Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Rugby 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I wouldn't call TJ wild and inconsistent. For the past couple of years I'd have rated him in the top 5 halfbacks in world rugby. Only watching the Canes game now so maybe he was crap in that.

McClutchie is playing in Japan for a season then back to Hawkes Bay. Needs to improve his kicking, from the tee and from hand but he's only 20 so plenty of time.

I love TJ but he mixes the good with the bad. Sometimes his passing will fail him, then he'll follow it up with try-saving tackles and line breaks.

At least they're investing in McClutchie I suppose. He'd be great to watch in super rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

I'm thinking Cruden may get a call up to the ABs this year. Even if he is 3rd choice and blocking a younger player, he has the kind of experience that you need with (95% win ratio).

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

1. Ayden Johnstone
    2. Liam Coltman
    3. Siate Tokolahi
    4. Paripari Parkinson
    5. Josh Dickson
    6. Dillon Hunt
    7. James Lentjes (C)
    8. Marino Mikaele Tu’u
    9. Aaron Smith
    10. Mitch Hunt
    11. Jona Nareki
    12. Josh Ioane
    13. Rob Thompson
    14. Tima Fainga’anuku
    15. Josh McKay

RESERVES

16. Ash Dixon
    17. Daniel Lienert-Brown
    18. Josh Iosefa-Scott
    19. Jesse Parete
    20. Shannon Frizell
    21. Kayne Hammington
    22. Michael Collins
    23. Teariki Ben-Nicholas

Highlanders team to face sharks on Friday morning.
    Very green.
    Not sure why frizell is on the bench, other than being a returning all black.
    Happy enough to see jesse parate has come in from the chiefs, hes look pretty handy as s quad member anytime i saw him last season, though hes no liam squire.

Mitchell Hunt gets his debut straight in at 10, and Fainga'anuku and Nareki are both debutant wingers
    6 debutants in total when you include the bench.

3 Backrows on the bench, as part of a 6 / 2 split, doesn't bode well for line out so hoping Dickson and PPP can stay on for s long as possible.

On the sharks side, they are coming in from a good scrappy win over the bulls.

I think if we can get at least parity up front, we should have enough in the back line to cause the sharks trouble, Any Tony Browne coached team will always have some tricks up their sleeves.

Decent traditional tight 5 , mobile backrow (if undersized with 2 7s) and dual playmakers at 10/12 (also undersized). Then 3 big loose forwards on the bench, including Teariki Ben Nicholas at 23.

Fairly strong but some head-scratchers.

hahashake wrote: »
    Decent traditional tight 5 , mobile backrow (if undersized with 2 7s) and dual playmakers at 10/12 (also undersized). Then 3 big loose forwards on the bench, including Teariki Ben Nicholas at 23.

Fairly strong but some head-scratchers.

agreed on a few counts...

worried about the size across the back line apart from Thompson and Fainga’anuku..... there are some hefty sharks backs running down those channels.

and the 6 forwards on the bench, with no obvious lock replacement is a head scratcher... maybe mauger thinks hes playing rugby league :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rugby Australia and Fox have failed to agree a new TV deal

RA even deeper in the poop now.

What a disaster

Men against boys

It's going to be a long season...... :(

Not much positive to take from that. Nareki on the wing looks good.

Ioane lost at 12, worst game I've seen Rob Thompson play, hunt kicking it way too much and his charged down conversion was the icing on the cake for ineptitude.

Its hard to see us coming anywhere near challenging for play offs this year. Rebuild and progress will be the name of the game

Only positives were Aaron Smith and the number 8. Bring back Ioane to 10, Gatland to bench. Not convinced by the FB but then Ben Smith is a hard act to follow.

Good to see the SA sides deservedly playing with their tails up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Sharks looked very impressive especially their back line. Full back was clinical.

• Advertisement

Gatland works his magic as chiefs beat crusaders 25 - 15

Waratahs well beaten against Blues who open their account with ex Harlequin Joe Marchant scoring a try. Looks like dreadful attendance at South African derby.

I think anyone questioning the merit of the super rugby and top14 TBP system should watch the Hurricanes v sharks game this morning.

Hurricanes up by 21 points, 5 tries to 2, with 12 mins left.

Sharks get one more try and batter the Canes line till the 83rd minute and lose by 16.

No TBP to either team, great game that's 100% competitive till the end.

If that was Pro14 the Canes would have given up and the sharks could easily have gotten a LBP from it

OK maybe we're not so sh!t.

:D

Australian sides looking a bit flimsy again after 3 rounds. I thought Sharks would be closer to Hurricanes after their impressive win last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Didn't get catching it but surprised at Highlanders beating Brumbies away

Didn't get catching it but surprised at Highlanders beating Brumbies away

The brumbies had a maul and absolutely nothing else.

Delighted with the fight our younger lads had towards the end, when the likes of tokolahi Smith and coltman gone off

Had to pull the trigger on the Highlanders alternative jersey from today.....it's delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Had to pull the trigger on the Highlanders alternative jersey from today.....it's delicious

Where did you order from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Good win for the Blues in Loftus yesterday. Penalty to win it in the 81st minute. Bit of a shock by the Brumbies in Hamilton hammering the Chiefs. The Highlanders got a bit of a spanking by the Crusaders. Sorry Syd.

Good win for the Blues in Loftus yesterday. Penalty to win it in the 81st minute. Bit of a shock by the Brumbies in Hamilton hammering the Chiefs. The Highlanders got a bit of a spanking by the Crusaders. Sorry Syd.

Its what I expected this year. We'll be propping up the kiwi conference and probably won't make the playoffs.

It will be interesting to see how we get on next weekend against Brad thorns kids.

You're boys are doing good this year...and that's with akira and BB to come back into the squad.

It will be nice to not be the worst kiwi team for once ðŸ˜
    Haven't seen anything of the Reds this year but I see they hammered the Sunwolves by 60 odd points!
    Ioane has a battle on his hands to get the 8 jersey back. Sotutu is playing some very good rugby.
    Interesting that the Blues started three 10s yesterday.

It's going to be a long fecking season

Interesting that the Blues started three 10s yesterday.

I would take any of those right now at the Highlanders. Mitch hunt isn't a half shadow of a rugby player. Id gladly never see him in a landers shirt again.
    The experiment with ioane at 12 isn't working.

I really hope they are looking at a dejected sopoaga at wasps and working on bringing him back.

Liam coltman, for a capped AB, is playing absolute muck...
    We'd be completely at sea if it wasn't for A Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I would take any of those right now at the Highlanders. Mitch hunt isn't a half shadow of a rugby player. Id gladly never see him in a landers shirt again.

I really hope they are looking at a dejected sopoaga at wasps and working on bringing him back.

A Highlanders fan doesn't like Mitch Hunt, colour me surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQbodCg_Qtc

The 2nd Highlanders try was a thing of beauty.

I can't understand the thinking of Hunt over Ioane at 10. Hunt seems to me to be a good back up but I wouldn't want him as the main man. Ioane was getting the attention of the ABs as a 10!!

I've long had doubts about Coltman. A solid pro but I don't think he should be getting game time for the ABs.

You've got some good hard working loosies but a shame about Lentjes. Horrific injury. If Jack Whetton is half the player his dad and uncle were he'll be bloody good.

You're missing Ben from accounts.

We're missing all 7 or 8 that left last season..... Not at all replaced.

I can't understand why we let the likes of lomax and hemopo go as well.

We've got such an inexperienced squad this year, I suppose it's in the hope of them coming good eventually...
    But not much mark hammett can do with young soft forwards.

Looks like the blues are the real deal this year

• Advertisement

Looks like the blues are the real deal this year

I told you!!! THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

Advertisement