Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Comments on the boards.ie daily forecast ( > 1,000,000 views )

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

We're getting a few "kiws" lately but it looks like the threat of more "abiq" has gone away for now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Joe Public wrote: »
    We're getting a few "kiws" lately but it looks like the threat of more "abiq" has gone away for now :-)

Ya wa?????

Ya wa?????

Clue - you need to read MT's forecast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Pattern has to re-set, but models are really struggling to get much beyond four or five days before they lose the plot so I certainly haven't dropped the idea of a colder period in February, and there are plenty of signs of possible reversals of the impending mild spell after a few days, but I should clarify that the best signal in the research is more like mid-February than early February so big changes may require a few days beyond the current reliable time frame, which may be why only vague hints of colder weather can be seen on the model runs today. There is very strong high pressure between the Bering Strait and the north pole which sounds a long way from Europe except that if it moved NNW it could start a retrograde chain of events and at that latitude the longitude parallels are of course very close together so a feature like that could reposition a long way to the west in a matter of 4-5 days. The mild signal we have now is actually not a problem, some upgrades that I made in December adjusted the temperature trend to this sort of 8-10 C trend until 1-2 Feb then the trend is sharply down towards a much lower end point in mid February. So in other words I believe everything is on track and the pattern was always supposed to go highly variable before this major cold arrived, the past week has probably been a bit colder than my research was suggesting, but I've noticed that the upper level parameters never really got much into the negative range, it was feedback from snow cover that developed over Britain more than cold advection from any distant source. I expect that if we get into this more organized cold spell, it will bring more intense cold at upper levels.

Meanwhile the weather in eastern North America has just done something that was signalled in the research by turning much colder since mid-January, a change from almost one extreme to the other. This will in the short term perhaps be a negative factor for cold in western Europe because it will tend to fire up the polar vortex esat of Greenland briefly, but it looks to me as though this extreme cold will fade out fairly quickly around the end of the month and that should allow a re-set with much higher pressure in the Greenland region.

Watching this high near the pole very carefully, and I don't feel that the models necessarily have it nailed down, retrogression should begin soon (this recent cold spell had little input from retrograde motion, it basically exploited a weak steering flow and probably over-performed relative to the upper level circulation).

The other factor to watch is that the models are dealing with explosive systems coming off the super-cold North American continent from tomorrow through about Saturday, and the development (track, intensity) of these in 4-6 days is really very approximate, which is a bit unsettling given the central pressures indicated. We don't want to see one of those 930 mb lows going off track and closer to Ireland, Sunday's current evolution is close enough. Hints of a very windy period as it begins to turn colder next week but that almost never seems to verify, cold seems to arrive on more moderate winds nine times out of ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Joe Public wrote: »
    Clue - you need to read MT's forecast :)

Ha ha gotcha!!!

• Advertisement

Yep, I had no clue what that was about ("kiw") until I started into editing my previous forecast and found the mystery word. Problem is as explained in the forecast thread, I type like a speed demon and generally quite akkurately (joke) but I tend to watch the screen as my fingers know where the keys are -- so when that sort of thing happens I usually see it as I go. Might have been distracted by something or maybe the cursor was sitting over that word, but I never saw "kiw" on the screen. I think it's a New Zealand weather system of some kind perhaps. :)

Will be even more dangerous soon as we are taking our computer in for a memory upgrade, keeps freezing on facebook and weather map animations. I think there are some parts of the package missing but I would make a great legal secretary at the rate I type and my very attractive legs in a black dress, plus my alluring personality (some have compared me to Sir Alex Ferguson after a loss).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Aykina

Hey, hope y'all don't mind my bumping this thread, but randomly felt need to say ta to MT again! Been bouncing between Dublin, London, Chicago, Boston and Miami with work last few months and well, y'ain't done me far wrong yet. Packing is now slightly more reasonable as a result! Thanks, Ak

UPDATE _ Sunday, 16 June, 2013

Regular readers please note, my forecasts may not appear on a very regular schedule for the next week, as we've been called away here on a family health matter and will be in a rather isolated location with perhaps limited opportunity to get on the internet. So if there isn't a forecast on Monday morning by 0900h perhaps somebody else could have a go for a day or two. I don't expect a very long disruption to my normal routines. -- MTC

I hope all works out ok MTC and thanks again for your expert forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

I didn't want to post on the daily forecast thread, so here is a good place to wish MT & family well and a very big thanks for the terrific and unrelenting service over the years.

Thanks, see my longer version on the fcst thread.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    Well I have noticed (in a very non scientific way) that on BBC weather forecasts, the words used to describe the heat level tend to follow the Fahrenheit scale in blocks of approx 10F, plus a change in description between the 20's and 30's celcius. In other words:

21 - 26c (70 - 79F) - Warm
    27 - 29c (81 - 85F) - Very Warm
    30 - 31c (86 - 88F) - Hot
    32+ (90F +) - Very hot

It might be something slightly different to the above but it tends to follow that kind of wording. This is on the BBC and is thus for the British climate which warmer than here so I would say the Irish terminology would be a bit different.

Some possible Irish variations:-

21 - 26c (70 - 79F) - powerful day
    27 - 29c (81 - 85F) - sweltering
    30 - 31c (86 - 88F) - dead day
    32+ (90F +) - hope it's raining in Spain

In this time of rather quiet weather, perhaps regular readers (or avowed critics) can assist me in an endeavour to improve quality of service on the daily forecast thread. Be as frank as the law allows and even more so as I am not that type of person (or any type of person).

Free form, but sample questions to give some focus:

A. Are the forecasts meeting your needs? Are they specific enough, detailed enough, too much or too little detail, time scale too short or long, etc?

B. Do you derive any benefit from the added forecasts for Britain and North America?

C. Should I continue to add astronomy information, and do you prefer to look for it at the beginning, middle or end of this package?

D. Is there anything about the format you would like to see changed, for your convenience (I am notably behind the times when it comes to mobile devices etc, just an old man at a keyboard, sort of like Beethoven in his later years).

E. Beyond the forecast thread, is my participation in other threads too much, too little, useful or otherwise? Should I just stick to the contests and the forecast and let other things come and go, so as to encourage others?

F. Any forecast biases that you've noticed that could be routinely adjusted?

plus any other concerns or interests related to this subject ... have at it.

If anyone feels like chatting by PM rather than on the forum, feel free. There is no time frame to this. I feel no particular urge to do more or less than before.

I should mention that there is always the slight chance that either health or legal troubles could cause a sudden disappearance of MTC from the cyber world and not to worry if that happens, somebody would be along to fill you in on developments. Nothing specific in mind, just "situations" that are more or less unavoidable.

I think that in general I get the forecasts posted before most people start to look, but there again, are they early enough for your benefit? Do you find the general lack of updates to be a problem? I don't always check every six hours to see what's happening, just in more dynamic situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Im happy enough with your free daily service! In terms of your participation on other threads i would like to see more of it - your contrib to the winter thread would be particularly helpful.

keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I like all the non Ireland information.
    The model analysis is very good as you'd expect from a seasoned expert at it as mt.I noticed less cold bias in the forecast s lately in terms of how there always used be a crowd pleasing reference to sleet or snow even if only up so high no one would see it falling.That's good as I feel,mentioning snow should be in the context of populated areas and with % probabilities.

But yes all's good.
    Ok the lrf in terms of snow windows didn't work out.But then,I am guessing that those windows must have been low probability anyway but mentioned for the cold fans?
    The general tenure of the lrf was that a wintery winter was unlikely this time and that wasn't too bad a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

whitebriar wrote: »
    I like all the non Ireland information.
    The model analysis is very good as you'd expect from a seasoned expert at it as mt.I noticed less cold bias in the forecast s lately in terms of how there always used be a crowd pleasing reference to sleet or snow even if only up so high no one would see it falling.That's good as I feel,mentioning snow should be in the context of populated areas and with % probabilities.

But yes all's good.
    Ok the lrf in terms of snow windows didn't work out.But then,I am guessing that those windows must have been low probability anyway but mentioned for the cold fans?
    The general tenure of the lrf was that a wintery winter was unlikely this time and that wasn't too bad a call.

A good point on the long-range forecast which wasn't too bad a call.

Like any forecasts the long-range forecast was more accurate for the shorter time-frame. So if you write in mid-October say that there will be no snow before Christmas (and this happens) but that early January will see the best chance of a cold spell including snow, (and this doesn't but isn't wildly out in terms of temperature) people will forget that you got the first two and a half months correct and only focus on the lack of snow in January while the overall long-range forecast will have been fairly accurate. Updating the lrf in mid-winter in a lrf thread (maybe this was done and I missed it?) or otherwise updating the lrf when something happens (e.g. stronger than expected Atlantic in December has knock-on effects that linger into Jan/Feb pushing back predicted events) would be useful.

Otherwise I must say this is where I go for reading forecasts.

Thanks, quite right saying that the snow windows were closed shut, a rather low-science explanation is that the Atlantic signal mid December to first week of January, while expected, was so intense that the colder signal had all it could handle just to do anything at all, and in fact it did appear in the trend with the 11th and 12th being relatively cold to the majority of the days this winter. Small amounts of snow appear possible at medium elevations and large amounts could fall higher than most people live, in the next week or so.

I have just been looking at research output for spring-summer and that gives me the impression of a continued zonal flow through March, some kind of northerly regime in April with an interval of relatively cold weather more likely then, so maybe any snow could come around or after Easter. May and June look warmer than average in this output. The rest of the summer looked more average.

I hope to see a few more comments and get a better sampling of ideas about what people think of the forecasts and the emphasis, etc. This has always been a pleasant enough task that I have given myself and the rewards have been astronomical in terms of both research development and personal contacts that I value very much indeed. There is no down side which is why I don't mind giving an hour or so each day to this project. It tends to be the last hour of consciousness in the land of the empty cranium.

It is also my opinion that the forum has grown stronger through the independent efforts of various heavy hitters in the past two or three years and you will get just as good a commentary on major weather events if I'm in the mix or not, which is good.

