Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a long van roof rack on my SUV

• 07-11-2018 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

So, I transport kayaks a lot, and a lot of kayaks!

I have a Nissan Xtrail that doesn't have a roof rack and have been looking for a cage style/full rack rather than just two bars.

Now I'm seeing a lot of the full length ones up on done deal and it struck me it might be a great idea to put that on and extend it out over the bonnet.

I would need some sort of suppport, probably welded to the chassis under the front and coming up around the front bumper to raise up to the front of the rack. Probably two bars, maybe just square bar.

Don't really want to cut a hole in the bonnet or anything like that.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge on this kind of thing?

And would it be road legal? Or how would I get it signed off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

I would think tied in properly to the front legs it would be fine and in Ireland once it looked reasonable I dont see how you would be questioned on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Search some/any of the ozzie offroad forums. I've seen long roof racks on their jeeps so there might be a forum out there that has plans for your jeep and it's a country with a lot of jeeps that go properly offroad so the odds are higher someone there has already built what you need

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would think the best way will be to bolt to the ends of the chassis rather than welding which is a lot more permanent.
    In any case I think you will need to drill holes in the bumper to bring the legs of the rack vertically up, DOE and CVRT don't really like stuff protruding past the bumper as it affects pedestrian safety.
    Don't forget if you are carrying a lot of weight the rack will have to be pretty sturdy as the forces will be magnified by the lengths of the stays to the chassis and could lead to some decent bending moments.
    The only vehicles I have seen with this kind of rack installed are Landrovers, which have a decent chassis, and bumpers that can take this kind of weight, in the case of the X-trail the chassis is pretty light and fixing the rack to the chassis and the roof may lead to cracking as the car flexes and the rack doesn't.
    Plus that much weight up top will greatly affect the cars C of G.
    There is a reason most car roof racks have a 100kg limit.
    466934.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

genuinely why are you not just getting a Kayak Trailer more suited to carrying many kayaks and more accessible to get them on and off.

What your describing sounds unstable and an absolute pain to load and unload. If its used with any regularity it will become old very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

enumbers wrote: »
    I would think tied in properly to the front legs it would be fine and in Ireland once it looked reasonable I dont see how you would be questioned on it

I think you would be questioned on it when you declare the modification to your insurer or (should you not declare it) after the crash when they say your insurance is null and void...

• Advertisement
Advertisement