Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paying VAT on a new Motorbike/Scooter?

• 24-05-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

I've ordered a brand new Vespa from a dealer in Northern Ireland.
    The dealer isn't' charging me the UK Vat and advised that I must pay the ROI VAT as its a new scooter.
    Can anybody advise me how I do that?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When you VRT it it will be included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Although if the ride down was 6000km and took you 6 months then you'd probably not have to pay it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

When I bought a bike in Belfast I had to bring it to the VRT office as they had to physically see it. VAT & VRT are paid together to Revenue & you'll get your reg. number. Registration cert. issues within a couple of days

Revenue Commissioners Dublin Vehicle Registration Offices, Revenue Commissioners, Furry Park, Santry (01)8579800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

fdevine wrote: »
    When I bought a bike in Belfast I had to bring it to the VRT office as they had to physically see it. VAT & VRT are paid together to Revenue & you'll get your reg. number. Registration cert. issues within a couple of days

Revenue Commissioners Dublin Vehicle Registration Offices, Revenue Commissioners, Furry Park, Santry (01)8579800

But how can you bring it to the VRT office if you don't have a Registration number?

Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

PWEI wrote: »
    But how can you bring it to the VRT office if you don't have a Registration number?

They will issue you a registration number when you give them the V5 document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

you'll have to get a van

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The NI dealer won't let you leave unless you have a van or trailer. Use this to bring it to your NCTS center. Make an appointment for the day you pick up the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Will the bike be registered in the UK already, ie; has a UK V5 and registration plate?

How is the UK dealer not charging you VAT? Are you providing a VAT number to them?

The 'proper' process is pay the UK VAT, at VRT time you pay the Irish VAT, and then claim back the UK VAT. Horrendous, but that's how it's supposed to be.

You'll need to present your receipt and invoice to VRT office, which will show 0 VAT, and you will need to fill in the VAT Number of the dealer on the VRT PD2 form. That may raise some questions for you and the dealer. Make sure they are properly aware.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

thos wrote: »
    Will the bike be registered in the UK already, ie; has a UK V5 and registration plate?

How is the UK dealer not charging you VAT? Are you providing a VAT number to them?

The 'proper' process is pay the UK VAT, at VRT time you pay the Irish VAT, and then claim back the UK VAT. Horrendous, but that's how it's supposed to be.

You'll need to present your receipt and invoice to VRT office, which will show 0 VAT, and you will need to fill in the VAT Number of the dealer on the VRT PD2 form. That may raise some questions for you and the dealer. Make sure they are properly aware.
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

There's a form you fill in when buying a new vehicle for export to another EU country to avoid paying VAT in the export country. You only pay VAT once in the EU and since new vehicles have to pay VAT on registration better to not pay in the UK, though you can reclaim it if you do pay it. But with the farce that is Brexit I'd not be leaving any money in the UK incase they crash out and you can't reclaim the VAT.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The NI dealer won't let you leave unless you have a van or trailer. Use this to bring it to your NCTS center. Make an appointment for the day you pick up the bike.

The NI dealer is delivering it to me so I don't need to hire a van.

The Dealer received a certificate of conformity from Piaggio to allow registration in Ireland.

• Advertisement

The NI dealer is delivering it to me so I don't need to hire a van.

You'll need one to get it to the NCT Centre.

That's not the 'proper' process. If it's a new means of transport, either less than 6 months old/6000km, then it's sold less VAT. You use the VAT411 form to do that. I've done it twice now, with cars but same process.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

stesaurus wrote: »
    That's not the 'proper' process. If it's a new means of transport, either less than 6 months old/6000km, then it's sold less VAT. You use the VAT411 form to do that. I've done it twice now, with cars but same process.

I can confirm this is the case with the UK VAT411 form, as I have been through the process—although, at the very end, I decided not to go ahead and I bought the bike in Ireland. Had I proceeded, the bike would have never been registered in the UK. No UK number plates means having to arrange van transport straight to the Revenue/NCTS office, to tax (VRT *and* VAT) and register here on an Irish reg number.

