what were paid civil servants - sloppy writing, inaccurate entry details, etc., many of us would not now have problems/questions on our dead relatives.

Getting the dataprocessing job correct is a ‘project management’ issue – setting, for e.g. parameters for an acceptable ‘error rate’ in transcription; also properly planning the launch of the images – if the Data Protection people are so fidgety about recent records, why did the GRO not start with the oldest images first and then work forward? The older images surely are to most interesting?

There is a huge amount of goodwill 'out there' for projects of this type, and IMO it would be far better for govt. depts. to tap into and harness it rather than build walls around their position.
    (That's all from me about it, I intend to check a few records over the weekend to see if I can peep under a few veils. ;) )

The stuff you stumble across...

Randomly came across the entries for six RAF men who died in 1943 when their bomber crashed into a Donegal bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

I think that posters criticisms here is genuine, and if heeded will make for a better product and user experience.

For example the captcha, it took me 29 clicks of the mouse, plus a bit of typing to start searching.
    A lot of users might be logging in a few times a day, the session might time out requiring them to log in again, so it can be a bit of a pain.
    Not the end of the world, but it could be improved, very simple to do.

And putting a direct link to the pdf from the search results shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Putting a contact link for broken / wrong images and corrections shouldn't be too hard.

It's a great resource that's free and I'll be using it a lot in the future - I still use the census every so often.

But with a few small tweaks it can be made so much better.

Anyone know a time frame for the rest of the records,
    ie: Marriages (18 Years Missing ) and Deaths (27 Years Missing)?

Births: 1864 to 1915
    Marriages: 1882 to 1940
    Deaths: 1891 to 1965

Quote eqwjewoiujqorj: "And putting a direct link to the pdf from the search results shouldn't be too hard to implement."

Absolutely, I said the same when the last lot of records came out (and disappeared). If you click on a name you obviously want to see the record, the transcription page is just irritating and unnecessary and on top of that when transcription and image don't match its completely irrelevant or at least misleading.

• Advertisement

I would imagine the reason they haven't directly linked from the index to the pdf is that people will still need the GRID reference at times, i.e. if you needed a full legal copy of the certificate.

I spoke briefly to the main tech person last night at the launch and I didn't want to badger him with questions so I just asked the most important one: when would the rest of the images be available? The response was not definitive. The GRO is responsible for the scanning part and it will take as long as it takes. So we'll just have to wait on that front.

If we want to put together a coherent and succinct list of issues, I'd be happy to pass it on directly to him.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement