Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

McGrady Armagh or Dublin

• 20-07-2011 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Could anyone find a marriage for a Arthur Mcready,MCreadie,MCGrady b 1839 ish in Portadown Armagh to a Mary Dennis,Ennis, Annis b 1845 ish also from Armagh,if it helps Marys parents were called Dennis or Denny and Ann!! Mary had a brother called James born in Belfast 1850 too,Im trying to find Arthurs parents!

I have this 1871 census..
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]DENNIS, Denny Head M 49 1822 - Labourer/excavator - bn Kildare, Ireland.
    DENNIS, Ann Wife F 51 1820 - bn Armagh, Ireland.
    DENNIS, James Son M 21 1850 - quarrier - bn Belfast, Ireland.
    MCREADY, Arthur Step-Son M 32 1839 - Labourer/excavator - bn Portadown [Armagh], Ireland.
    MCREADY, Mary Daughter F 26 1845 - bn Armagh, Ireland.
    MCREADY, James Son M 6 1865 - bn Dublin, Ireland.
    MCREADY, Dennis Son M 2 1869 - bn Chorley, Lancashire

now although the name has changed somewhat, I can confirm through another of Arthurs children William McGrady that the above is our relative.
    [/FONT]

I have various other census and births,marriages r.e the children of Arthur and Mary,but have nothing on Arthur? who his parents are? where they from etc! Ive tried contacting the R.C church in Portadown,dumcree, but as yet nothing!

any help please?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 toffeetower

Hi I was hoping if anyone is going the national library of Ireland would they mind having a nosey in these for me please?

Diocese Armagh

Drumcree Baptisms Jan. 1, 1844 - Jun. 30, 1864 P.5586
    (Portadown) Marriages Feb. 9, 1844 - Nov. 23, 1863
    Deaths May 26, - Dec. 22, 1863
    Baptisms Jun. 17, 1864 - Dec. 31, 1880
    Marriages Jul. 23, 1864 - Nov. 27, 1880
    Deaths Jun. 24, 1864 - Dec. 30, 1880

I wonder if anything could be in here?

or IN HERE?

Diocese of DUBLIN
    Dublin 28
    Wicklow
    Baptisms May 15, 1796 - Dec. 29, 1830
    Nov. 29, 1829 - Dec. 28, 1862
    Oct. 17, 1861 - June 17, 1874
    Marriages Nov. 20, 1795 - Feb. 15, 1874
    Wicklow (continued) Baptisms July 29, 1874 - Dec. 19, 1880 P.6482
    Marriages June 23, 1874 - Nov. 27, 1880

thanks
    ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hi Toffeetower,

Have you been in to the NLI before to look at the microfilms?
    If someone was to check this through for you, they'd be giving up a lot of time.

Can you get to the NLI yourself?
    If not, you could try Roots Ireland, who have Drumcree records online. It'll cost €5 per record but you've got a good amount of info to help you narrow it down.

http://armagh.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hi PP

Sorry :o:o everyone

Didnt know how it works??

Ill try that website ;)

Toffeetower

After a little bit of help this could be what I was looking for........even though it says maria I think it should say Mary

Date of Marriage:19-Aug-1862Parish / District:RATHDRUM County:Co.WICKLOW
    HusbandWifeName: ArthurMcCready Maria Ennis Address:Rathdrum Rathdrum
    Denomination:Roman Catholic Roman Catholic Occupation: Age: Status: Husband's FatherWife's FatherName:James McCready Dennis Ennis Address: Denomination: Occupation: Husband's MotherWife's Mother Name: Eliza McGready Anna Ennis Address: Denomination:Occupation:Witness 1Witness 2Name:James Margaret

Arthurs 1st son was called james (arthurs dad),his 1st girl was called mary ann (arthurs wife) and 2nd girl was called Eliza (arthurs mam) so its got to be them.....

now how do I chase James info up :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Maria is the latin for Mary which was the language of the registers, so I'd say you're fine there.

Dennis Ennis - what were his parents thinking when they named him?!

You've got first names for both mothers there but unfortunately no surnames. You'll have to search the same registers again for marriages with the fathers' names and cross reference with the mothers' first names. It's too early for civil records so you'll be relying on parish registers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Hi
    From the above I know Arthurs farther was called james,which explains my confusion for the 1881 census I have

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3690; Folio: 84; Page: 39; GSU roll: 1341884.

I though it was a mistake they had JAMES head of family 48 and a 20 year age gap between his wife MARY age 20,this is because she isnt his wife she is his daughter in law!!! with all the kids !!! but where has arthur got too?? because hes back in 1891 census the family is all together in molyneux street bootle

hahahaha my mam said if hes anything like the mcgradys of now he was probably down the pub 2funny.gif2funny.gif

Advertisement