You seem to have been dealing with a knowledgeable dealer in NI. Not all UK dealers are aware of the VAT411 form, and some do not like doing it, which leaves you with the other, far more complicated option of paying VAT there, reclaiming, and paying again here. VAT411 is a better way to do it, and it is designed for personal purchases, not companies (there is also a VAT411A). There are other ways to use the VAT411 procedure, but they are more complex. See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-new-means-of-transport-removal-from-the-uk-to-another-member-state-of-the-ec-vat411
    Although if the ride down was 6000km and took you 6 months then you'd probably not have to pay it! :D

You could not ride it down without a UK licence plate. To have the plate you would have to have paid the UK VAT anyway. The value of bringing it 6 months later or with 6000km is that you would not need to pay Irish VAT *again*. You would have to pay Irish VRT anyway.

OK, so VAT411 says "Use this form to report when a new means of transport is bought or sold in the UK and will be removed to an EU state within 2 months, where the buyer isn’t registered for VAT"

But in the case of 2-6months old / <6000km, the bike could still be registered, so while still liable for VAT here, I don't see how there is an exception for not paying the VAT in the UK - again talking pre-registered bikes here.

I had a few dealers trying to sell me ex-demo bikes, which are VAT'able, they wanted to sell them ex-VAT, but needed a VAT number from me. Two separate dealers in NI.

So, sounds like with VAT411, there is no UK VAT for brand new or <2 months old, but you then pay VAT here.
    2-6 months < 6000km, you're stung for VAT here, and sounds like you can't get away from it in UK unless you're VAT registered.
    >6 months / >6000k, no issues with paying VAT here, but you're probably getting stung for VAT in UK, unless you've got a VAT number.

Is that it?

OK, so VAT411 says "Use this form to report when a new means of transport is bought or sold in the UK and will be removed to an EU state within 2 months, where the buyer isn’t registered for VAT"

But in the case of 2-6months old / <6000km, the bike could still be registered, so while still liable for VAT here, I don't see how there is an exception for not paying the VAT in the UK - again talking pre-registered bikes here.

I had a few dealers trying to sell me ex-demo bikes, which are VAT'able, they wanted to sell them ex-VAT, but needed a VAT number from me. Two separate dealers in NI.

So, sounds like with VAT411, there is no UK VAT for brand new or <2 months old, but you then pay VAT here.
    2-6 months < 6000km, you're stung for VAT here, and sounds like you can't get away from it in UK unless you're VAT registered.
    >6 months / >6000k, no issues with paying VAT here, but you're probably getting stung for VAT in UK, unless you've got a VAT number.

Is that it?

Nope, VAT411 should be used in all cases of buying a NMT. The problem is a lack of education from dealers and not understanding how to handle it. If you start talking about ex-VAT generally they think you're on the fiddle and don't want to deal with you.

However I've bought 2 cars in the past, both registered on UK plates and having demo mileage and both were sold ex-VAT. So there are some who understand the process.

@thos, you got the gist of it, but not quite all of it, I think. VAT and VRT are complex, and I do not pretend to be an expert. Having said that, I think you are might be confusing the concept of a new means of transport (NMT) with the time that has passed from its registration in UK. NMT is explained in UK VAT Notice 728.

You ask:

I am not sure which “here” you are referring to at the end of the question—that bike could not have been pre-registered in Ireland, so I assume you mean it has been already registered in UK.

If it has been registered in UK for more than 2 months, but less than 6, it can be still considered NMT and VAT411 might apply.—as long, however, as no more than 2 months have passed since its “entry into service” (see section 2.3). This is tricky, because if the bike was used, for example, for a demo ride, it is deemed to have entered into service. VAT411 does not apply if more than 2 months passed since entry into service. In the situation you have described, the bike has been road taxed in UK at its (pre)registration. Unless you could successfully argue with HMRC that it had not entered into service yet—for instance, because it still has zero mileage—the seller has to charge UK VAT on it to the consumer who is buying it—so you are right, there is no way to avoid paying UK VAT if you are a personal buyer in this case.

—as long, however, as no more than 6 months have passed since its “entry into service” (see section 2.3). This may get tricky, because if the bike was used, for example, for a demo ride prior to its registration, it is deemed to have entered into service earlier. VAT411 does not apply if more than 6 months passed since entry into service. Further, if using VAT411 bike has to be removed from UK and taxed in Ireland within 2 months, or UK VAT will become liable. In the situation you have described, the bike has been road taxed in UK at its (pre)registration. As long as you can successfully argue with HMRC that it had not entered into service much earlier—for instance, because it still has low or zero mileage—and you use the VAT411 form, the seller does not have to charge UK VAT on it to the consumer who is buying it. Otherwise, the seller has to charge full UK VAT.

Either way, you can drive it legally, assuming you would find someone to insure it for you for the journey. Once you got to Ireland, you would have to pay Irish VAT—even if UK VAT has already been paid there. You would also have to pay the Irish VRT. You can, afterwards, apply for UK VAT to be refunded, which is a complex procedure, compared to UK VAT411, which allows you to buy it without paying any VAT in UK.

Alternatively, buy a bike in UK that has never been registered there. It does not matter how many months it has been sitting at the dealers—preferably as long as it had not been used for demos on the red dealer plates (so as not to trigger the “entry into service” clause). Even if it is year old, as long as it had no UK registration and no entry into service, it is NMT and you can buy it without paying UK VAT as long as you go the VAT411 route. You could use VAT411 even if it had been registered fewer than 6 months earlier and has less than 6000km on the clock. All of this assumes the dealer wants to cooperate—not all of them do, as they take a risk that if no VAT were subsequently paid in another EU country, HMRC would ask them for it, saddling them with a loss. This is one of the reasons they should want you to have it registered and taxed in Ireland on the day of arrival here.

If it had not been registered in UK, you would not be able to legally ride it (no licence plates etc) and it would have to be delivered, in a van, preferably straight to the Irish Revenue location for VAT and VRT.

All in all, you may find that UK dealers are not too keen on selling bikes without having them registered in UK first. This is because they get considerable registration-linked bonuses, which they would miss out on. That is also another reason why they like to pre-register bikes in UK, not something of an issue in Ireland, with our smaller market and fewer dealer incentives, to the best of my knowledge.

The sweet-spot for VAT411 to apply and to make both the dealer and you happy is to find a bike that had been pre-registered in UK no earlier than 6 months prior to you buying it, has definitely less than 6000km on the clock (should be easy) and no implication that it had entered into service, eg. as a long-term demo bike prior to those 6 months. In that case VAT411 applies, you could legally ride it to Ireland if you insure it—this will be tricky as you may need to temporarily register it in UK with a UK address—and you get to complete all Irish VAT and VRT on the day you get it here, which must be still within the 2 months of its sale to you. Van shipping makes things a little easier. As @stesaurus said, few UK dealers are versed in this.

Interesting stuff. Will have a proper read through this later, thanks!

I spoke to the VRT booking line and they advised me that I had to Logon to Revenue.ie and upload the Certificate of Conformity before my appointment. So I scanned the document and tried that but it won't accept a pdf document only xml format. I then converted the document to xml but they won't accept a converted document either and it says if you don't have the original Certificate of Conformity in xml format you have to input the Certificate manualy.
    I spent six hours trying to manually input it yesterday but some of the information they are looking for is not on the Certificate.
    I'm really at a loss what to do now.
    All I want to do is pay the vat and vrt and get the bike on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I recently enquired about buying a new bike in NI (McCallens) I was told that if its for export they will register the bike in Phillip McCallens name and then sell it to me VAT free. So it will have a NI reg plate and be brand new, I will have to pay the VRT and the VAT locally...

It means I am not the 1st registered owner but by his and my calculations I would save €1499 by doing this.

I spoke to the VRT booking line and they advised me that I had to Logon to Revenue.ie and upload the Certificate of Conformity before my appointment. So I scanned the document and tried that but it won't accept a pdf document only xml format. I then converted the document to xml but they won't accept a converted document either and it says if you don't have the original Certificate of Conformity in xml format you have to input the Certificate manualy.
    I spent six hours trying to manually input it yesterday but some of the information they are looking for is not on the Certificate.

Wrong thread

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I recently enquired about buying a new bike in NI (McCallens) I was told that if its for export they will register the bike in Phillip McCallens name and then sell it to me VAT free. So it will have a NI reg plate and be brand new, I will have to pay the VRT and the VAT locally...

It means I am not the 1st registered owner but by his and my calculations I would save €1499 by doing this.

I am curious how could it save you money, unless you are getting a better price in NI than here. Irish VAT is higher than UK (23% vs 20%) and so is the VRT. Assuming a similar net selling price, you’d pay more in Ireland’s taxes than in NI. However, if you are getting a good deal there, of course it makes sense, despite the higher taxes.

Watch out for the registration number that you would get in NI. If it comes from the special pool of licence plate VAT-free numbers, which are reserved for VAT411 purposes, you may find it harder to insure it for the trip down. Does not matter if you ship in a van.

Rafal wrote: »
    I am curious how could it save you money, unless you are getting a better price in NI than here. Irish VAT is higher than UK (23% vs 20%) and so is the VRT. Assuming a similar net selling price, you’d pay more in Ireland’s taxes than in NI. However, if you are getting a good deal there, of course it makes sense, despite the higher taxes.

Watch out for the registration number that you would get in NI. If it comes from the special pool of licence plate VAT-free numbers, which are reserved for VAT411 purposes, you may find it harder to insure it for the trip down. Does not matter if you ship in a van.

You will pay Irish VAT on a new bike, which is <6 months old or <6k km, when you register it here. Its much easier to not pay UK VAT than reclaim it after paying the Irish VAT. VRT is a set amount and with Sterling low its a good time to buy. There's also issues with some Irish distributors.

Though I thought that form 411 means that you can be the 1st owner and not the 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Get the selling dealer to supply you the CoC in xml format.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

Wrong thread

galwaytt wrote: »

Yes, I got on to the dealer today.
    He doesn't have the CoC in xml format but is going to get on to piaggio to try and get one for me.

Hopefully they can supply one as some of the mandatory questions on the manual process are not on the printed CoC that I have.

The system seems to be designed for more larger vehicles and the problem is if you don't have an answer to a mandatory question, you can't save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

Call dealer in NI tell him to reg. the bike, he can call you back with new NI reg.number.
    Bike will sail through in nct centre, pay vrt and vat.

Call dealer in NI tell him to reg. the bike, he can call you back with new NI reg.number.
    Bike will sail through in nct centre, pay vrt and vat.

If I register it in Northern Ireland, I’ll end up paying VAT twice, in the North & VAT in the south.

If I register it in Northern Ireland, I’ll end up paying VAT twice, in the North & VAT in the south.

Not necessarily. If you use VAT411 procedure you *can* have a UK licence number allocated from a VAT-free pool. However, you’re likely to find it harder to insure and drive on that number. Otherwise use VAT411, don’t register in NI and have it shipped in a van to VRT and VAT in Ireland. Read up on VAT411, it can save you a lot of hassle, as long as the dealer wants to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nope,as Rafal points out, you can register it in the North and still get it VAT-free if the dealer is prepared to do the legwork and paperwork.

Otherwise you pay UK VAT and, when you register it here and pay the Irish VAT, you get a refund from HMRC of the UK VAT.

Either way, you only ever pay VAT on anything once.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ireland1

Did you get this sorted please and how? I am in the same situation and ready to go mad lol!

Advertisement