Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paying VAT on a new Motorbike/Scooter?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

ireland1 wrote: »
    Did you get this sorted please and how? I am in the same situation and ready to go mad lol!

Sorry for the late reply, was away on holidays.
    Yes got sorted but no thanks to the Revenue technical Helpdesk. They never called me back.
    The day before my VRT appointment I tried to do a manual upload of the Certificate of Conformity again. Only this time I used the xml version of the certificate to find they answers.
    I kept saving it on the revenue website & it kept telling me what mandatory questions that still needed to be filled out.
    Then I would do a ctrl f in the xml version & look for them. I still had to make up a few answers that I didn’t have.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Hey all,
    Following up on this thread, and looking at buying brand new bike in Northern Ireland, from a main dealer.

Asked about using the VAT411 form, and they said Yes ... BUT, they wanted me to pay the VAT, they would register the bike (V5 etc as usual), and after I had paid the VAT & VRT down here, they would refund the original VAT. They were open about the reason, and said it was purely 'ass covering' from their perspective in case the bike never gets registered. They are a main dealer, reckon they've done this loads, I don't see a major problem with it ... but wanted to check here to see what the consensus was?

Just wondering if having a NI/UK registered bike with VRT will make life any easier or more difficult importing it?
    I'm assuming it makes it easier - it would be registered so I could insure and drive on the NI plate.
    I expect it would be marked as an Imported vehicle, and have the additional owners, but at least no messing with additional delays with CoC certs, insurance gaps or additional transportation costs.

What do you think?

Also, when paying the VAT down south, I've heard you only paying the additional difference between VAT rates ie; UK 20% vs ROI 23%, means only paying 3% additional VAT? Is that the case? I was originally under the impression you pay the full amount, and get the full refund from original state.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can't legally ride on a UK plate unless you're within the window to get it VRTed. If Customs catch you they will seize the bike. I'm presuming your plan here is to rack up the 6 months / 6000km and then VRT it.

Life ain't always empty.

You can't legally ride on a UK plate unless you're within the window to get it VRTed. If Customs catch you they will seize the bike. I'm presuming your plan here is to rack up the 6 months / 6000km and then VRT it.

Nope, plan is to do VAT411 by the book and register it down here, pay the VAT & VRT. Not trying to do anything dodgy.

Not even talking about the 'export plates' they have available. This would be a fully registered UK/NI bike, full V5 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik you have to pay the full VAT amount here first.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You have to pay the full 23% VAT here first. Once you have your VLC and VAT receipt, provide that to the NI dealer and he'll refund you the UK VAT.

You can't ride it on NI plates except to the VRT office and then you have 3 days to put RoI plates on it.

Check insurance : some are getting v sticky about non RoI regs - remember they are obliged to tell Revenue of all non RoI vehicles they've covered. ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

oh, and, post 31st October it might get a whole lot worse.....Excise as well....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You have to pay the full 23% VAT here first. Once you have your VLC and VAT receipt, provide that to the NI dealer and he'll refund you the UK VAT.

You can't ride it on NI plates except to the VRT office and then you have 3 days to put RoI plates on it.

Check insurance : some are getting v sticky about non RoI regs - remember they are obliged to tell Revenue of all non RoI vehicles they've covered. ....
    Great thanks, have you done it?

Bought my last bike up North, insurer covered it for 5 weeks in total, due to VRT delays. What makes you say I couldn’t ride it if it’s got a full NI plate and it had VRT appt booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

galwaytt wrote: »
    oh, and, post 31st October it might get a whole lot worse.....Excise as well....

I don't imagine the UK will be ponying up VAT refunds after the 31st.

Life ain't always empty.

I don't imagine the UK will be ponying up VAT refunds after the 31st.

Indeed: it's conceivable you could pay UK VAT at 20% and then Irish VAT at 23% as well............

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

thos wrote: »
    Great thanks, have you done it?

Bought my last bike up North, insurer covered it for 5 weeks in total, due to VRT delays. What makes you say I couldn’t ride it if it’s got a full NI plate and it had VRT appt booked?

I have, but there was no delay locally.

What I'm saying is once your insured and it's booked on for it's VRT inspection, it's fine : delays on their side are out of your control.

Just don't do it the other way 'round, where you ride around for ages before even getting a booking. That's where you're expose.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement