Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Burkie and Connachta

Do not derail another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Burkie and Connachta

Do not derail another thread

Didn't you say it was a Pro14 matter?
    But Ok, my point is made anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    Clubs will want to salvage what they can too.

Clubs wants to avoid being kicked out of Champions Cup next season too.
    That's called fairness

Look, simply look, if as you said, final 5 are played

Connacht would have 3 away hard to win (Treviso+Cardiff+Munster), when Treviso would have 3 winnable home (Connacht, Kings, Zebre)

When cancelled game were winnable for Connacht (Scarlets, Zebre, Glasgow), not for Treviso (Munster twice, Edinburg, away)

That's not slighly unfair. That's 100% unfair. Clubs would finish with 2 MORE away games than other, too. Nonsense. It could even be brought to court IMO

Should be season off, if we can't play behind closed doors. Full spot. Until play-off at least

It will probably anyway. China needed 2 months to open slowly collective events...

Clubs won't be taking anything to court. This is simply out of the control of clubs, competition admins etc.

Whatever happens going forward will be accepted by clubs as there is very little (none) room to do anything else other then what is possible. If this season can resume in Mid April then it will. There will be a load of 0-0 draws as a result.

It's also entirely possible the Italians don't play again this season given the severity of the situation over there.

Edit
    Was typing this as mod instruction was issued.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Grow up FFS.

Clubs won't be taking anything to court. This is simply out of the control of clubs, competition admins etc. Whatever happens going forward will be accepted by clubs as there is very little (none) room to do anything else other then what is possible. If this season can resume in Mid April then it will. There will be a load of 0-0 draws as a result

It's also entirely possible the Italians don't play again this season given the severity of the situation over there.

You should be banned, for utter nonsense, blindness, and not respecting the warning

Fact : Football Euro may be adjourned for a year.
    Forseen from June the 12th

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

My French isn't good enough to read that, but according to Murray Kinsella, that doesn't include the Top14 or ProD2, only amateur and underage rugby. The LNR still have to make the call on the pro rugby.

My French isn't good enough to read that, but according to Murray Kinsella, that doesn't include the Top14 or ProD2, only amateur and underage rugby. The LNR still have to make the call on the pro rugby.

That will be made today. Meeting at lunchtime.

Can see the aussie tour getting canned. Esp given the sh1tshow that happened with the F1.

Interview with Keatley in the Herald yesterday. He is expected to return to Italy over weekend for training on Monday. His wife and kid are back here and he reckons it could be months before he gets to see them again. They are to train in small groups of 6 to 8 players per group and not Interact with the rest of the squad etc.

The welsh ploughing ahead.

Any chance the pro14 has of finishing rests on decisions made by Boris Johnson. And the final if there is one, wont be in Cardiff IMO

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/status/1238399747850932226?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Final cancelled, if it goes ahead will be played at the gome venue of the team with the highest points so rds or aviva, not exactly the worst news be great if two Irish teams were envolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Final cancelled, if it goes ahead will be played at the gome venue of the team with the highest points so rds or aviva, not exactly the worst news be great if two Irish teams were envolved.

If (and big if) it does get there and go ahead, it makes an enormous amount of sense. People will be less inclined to travel and best give it a chance of filling up with home fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Had final tickets, TM going to process a refund in the next few days.

Had flights, weren't a lot....guess if flights still grounded in June I'll get a refund otherwise down the drain (unless I fancy trip to Bristol).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Had tickets to the final - refund landed back on credit card today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What are the alternatives to playing out the season? Mark remaining results as 0-0 draws and proceed to playoffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

thelad95 wrote: »
    What are the alternatives to playing out the season? Mark remaining results as 0-0 draws and proceed to playoffs?

It really depends on if there is time to play anything, they could do that or not finish the season at all. Personally I think it’s most likely done but you just can’t tell until it’s announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

salmocab wrote: »
    It really depends on if there is time to play anything, they could do that or not finish the season at all. Personally I think it’s most likely done but you just can’t tell until it’s announced.

The question around not finishing the season is what happens to the Champions Cup and Challenge cup next season in terms of qualifying places etc. Do you just repeat this years competition with the same groups and teams? And then what happens with the likes of Sarries who are being relegated, are they just replaced with the highest finishing English team that isn't already in the competition.

It'll be really fascinating to see what way direction they take overall.

The question around not finishing the season is what happens to the Champions Cup and Challenge cup next season in terms of qualifying places etc. Do you just repeat this years competition with the same groups and teams? And then what happens with the likes of Sarries who are being relegated, are they just replaced with the highest finishing English team that isn't already in the competition.

I’d imagine they’d just use league places based on how each league decided to finish up 0-0 draws or as it stands then. If they needed a winner from a numbers point of view theyd take Leinster as qualified top possibly, that gives pro 14 extra spot and any playoffs could be based on league table or played pre season. It’s a bit of a pain but it’s very doable. Like I said the other day it’s not soccer they won’t be able to bang in a game every 3 days so if they get anything played this summer it will surely be based on importance with pro 14 behind Europe and international.
    If I was doing it I’d try and get the 6N finished first up or if they abandon it early enough start next season real early and finish up anything that needs engraving quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

...Do you just repeat this years competition with the same groups and teams? And then what happens with the likes of Sarries who are being relegated, are they just replaced with the highest finishing English team that isn't already in the competition.

That would presumably be Bristol replacing Sarries. Bristol are much improved between big money signings and Pat Lam. They would be a tough challenge for Munster in that group but it takes teams a few seasons to bed into the champions cup. Even good teams underperform their first time in the tournament.

That would presumably be Bristol replacing Sarries. Bristol are much improved between big money signings and Pat Lam. They would be a tough challenge for Munster in that group but it takes teams a few seasons to bed into the champions cup. Even good teams underperform their first time in the tournament.

Munster would also have Snyman and De Alende onboard and Carbery (you'd hope) fit.

Last seasons performances are out the window because squads and possibly coaches would be different.

• Advertisement

Munster would also have Snyman and De Alende onboard and Carbery (you'd hope) fit.

Last seasons performances are out the window because squads and possibly coaches would be different.

I’d be very surprised anyway that whatever way they do it if it ends up being the same groups based on last years performance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-training-home-david-howarth-5063845-Apr2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Everything Connacht do in the coming weeks is aimed towards having them ready to return to collective training on 18 May, the target date for all of Irish rugby. They’re very aware that could change, but it gives them a goal for now.

Once they’re back at their training facilities together, it’s been agreed that all Pro14 teams will have a six-week run in period before any games, allowing them to build up their contact work and, hopefully, avoid injuries.

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-training-home-david-howarth-5063845-Apr2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Everything Connacht do in the coming weeks is aimed towards having them ready to return to collective training on 18 May, the target date for all of Irish rugby. They’re very aware that could change, but it gives them a goal for now.

Once they’re back at their training facilities together, it’s been agreed that all Pro14 teams will have a six-week run in period before any games, allowing them to build up their contact work and, hopefully, avoid injuries.

That's interesting. So they're hoping for a relaxation in social distancing by mid May and play behind closed doors from July. That's possible. It's not likely, but it's possible.

The one good thing from all this is that the players are all getting a couple of months off. The way Richie Mccaw took a six month sabbatical. I think Furlong has looked like he needs a proper break.

They’re athletes who have to be in peak condition most of the year to avoid injury. That might be ok for some players but a 20 stone man has to carry that 20 stone everywhere. He never gets a break from being a huge athlete. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Furlong back to good form after this proper break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Got an email from Ticketmaster saying they have been "advised" that due to the cancellation of the season/final etc...the Munster v Leinster, and the Leinster v Zebre games are being rescheduled? Anyone have any idea what that's about? I was expecting a refund any day now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

peekachoo wrote: »
    Got an email from Ticketmaster saying they have been "advised" that due to the cancellation of the season/final etc...the Munster v Leinster, and the Leinster v Zebre games are being rescheduled? Anyone have any idea what that's about? I was expecting a refund any day now :o

Maybe priority is being given to finishing the regular league instead of the playoffs.

Might make sense in terms of money giving teams opportunities to play and possibly get money through the gate (very unlikely that can happen)

Offers a bit more integrity to the competition than just skipping a third of the season and going straight to semi-finals etc.

It's very unlikely that any of the above happens but I can see why they might prefer attempting to conclude the regular season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Maybe priority is being given to finishing the regular league instead of the playoffs.

Might make sense in terms of money giving teams opportunities to play and possibly get money through the gate (very unlikely that can happen)

Offers a bit more integrity to the competition than just skipping a third of the season and going straight to semi-finals etc.

It's very unlikely that any of the above happens but I can see why they might prefer attempting to conclude the regular season.

Yeah it's a strange one, i've already gotten my refund for the final.
    So I'm not sure what the aim is, I'm still gonna assume they'll be eventually cancelled or what not.

Frans Steyn joins the Cheetahs on a 2 year deal from July 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Cheetahs could potentially sign Johan Goosen as well. After all that nonsense with his faux retirement to get out of Racing...

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1251453216811880449?s=19

Advertisement