Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help finding death of my Great Great Grandfather

Options
  • 22-01-2015 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been searching for the death of my great great grandfather for over a year now with no luck. I was wondering would anybody be able to help Details I have so far

1901 Census Michael Rape living in Farrengarode, Ardnaree North in Mayo With his wife and son (John)

1911 - Does not register at the same house where son is still living (and now married)

Therefore it seems both of his parents died between 1901/1911

I also have my great grandfathers marriage cert from 1907 which has Michael Reape listed on it in the fathers column

Does this mean that he was still alive in 1907?
    If so then that means he died between 1907/11

However I cannot find any records of his death and I have searched all years in between the census records.

Is it possible that it wasn't recorded?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just out of curiosity's sake did you find a death cert for Margaret, michael's wife? I took a quick look but no joy.

To the others reading this, the couple were both 89 years old in 1901 census so it's highly likely that they passed before 1911. Also the name 'Reape' seems to be a lot more common than 'Rape'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

On Ancestry I found a Michael Reape - don't know if he's your man or not.

Est birth year: abt. 1826
    Date of Reg. Jan-Feb-Mar 1915
    Death Age: 89
    Reg. District: Ballina
    Vol: 4
    Pg. 4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can you detail where you've looked and where you have yet to look?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I've looked on Ancestry, RootsIreland and Familysearch and only found the same chap as Jellybaby1 (who if the 1901 census is correct should be 105 in 1915 and not 89)
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Ardmaree_North/Farrangarode/1570343/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

wellboss wrote: »
    ...I also have my great grandfathers marriage cert from 1907 which has Michael Reape listed on it in the fathers column

Does this mean that he was still alive in 1907?
    If so then that means he died between 1907/11...

The father's status is not required for the marriage cert, so no guarantee that he was alive in 1907...

is his occupation (the father's) included ?

• Advertisement

His age of 89 in 1901 sounds like he was one of the healthiest people in the country! Lots of people didn't really know how old they were and just guessed it. His wife in 1901 was also 89 and her son was 35 which means she had him when she was 54. I'd be interested in the ages of their other children the couple had, especially if there were older children than John at 35.

Edit: Unless John was not her son, and she was a second wife.

Any chance that he may have been in England at any time? Did they have family in Lancashire or would he have gone away to find work like so many did. This man was a bit old to be heading off to find work but I found this one:

Michael Rape
    Est. birth year: 1835
    Reg. year: 1905
    Reg. quarter: Apr-May-June
    Age at death: 70
    Reg. district: Blackburn
    Inferred county: Lancashire
    Vol. 8e
    Pg. 244

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Looking at the enumerator’s abstract of the 1901 census, you might want to include Sligo in your search.

Areas of Co. Sligo transferred to Co. Mayo to facilitate the Local Government Act, 1898

For Poor Law purposes the electoral divisions of Ardnaree North, Ardnaree South and Ardnaree South (urban) formed part of the Union of Ballina, although in the county of Sligo. To facilitate the operation of the Local Government Act, 1898, this area, comprising the Parish of Kilmoremoy and seven townlands in neighboring Castleconnor was transferred to County Mayo.

Parish of Castleconnor: Farrangarode

Check this link.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

The Golden Langan website has a lot of headstone information from North Mayo, you might get some joy with it.

My maternal line is from North Mayo and it's a really, really tough area to do genealogy research. Extremely rural and poor with the resulting lack of interaction with civil registration authorities. Some of the parish registers don't start until the 1860s.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Ponster wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity's sake did you find a death cert for Margaret, michael's wife? I took a quick look but no joy.

To the others reading this, the couple were both 89 years old in 1901 census so it's highly likely that they passed before 1911. Also the name 'Reape' seems to be a lot more common than 'Rape'.

Nope actually haven't searched for her, was just trying to source the reape side of things.

Yes he is rape in 1901, and his son is reape in 1911, I have also found him as ralphe in his parish marriage register in 1846 (Castleconnor).

Hermy - Looked on rootsireland for both Civil and church and family search for civil and no luck. Don't have access to any other services unfortunately. I do live in scotland and have access to all british records so may look into that guy in Blackburn

Shanew - It says farmer on the marriage cert, would that mean he is still alive?

Jellybaby1 - Yeah I don't think they were that old, as yous said she would have had to been 54, I have is baptism cert from 1858, with 3 older sisters born in 1847, 49 and 1855 then one older sister born in 1865

No idea if he was in England, i am only tracing my grandfathers sisters now and maybe they were there. But i doubt that somebody elderly would be traveling as my grandfather came back from America to help his elderly father on the farm.

Unfortunately there are lots of michael reapes in North mayo region, he seems to be the only one living in sligo.

coolnabacky1873 - this could very well be true as I also cannot find my great grandfathers death/ grandfathers birth in 1921. Death and Birth on the same day, I had attributed this to the civil war/Independence fight. However the same family did register a daughters birth in 1865 and then my great grandfathers marriage in 1907

I think I have located his graveyard but unfortunately there are no markings for anybody,it is an old catholic graveyard near a protestant church (Killanly, sligo), My great grandfather was buried here and its only down the road from the house in farrangarode

So im guessing its possible that his and maybe her deaths weren't recorded,

Thanks for all your help guys

• Advertisement

Shanew - It says farmer on the marriage cert, would that mean he is still alive?

unfortunately not for certain no, - from what I've seen it does seem more likely that he might have been alive if his occupation is shown, but it's not a pattern that all registrars followed. The lack of an occupation can suggest that the possibility that the father is deceased, but really the only thing that's certain is if a cert states deceased, which was not a standard detail required by registration - but even then I know of least several, including two in my own ancestors, where people said the father was deceased and he was not. (he had abandoned the family)

sorry not very definitive - but on balance seems likely he was alive

p.s. it took me quite a few certs to find the correct deaths for two of my gr-grandparents, eventually turned up several districts away from where I expected them. It turned out they had moved to Dublin to live with one of their sons who was employed there. The address lead to further details for the family.. another reason for a move might be a move to a workhouse or infirmary

......I think I have located his graveyard but unfortunately there are no markings for anybody,it is an old catholic graveyard near a protestant church (Killanly, sligo), My great grandfather was buried here and its only down the road from the house in farrangarode

So im guessing its possible that his and maybe her deaths weren't recorded,

Thanks for all your help guys

Not necessarily if the graveyard had been in CoI parish originally. If so then I suggest that you check out the Church of Ireland burial records for that graveyard. In my experience all burials in Church of Ireland graveyards were recorded, all religions. It depends on (a) whether the records still exist and (b) if so, that the person keeping the records did their job. Worth a look I'd say, contact the Rector, or if the church is closed, the Rector in the next CoI parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Not necessarily if the graveyard had been in CoI parish originally. If so then I suggest that you check out the Church of Ireland burial records for that graveyard. In my experience all burials in Church of Ireland graveyards were recorded, all religions. It depends on (a) whether the records still exist and (b) if so, that the person keeping the records did their job. Worth a look I'd say, contact the Rector, or if the church is closed, the Rector in the next CoI parish.

As far as I am aware it is not a COI graveyard and there doesn't appear to be any records for it either, I still want to talk to the local COI minister and see can he shed any light on it. Talking to the local RC priest recently he said there was originally a church on the site, up to the 16/17th century, and it's even marked on the oldest OSI maps.I know my greatgrandfather is in there as the memory has been passed down, I would like to think it is likely that his father is in there too, the other likely option would be the main burial ground in Ballina

Many of the older graveyards are pre-reformation, and shared among different denominations.

Advertisement