Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Catholic" vs. "Roman Catholic" on the 1901 Census

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

RGM wrote: »
    I found this record in the 1901 census: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Munterevlin/Kinrush/1727925/

The head of the house is listed as "Catholic," while his wife and kids are listed as RC. Is there any significance to this?

Also, I've never come across the surname Sheeky before. Any ideas on potential sources for it?

To the first question - I imagine not RGM. I've also seen the Cathoilc religion recorded as 'Church of Rome' and even 'Papist' in Irish and Canadian censuses.

From the little I could garner online Sheeky appears to be an Ulster variant of Sheehy.

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=surnamemap&Surname=Sheeky&UserID=

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Right, I've seen it described different ways. It just seemed odd that they would write something different for members of the same family on the same sheet of paper.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It likely just means RC; but its not unheard of "high church" Anglicans to refer to themselves as Catholic or Anglo-Catholic; emphasis on the absence of Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Catholic/Roman Catholic (and the other variants above) would have been totally seen as the same religion in 1901. Most Anglicans would have said C of I, C of E, Irish Church, Episcopalian etc.

I notice that Catholic is written on the first line - perhaps the person filling it in thought twice and added Roman Catholic for exactness in the second? And the other entries below are just Do.
    In 1911 they are all listed as "Catholic religion" so terms often changed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

No its the same thing. If it was anglican it would say anglo catholic

• Advertisement
Advertisement