Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Ireland League 2019-2020 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭luke9311

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

If you removed the 20s leagues you would lose more guys in the short term and probably wouldn't change much medium/long term. If clubs want to grow IMO they should focus on touch/sevens/coaching/reffing/social events. Don't think there is much scope to dramatically increase the numbers of adult mens 15s players.

Really the onus is on clubs to integrate their 20s to the club and track players correctly. At my club 20s are sent to play seconds which they hate because the team is a mess and the culture is toxic. Plenty say they would rather play thirds but there is no relationship between the 20s and 3rds, if you are not going from 20s to the senior panel the club doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

If you removed the 20s leagues you would lose more guys in the short term and probably wouldn't change much medium/long term. If clubs want to grow IMO they should focus on touch/sevens/coaching/reffing/social events. Don't think there is much scope to dramatically increase the numbers of adult mens 15s players.

Really the onus is on clubs to integrate their 20s to the club and track players correctly. At my club 20s are sent to play seconds which they hate because the team is a mess and the culture is toxic. Plenty say they would rather play thirds but there is no relationship between the 20s and 3rds, if you are not going from 20s to the senior panel the club doesn't care.

I think in all honesty this is the case across most senior clubs. The powers that be often pay lip service to junior/social rugby and talk about how a strong club is a strong junior section etc. but in reality it goes 1st team, 20's 1st team, with everybody else a distance third.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

it was only a suggestion. If you removed 20s as a grade at least for the entire season like the current set up clubs would be forced to do far more to integrate players within the club earlier. Nothing would stop clubs keeping teams as under 20 teams and
    You may lose players you may not all would depend on how clubs approach it.
    There very much is scope to grow number of adult players considering the big growth of underage players in recent years

it was only a suggestion. If you removed 20s as a grade at least for the entire season like the current set up clubs would be forced to do far more to integrate players within the club earlier. Nothing would stop clubs keeping teams as under 20 teams and
    You may lose players you may not all would depend on how clubs approach it.
    There very much is scope to grow number of adult players considering the big growth of underage players in recent years

Not having a go, it's worth discussing. Ultimately it all comes down to the sentence I've bolded.

Personally I think playing men's rugby is too much of a sacrifice for lots of people in terms of injuries, concussions, and time.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    I think in all honesty this is the case across most senior clubs. The powers that be often pay lip service to junior/social rugby and talk about how a strong club is a strong junior section etc. but in reality it goes 1st team, 20's 1st team, with everybody else a distance third.

I play thirds and we basically operate as our own separate entity who happen to wear the club's colours.

Not having a go, it's worth discussing. Ultimately it all comes down to the sentence I've bolded.

Personally I think playing men's rugby is too much of a sacrifice for lots of people in terms of injuries, concussions, and time.
    really depends on level were on about as well
    Problem with 20s as said they're standalone to rest of club and yes you will always lose players but the other main sports don't have 20s/21s or just have it at end of season so keep players more involved in adult game far more.

In actual rugby news leinster league groups and fixtures made and clubs posting them....

Mary's, terenure, ucd and tarf in division 1a. Games September 7/14/21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Problem with 20s as said they're standalone to rest of club
    no nobody said that because they're not. Closest anyone has said is clubs just care about firsts and 20s which is a fault of the club not the syatem
    but the other main sports don't have 20s/21s or just have it at end of season
    again not true, the GAA have u21s
    so keep players more involved in adult game far more.

Again your opinion and many of others have voiced their disagreement with your opinion on what retains players. You're completely getting caught up in keeping players in clubs and ignoring getting people to join clubs and see out the first year.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    no nobody said that because they're not. Closest anyone has said is clubs just care about firsts and 20s which is a fault of the club not the syatem
    its very much fault of system when it's the case across so many clubs and has become the norm.
    again not true, the GAA have u21s
    you obviously didn't read what I said. I said GAA have their u21 championships for clubs at beginning or very end of the year and players will primarily play adult senior/junior levels. U21 is in a lot of cases played on straight knock out basis with no league and a player eligible for u21 primary team and games in the year will be open grade adult gamesnbe that senior/intermediate or junior.
    Again your opinion and many of others have voiced their disagreement with your opinion on what retains players. You're completely getting caught up in keeping players in clubs and ignoring getting people to join clubs and see out the first year.
    and I've put up ways that for me work far better in keeping players involved. That work very well in other sports

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

U21 in GAA at club level is completely different to rugby. It's a single knockout championship done from October through to the end of November normally, there's no league so teams are usually a mix of Minor and Senior/Junior players who might train a hand full of times as a squad before the championship.

At least in Leinster for U20s there's the JP Flanagan and the various cups on top of that.

I think there's an argument there that players coming out of school who are on the right track for sub-academy and academy spots need exposure to senior rugby sooner than later, but the U20s teams aren't really valued which I think is a shame. Not all players develop physically at the same rate, and it can be a massive step-up for some players to get thrown it at AIL level regardless if it's 1A or 2C, a lot of them are up against fully grown men for the first time in a competitive environment.

• Advertisement

U21 in GAA at club level is completely different to rugby. It's a single knockout championship done from October through to the end of November normally, there's no league so teams are usually a mix of Minor and Senior/Junior players who might train a hand full of times as a squad before the championship.

At least in Leinster for U20s there's the JP Flanagan and the various cups on top of that.

I think there's an argument there that players coming out of school who are on the right track for sub-academy and academy spots need exposure to senior rugby sooner than later, but the U20s teams aren't really valued which I think is a shame. Not all players develop physically at the same rate, and it can be a massive step-up for some players to get thrown it at AIL level regardless if it's 1A or 2C, a lot of them are up against fully grown men for the first time in a competitive environment.
    I know it is very different and I put it in as a comparison because it is so different. Players play at all different adult levels as appropriate and then if they really want to play with all their friends they can at the end of the season.
    GAa also has for all players the key thing in that players will be playing with their clubs at all graďs beforehand unlike in rugby with the schools players...
    Players can play junior rugby/metro in dublin/leinster which has many teams at all appropriate levels and clubs can put u20 or 22 teams etc if they want to keep some players on same side.
    Not all players do progress at same rate physically so keeping them in age grade rugby for 2 and some cases 3 years after they leave school is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

I know it is very different and I put it in as a comparison because it is so different. Players play at all different adult levels as appropriate and then if they really want to play with all their friends they can at the end of the season.
    GAa also has for all players the key thing in that players will be playing with their clubs at all graďs beforehand unlike in rugby with the schools players...
    Players can play junior rugby/metro in dublin/leinster which has many teams at all appropriate levels and clubs can put u20 or 22 teams etc if they want to keep some players on same side.
    Not all players do progress at same rate physically so keeping them in age grade rugby for 2 and some cases 3 years after they leave school is crazy.

You're acting as if players are forced to play 20s and not open age grade rugby, it's just another option for those that for whatever reason aren't ready for or don't want to play open age grade rugby. It's not like if you're 19 and want to play 4ths your club is going to make you play 20s instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

I believe Paulie Tolofua from Naas has done his cruciate and out for the season/guts thereof

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Tadgh Bennett backs coach to Shannon this season

Peter Hastie going back to Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Has Deasy retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gatekeeper23

Has Deasy retired?

Apparently so, Lansdowne were chasing Willie Staunton as a replacement but he's gone back to Limerick and is playing with Garryowen according to sources.

Young Harry Byrne surely in line to fill Deasy's boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Apparently so, Lansdowne were chasing Willie Staunton as a replacement but he's gone back to Limerick and is playing with Garryowen according to sources.

Sexton will be playing less and less so I'd say Harry Byrne will get chances with Leinster. When Ross Byrne is off with Ireland camps and along with Frawley he'll be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭luke9311

Interesting about willie. Surprised he’s not going back to cookies again but then again I guess since his brothers in garryowen now makes sense for him to go there. Where was he last few seasons navan or wanderers wasn’t it?

luke9311 wrote: »
    Interesting about willie. Surprised he’s not going back to cookies again but then again I guess since his brothers in garryowen now makes sense for him to go there. Where was he last few seasons navan or wanderers wasn’t it?

Been at Navan last few seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 gilesdebond

Peter Hastie going back to Lansdowne.

Craig Ronaldson has signed too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Craig Ronaldson has signed too

That will be a serious signing if he can stay injury free, he definitely has the quality to playing in the pro game, that damn knee!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UpTipp123

serious signing if true - crazy to think he didn't pick up another contract. love seeing ex pros come back to the clubs. Anyone know when fixtures are out?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ronaldson is great!! That's some signing, his big issue in not getting ba new contract or picked up by someone is he was injured for so long no one knew what type of player they'd be getting. I wouldn't be surprised if after a few months injury free and a good run of games he got picked up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Ronaldson is a great signing for Lansdowne, but I could not see him going to an Irish Provincial Club. If he is not kept on in Galway, then I just do not see it.

Have huge admiration for the man, but I think his full professional days are over.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Ronaldson is a great signing for Lansdowne, but I could not see him going to an Irish Provincial Club. If he is not kept on in Galway, then I just do not see it.

Have huge admiration for the man, but I think his full professional days are over.

If he has a good few months with Lansdowne and stays fit he would easily get an MLR contract for 2020, if he wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Ah.............. an MLR contract. Sure, that could be achieved !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 juniorrugbynut

Word on Willie Staunton is that he is going to Kilfeacle (Junior Club in Tipperary) as a player/coach.

Word on Willie Staunton is that he is going to Kilfeacle (Junior Club in Tipperary) as a player/coach.
    Stauntons started in Galbally a neighbouring club to Kilpeople and some of his family would have been central to setting up Kilfeacle when they split from Clanwilliam in 1981
    So move makes sense in that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Gatekeeper23

Rumoured transfers doing the rounds, unsure on validity;

John McKee & Tim Murphy to UCD
    Aaron Conneely to Wanderers
    Edward Weaver to Lansdowne
    Jack Aungier to Tarf
    Naas bringing in 2 overseas players

Advertisement