I wish it were possible to visit more often or extensively (in person that is) but we have had a bad combination of health issues and family concerns that has made longer absences impossible. Maybe this summer things will become more conducive and I hope to get at least one round of golf in, should that be the case. The pictures that I see regularly have us really hoping to get to all parts of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

MT your forecasts seem to answer all the questions that run around in my head after I have looked at the charts to try and figure out what type of weather we are due. The detail you give in your forecast has lead me to learning much about weather as has this forum in general.

I enjoy your forecast completions even if I don't enter them and enjoy your quirky sense of humour and wit. Keep up the astronomy one liners as most of us are looking up anyway, and its nice to know what's up there !

In my opinion you are providing an invaluable service and it certainly keeps me well informed. The updates are usually timely and relevant and it helps when you lay out how things like storms etc are unlikely to unfold.

The UK and USA forecasts are nice to know too so please keep them in.
    Thanks again for all your efforts MT and good luck with your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I'm happy with the weather forecast format as it is - it's detailed enough to gain an understanding of why and where and how, yet concise enough to read quickly on a mobile device. I'm particularly appreciative of the notes on possible outcomes to the forecasts and the likelihoods of those coming to fruition. This is preferred than a single outlook that the national services give as the likely forecast.

The LRF side of things I find truly interesting, and I always look forwards to seeing how close the LRF is to reality, and if it isn't at least you are able to give an adequate explanation as to why it didn't (this is a positive comparison to those LRF people that cannot take any form of criticism of their methodology). I've found your own LRF to be fairly accurate if not precise - and I'll take accuracy over precision every time here.

The astro one-liners, they're a great addition I think for most people that may not be aware of what's going on overhead. Nice as they are now, I don't see a need to go into too much more detail there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

A. Are the forecasts meeting your needs? Are they specific enough, detailed enough, too much or too little detail, time scale too short or long, etc?
    I think your forecasts are fine MT,you go into detail when it's warranted

B. Do you derive any benefit from the added forecasts for Britain and North America? Not really but i like reading the north america one when they have interesting weather happening

C. Should I continue to add astronomy information, and do you prefer to look for it at the beginning, middle or end of this package? Again doesn't bother me where it is

D. Is there anything about the format you would like to see changed, for your convenience (I am notably behind the times when it comes to mobile devices etc, just an old man at a keyboard, sort of like Beethoven in his later years).
    No

E. Beyond the forecast thread, is my participation in other threads too much, too little, useful or otherwise? Should I just stick to the contests and the forecast and let other things come and go, so as to encourage others?
    [I]Would like to read more of your input if & when we have an event but it's understandable given the time difference [/I]

F. Any forecast biases that you've noticed that could be routinely adjusted?
    Yes you don't make enough interesting weather events for Dublin :p:D
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I wish it were possible to visit more often or extensively (in person that is) but we have had a bad combination of health issues and family concerns that has made longer absences impossible. Maybe this summer things will become more conducive and I hope to get at least one round of golf in, should that be the case. The pictures that I see regularly have us really hoping to get to all parts of Ireland.

M.T. if you do make it over here in the summer I'm very sure there'll be a long line of people wanting to bring you for a pint of Guinness to say thanks (& probably pick your brain a bit ;) ) I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say thank you so much for putting the effort that you do into our forecasts & I wouldn't change them at all, we've all learned so much from you & I do hope the health issues & family concerns ease so you can get the break you deserve (Also the first drink is on me if you do arrive in the summer!) All the best & thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MTC, this is one of the corners of Boards I think about when I have to deal with the loopy trolls and nasty people on some other forums... its the sort of forum that makes me proud of boards and makes it worthwhile, and you are a big part of that. Thanks for all the hard work, I think you see how appreciated it is.

I saw this, today and thought of you :)

http://xkcd.com/1324/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

ah Dev, I was just coming here to post that...

Funny and so like real life ... hey if I do get over there, would love the chance to meet some of the weather folk, but no special measures, I do hope it would include golf cuz that's what I do when I don't do this (among other things). Pretty sure that anything too organized would become deadly, but would look at it this way, boards weather folk probably want a chance to have a bit of a gathering anyway, so this could be the excuse. And if it rains on us, we have only ourselves to blame for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Golf can supposedly be a good cure for a hangover :)

I thought it was more of a cause for one, but then I'm a 14. (but I improve to 13 on the back nine cuz my muscles are wamed up sort of)

In this weather you can start as a 14 and finish as a 22, that's if you finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

whitebriar wrote: »
    .I noticed less cold bias in the forecast s lately in terms of how there always used be a crowd pleasing reference to sleet or snow even if only up so high no one would see it falling.That's good as I feel,mentioning snow should be in the context of populated areas and with % probabilities.

I feel he is gone too much in the other direction of late -

"TUESDAY ... Winds will increase again especially across the north and west, from a WSW direction at 70-110 km/hr. It will be cold enough for hail showers to be quite frequent rather than rain, and sleet or snow may fall on hills, with highs only 5-7 C. "

Advertisement