Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scanning historical documents

• 06-09-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have suggestions on generally good settings for scanning in historical documents ? At the moment I'm working my way through some old family photos - the aim is to provide a look up resource that doesn't involve handling the originals all the time.

At the moment, I'm scanning to .JPEG at 300*300dpi which seems to provide reasonable reproductions and reasonable file sizes. This works out at ~500k-900k per image, which is manageable in my view.

What I'm doing is taking each image and putting it into a seperate page in a .DOC with a little header information (name, notes on back, studio reference, etc . . .) Doing it this way isn't optimal (as Word significantly increases the file size over the native image size) but it's manageable. I've found that printing to .PDF reduces the size down significantly - from ~170mb .DOC to ~7mb .PDF

The scanner can go up to 1200*1200, but this leads to a huge time element in carrying out the scanning, and then the file size is huge. I can't remember, but I think it's in the region of 8 or 9mb per image.

I'm happy enough at the moment with the settings I have (300*300dpi to JPEG) but I was just wondering what other people are using, or if there's something else to take into account.

z

Advertisement