Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burial puzzle

• 06-09-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, not really looking for any advice just wondering if anyone can shed some light on a puzzle i have on my hands.

My grandmother had a baby sister who died in 1943, my grandmother never knew where her sister was buried or even how old exactly she was when she passed on till i started doing the family tree this year.

my puzzle is this, I have her death cert sitting in front of me yet there is no record of her burial, the parish priest where my grandmothers family were living at the time has gone thru the parish records form 1942 to 1945 trying to find a record and he can find none, to his credit he even contacted the priests in neighboring parishes to see if they had any record and there's none, my grandmothers sister seems to vanish upon her death:confused:, has anyone got any ideas on why this could have happened? One theory the priest came up with is that my grandmothers family couldn't afford to open the family plot and Aileen was buried with whoever was being buried on that day, but he found other instances of this happening and it was recorded???

thanks and sorry for the essay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Even if the church has no record the County Council should have if she was buried in a local authority graveyard. If however she was buried in a church cemetery - i.e. surrounding a church - the council may not have kept a register. Your local county council offices may be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Try contacting local funeral directors, they may have a record of the burial. This worked for me previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

lottpaul wrote: »
    Even if the church has no record the County Council should have if she was buried in a local authority graveyard. If however she was buried in a church cemetery - i.e. surrounding a church - the council may not have kept a register. Your local county council offices may be able to help you.
    she was buried in a church graveyard but thanks for the suggestion
    Wyldwood wrote: »
    Try contacting local funeral directors, they may have a record of the burial. This worked for me previously.

tbh i doubt any of the undertakers that were around then are still going its over 60 years ago , but thanks, will try and see what i can find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I ran into a similar problem with an ancestor who died back in 1894, I had his death cert but not a sign of where he was buried.

It turned out that a different variant of his sirname had been used for his burial, eventually I found him buried in a common grave up in Glasnevin, would you believe it, I found his burial record on their website, www.glasnevintrust.ie, they have a searchable database (free for a full name search for a particular year but any more info you need and you have to pay a small fee), of all burials up there.

It was recent enough in your case being in 1943 so I'd say there is a record of it hidden somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I ran into a similar problem with an ancestor who died back in 1894, I had his death cert but not a sign of where he was buried.

It turned out that a different variant of his sirname had been used for his burial, eventually I found him buried in a common grave up in Glasnevin, would you believe it, I found his burial record on their website, www.glasnevintrust.ie, they have a searchable database (free for a full name search for a particular year but any more info you need and you have to pay a small fee), of all burials up there.

It was recent enough in your case being in 1943 so I'd say there is a record of it hidden somewhere.

the Glasnevin site is fantastic alright, found my g.g. grandfathers grave on it earlier in the year

was speaking to the priest again earlier and hes searched under every variant of the surname we can think of even variants of the mothers maiden name, the only conclusion we can come to is that she wasnt baptized and its possible the priest didnt keep a record of her burial so he wouldnt get in trouble for buring an unbaptized baby in consecrated ground, my grandmothers granduncle died in 1923 so its possible, her sister was "snuck" into the grave with him, going to try and ring some of the local undertakers in Edenderry on thursday and see if they can help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement