Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k FPV Quad

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

mlumley wrote:
    |Any one have any thoughts on this Quadcopter, and the youtube vids of the battery falling out?
    mlumley wrote:
    I am thinking of getting one and want to hear if anyone has had it happen to them.

There's one guy on YouTube who's had that issue with the battery. It needs to click in, then it's extremely secure. I think he either crashed it or got a faulty unit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have just had a look at the Specs.

What a shame they only shoot in Jpeg. No RAW makes it a lot less attractive for aerial photography.

CabanSail wrote:
    What a shame they only shoot in Jpeg. No RAW makes it a lot less attractive for aerial photography.

I'm sure it can shoot RAW, although I have not tested it. I will check it out tonight to confirm.

Hey CabanSail

Just looked in the app.

You can shoot in JPEG or JPEG+RAW Mode.

So happy days!

A few clips from today. I have it set to the fastest speed 18m/s or around 65km/h so sometimes the props are visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

tedpan wrote: »
    I've been looking at this for a few weeks now and my birthday's coming up so my wife's ordered it for me. :)

I've just got one and tried to connect the remote by cable to an iPhone 6S. It won't connect at all.
    Before I start searching t'internet have you any tips?

TIA

[Edit]
    Just to add, I've got it connected now. I plugged in the phone with the remote on and it asked me to trust it. My next issue is it's asking me to donwload a firmware update. I've read that updated firmware causes the drone to crash - maybe it's just one specific bad firmware - I don't know.
    Anyway, it won't download without a memory card in the camera so I'll try to dig out a spare one somewhere.

[Edit] Just to add, I've got it connected now. I plugged in the phone with the remote on and it asked me to trust it. My next issue is it's asking me to donwload a firmware update. I've read that updated firmware causes the drone to crash - maybe it's just one specific bad firmware - I don't know. Anyway, it won't download without a memory card in the camera so I'll try to dig out a spare one somewhere.

Nice one

No, you have to do the firmware updates, it won't fly without it. I think some people have no patience and unplug it mid way. Make sure the quad, remote and phone are all fully charged to avoid any issues.

Definitely invest in a memory card :)

Let us know how you get on!

Nice one

No, you have to do the firmware updates, it won't fly without it. I think some people have no patience and unplug it mid way. Make sure the quad, remote and phone are all fully charged to avoid any issues.

Definitely invest in a memory card :)

Let us know how you get on!

Yes it definitely looks like there's no way out of doing the updates. I've taken a card from my GoPro until the other card arrives. Updating away now.

Yes it definitely looks like there's no way out of doing the updates. I've taken a card from my GoPro until the other card arrives. Updating away now.

Cool, the updates only improve things, so wouldn't be worried about them. Hopefully you'll be flying shortly!

Cool, the updates only improve things, so wouldn't be worried about them. Hopefully you'll be flying shortly!

All updated but the compass needs calibration now. Should that be done outside? I tried but it failed.
    I'll have a proper go later.

Incidentally, the trick to getting it to connect seems to be to switch off the Personal Hotspot momentarily. When you switch it on again, the remote picks the phone up.

• Advertisement

All updated but the compass needs calibration now. Should that be done outside? I tried but it failed. I'll have a proper go later.

Yeah, has to be done outside in a wide open space. Make sure the remote is a metre or two away. It's easier with two people as you have to follow the instructions on the app.
    Incidentally, the trick to getting it to connect seems to be to switch off the Personal Hotspot momentarily. When you switch it on again, the remote picks the phone up.

Cool, cheers!

Yeah, has to be done outside in a wide open space. Make sure the remote is a metre or two away. It's easier with two people as you have to follow the instructions on the app.

Cool, cheers!

Just got it flying. Very impressive. Great performance and easy to fly. Compass seems to be a little finicky about where it takes off but I'll recalibrate it and it might improve. Will see if I can throw up some footage this evening.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Just got it flying. Very impressive. Great performance and easy to fly. Compass seems to be a little finicky about where it takes off but I'll recalibrate it and it might improve. Will see if I can throw up some footage this evening.

Awesome, yeah it really is a good flyer. Looking forward to some footage!
    Thanks for the suggestions.

No problem!

Forgot to say, it takes up to 30 seconds to lock on to all GPS satellites prior to taking off. The speed can be changed in GPS settings once you turn beginner mode off, which can be done immediately. You can also change the range and height in GPS settings.

Best of luck!

Forgot to say, it takes up to 30 seconds to lock on to all GPS satellites prior to taking off. The speed can be changed in GPS settings once you turn beginner mode off, which can be done immediately. You can also change the range and height in GPS settings.

There's definitely lots to explore in the settings so I'll explore over the next few days. I've fired up the footage to youtube - nothing special and it was about the third flight. I still haven't calibrated the compass and I'm sure that will help.
    For some reason I was surprised to find there was no sound. I'm sure it'd be fairly rubbish anyway.

Very happy with it I have to say.

There's definitely lots to explore in the settings so I'll explore over the next few days. I've fired up the footage to youtube - nothing special and it was about the third flight. I still haven't calibrated the compass and I'm sure that will help. For some reason I was surprised to find there was no sound. I'm sure it'd be fairly rubbish anyway.

Yep, just video.
    Very happy with it I have to say.

Awesome, the footage is great, extremely steady. I didn't get blade guards with mine, definitely good for the first flights, but clearly visible at speed.

Cheers

Awesome, the footage is great, extremely steady. I didn't get blade guards with mine, definitely good for the first flights, but clearly visible at speed.

Yes, I might lose the guards when I get a bit more experience. It'll make the thing more compact for carrying. I got a spare set of blades with it so maybe a spare battery is all I need now.

Gimbal stopped responding there for a few flights. Camera was working fine but I got a 'Gimbal not ready' message.
    Tried calibrating it but told it wasn't ready.
    Took it off and reseated it but it made no difference. Took it inside for half an hour and tried again. Working again. Wonder if it's temperature related?
    Took it up to about 50m and phone told me it had lost contact with drone.
    Had no problem getting it back down but a bit worrying. Definitely would have been easier with a working camera. A drone at 50m up is not big.

Gimbal stopped responding there for a few flights. Camera was working fine but I got a 'Gimbal not ready' message. Tried calibrating it but told it wasn't ready. Took it off and reseated it but it made no difference. Took it inside for half an hour and tried again. Working again. Wonder if it's temperature related? Took it up to about 50m and phone told me it had lost contact with drone. Had no problem getting it back down but a bit worrying. Definitely would have been easier with a working camera. A drone at 50m up is not big.

Jesus, I have never experienced that before. I've been a lot farther and higher than that. The gimbal did overheat once when I did a firmware update and was messing around with the settings for an hour before flight. I left it for and hour and haven't had an issue since.

When you lost contact, did you have full visibility of it, no obstacles like trees or buildings etc?

Did you use the return to home function? It will return to within a metre of take off.

Did you manage to calibrate it and fly in an open area?

Sorry for all the questions, it's a bit worrying. My mate has the drone too and haven't had these issues.

Jesus, I have never experienced that before. I've been a lot farther and higher than that. The gimbal did overheat once when I did a firmware update and was messing around with the settings for an hour before flight. I left it for and hour and haven't had an issue since.

When you lost contact, did you have full visibility of it, no obstacles like trees or buildings etc?

Did you use the return to home function? It will return to within a metre of take off.

Did you manage to calibrate it and fly in an open area?

Sorry for all the questions, it's a bit worrying. My mate has the drone too and haven't had these issues.

Yep, clear sky. I had successfully calibrated the compass earlier in the session. I then went on to calibrate the gimbal and discovered it wasn't responding.
    Haven't used RTH yet.

• Advertisement

Yep, clear sky. I had successfully calibrated the compass earlier in the session. I then went on to calibrate the gimbal and discovered it wasn't responding. Haven't used RTH yet.

Very strange. Let us know how you get on over the weekend..

Very strange. Let us know how you get on over the weekend..

Experienced the error message once or twice but the gimball worked fine.
    Had it up to 100m with no problem except it warned me that compass signal was weak. It flew perfectly though.
    Tried an auto landing and it was spot on.
    Any idea how to set the RTH altitude?

Experienced the error message once or twice but the gimball worked fine. Had it up to 100m with no problem except it warned me that compass signal was weak. It flew perfectly though. Tried an auto landing and it was spot on. Any idea how to set the RTH altitude?

Nice, still a bit strange about the warnings though. I think all the settings for range and settings are under the GPS settings

Nice, still a bit strange about the warnings though. I think all the settings for range and settings are under the GPS settings

Yes, but it just gave me a slider starting from 30m. Didn't know what to make of it.
    Hopefully the gimball settles down. Took it out again for a quick flight an hour later and everything was fine.
    Don't think I need it to go higher than 100m. Even with the camera I'd prefer to have visuals.

Yes, but it just gave me a slider starting from 30m. Didn't know what to make of it.
    Hopefully the gimball settles down. Took it out again for a quick flight an hour later and everything was fine.
    Don't think I need it to go higher than 100m. Even with the camera I'd prefer to have visuals.

Not happy at all. A lot of the time the gimball says it's not ready. All through my flight today it didn't work yet when I took it inside and switched it on it responded properly.
    More important, I'm losing connection with the drone at no more than 20m away.
    It says I've lost connection with the drone but it coincides with the phone vibrating as it does when you plug it in to charge. Wondering is the phone cable faulty. I'll try a different one tomorrow in case th error message is inaccurate.

Not happy at all. A lot of the time the gimball says it's not ready. All through my flight today it didn't work yet when I took it inside and switched it on it responded properly.
    More important, I'm losing connection with the drone at no more than 20m away.
    It says I've lost connection with the drone but it coincides with the phone vibrating as it does when you plug it in to charge. Wondering is the phone cable faulty. I'll try a different one tomorrow in case th error message is inaccurate.

The gimbal issue does not sound good. As I said, I haven't experienced it. I would contact Xiaomi & the seller(not sure if you purchased from Gearbest like me)

I'm guessing your cable is an issue, as I have been a huge amount further, it should do 3kms with ease. I'm using Android.

Very annoying I'm sure.

Yep. Gearbest. Might be finding out what their customer service is like in the near future.

The latest clip at the beach, this time in Bettystown this morning

The latest clip at the beach, this time in Bettystown this morning

Nice footage.

Changed the cable and everything seems solid now. Got it up to 120m with no problem and was flying for over 20mins total with no sign of a connection loss.
    Is there a built in 120m limit? It told me that was the max height.
    Gimball was working fine too so hopefully settling down.
    Gearbest responded to my support request although I don't know yet what they said as I can't raise it on the phone.
    I've ordered a .5m lightning lead on eBay as it should be neater than a full length lead.

• Advertisement

Nice footage.

Cheers mate.
    Changed the cable and everything seems solid now. Got it up to 120m with no problem and was flying for over 20mins total with no sign of a connection loss. Is there a built in 120m limit? It told me that was the max height. Gimball was working fine too so hopefully settling down. Gearbest responded to my support request although I don't know yet what they said as I can't raise it on the phone. I've ordered a .5m lightning lead on eBay as it should be neater than a full length lead.

That's great, glad it was a simple fix! Hopefully the eBay cable is decent and does the job!

Go to GPS options in the settings on the app

Change the max distance to unlimited and the max height to the 500m limit. ;)

Advertisement