Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford Transit camper build

• 31-07-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭

Myself and my friend are converting a SWB low roof Ford Transit to a campervan.
    It's not going to be the biggest one out there, but will be ideal for festivals, beach trips and short trips away.

It started out as a minibus
    IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The first job is to completely strip out the interior of the rear. This wasn't a factory built minibus to start with, so it was pretty simple to get everything out.

Seats unbolted, stuck-on carpet round the windows taken off and side panels removed

IMG_1762.jpg

Next job was to put some bubble wrap style foil insulation up

IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg

The keen-eyed among you will have spotted the rust around the wheelarches. There was also patches underneath, the sills have held up pretty well though.

IMG_1746.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg

Neither myself or my friend can weld, so it was sent off to get fixed. Nice tidy job done.

Next up is the socket for 230v

IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg

Electrical gubbins ready to go in
    IMG_1747.jpg

One socket and window-tint later :)
    IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_1758.jpg

Now for some mods!

The standard plastic wheel was a bit gacky so my friend pulled it out of the bag and covered it with an eBay special. Looks and feels a million times better now.

IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1742.jpg

Newer spec tail lights fitted.
    IMG_1737.jpg
    Really freshens up the rear end, along with the tints.

• Advertisement

Next step is to run all the 230v wiring over the inside of the roof and to the various points where it'll be needed. There was also a lot of 12v wiring to be hidden too, for 12v sockets, lighting etc. The bubble insulation is added to with that scratchy fibreglass type stuff

The floor is getting bubble wrapped (cutting it out in this pic) and getting a sheet of thin corrugated plastic before getting the ply floor over that.
    The floor is an off the shelf Transit floor.

IMG_1615.jpg

The wall panels are also premade. In retrospect this is something we could have easily done ourselves. Test fitting one here.

Fitted a damp proof course (Dealz dust sheet)
    IMG_1629.jpg

A couple of crashed Skodas were cannibalized for their interior lighting

IMG_1753.jpg
    IMG_1755.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1756.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg
    Cabling routed through the factory ducting, and then there was light
    IMG_1732.jpg

Next job is to fit the other lights into the roof ply. The roof panel can be reused from the original minibus conversion but will have to be cut down a little to fit the new walls.

I made boxes for the lights just in case they came in contact with the insulation, which is conductive.

IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg

Test fit, all good.
    IMG_1728.jpg

This was the most fiddly part.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided that it would be nice to completely box around the windows and have the ply come up to the roof, rather than the much easier gluing the wall material directly to the metal around the windows. Figured it would look more professional and neat, plus you'd have window ledges for putting stuff on, and it might make adding curtains or blinds easier.

IMG_1670.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg

The glass is curved too, which made this more of a pain. This will all be carpeted over. All edges smoothed off now. Same craic on the passenger side.

All cavities bubble wrapped with bubble wrap and filled with insulation. Roof bubble wrapped and insulated too. Wheel arches insulated and boxed off.
    IMG_1775.jpg

Screw holes starting to be filled and sanded. Roof partially up and wiring ran for the lights. (Will be connected to a leisure battery.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

That's a savage build! Gonna wait for further updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Nice work Colm. Love these threads and I'm looking forward to this.

My brother and I DOE'd my parents old Transporter camper last month after five years off the road and have been using it for the last couple of weekends for random jaunts around the place but they only went and sold it yesterday and now we're looking for something between us. Would love to start something like this but again we get around to finishing it and sorting legalities etc Summer well be dead and gone.

Another brother of mine only started converting a high rood Transit of the same vintage over the weekend!

Good luck & looking forward to updates

Next job in is getting the 12V electrics working. This was another fiddly one, sourcing the right parts and getting everything to fit neatly. The fuse boxes came from The Range, the isolater switch and the leisure battery and one of the battery leads came from Halfords (thank you trade card!) the smaller bits like crimp connections and the cable going from the battery to the fuse box were got in Maplin. My friend got the split charge system online, the outer casing for the fuse box came from B&Q

IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg

We will have to make a bracket for holding in the second battery. The small square box is the split charger. This disconnects the leisure battery from the van battery when the engine is turned off so you don't run down the van battery. The isolater switch adds a layer of protection and should prevent the battery draining over time.

Finally, a fun job!

You gotta have a reversing camera right? Hooray for eBay.

Specific fitment camera replaces one of the old number plate lights.
    Handy place to mount the screen too.

IMG_1782.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg

It works, trigger for the reverse light done, just can't find a 12v ignition feed. Haven't checked the radio yet but the 2 cigarette lighter sockets are permanent live. Does anyone know if it's just a matter of swapping a fuse like it is on other Fords?

Second half of the ceiling finally up tonight!

IMG_1786.jpg

Bit of sanding to do so the carpet will be perfectly smooth. The dark patches are glue from before, looks like there's a leak but there isn't -thank gawd

IMG_1789.jpg
    Ply around the window looks a bit strange in this pic, it's just black paint around the edge, looks completely crooked!
    IMG_1790.jpg
    Another slightly unusual job. I am probably a bit too particular about how the carpet will sit. Time will tell if isopon was the right tool for the job here. I can't see it cracking as everything fits tightly.

Will sand it again tomorrow, but once it's the right shape for the carpet it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

This is unreal Colm. Keep up the good work. :)

The sockets arrived today, nice neat jobs, they're specifically for campers and caravans.

IMG_1795.jpg

My mate also got the carpet, so I messed around with fitting some of it. It's stretchy enough, so hopefully it will stretch into the corners of the window openings.

IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1793.jpg
    IMG_1794.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/westfalia-camper-for-sale/16097429

YTY0YzkxM2M5ODhkZTRkMjA1ZDAxYzAwN2IzZGFlMWV5GBIYWZpkf0ODiBCxBMDwaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183NzY5MzQ0OHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Bit of inspiration for you from this mornings classifieds!

The pop top would be great but would nearly cost more than the van.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The pop top would be great but would nearly cost more than the van.

Are you going to fit an awning? They're handy and can double the size of your ground space if you go full size with sides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

what about insurance, you may have issues. Also it would be worth investing in a M1 rated rock and roll bed you can always take it to the next van

Insurance is looking to be sorted. Yeah an awning is on the plan. Priority now is to get it done and inspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Insurance is looking to be sorted. Yeah an awning is on the plan. Priority now is to get it done and inspected.

Are you hoping to use it before the season ends or to have it ready for next year?

Hoping to have it ready in the next 2 weeks.

Doing a bit more on the windows

IMG_2853.jpg

Ah windows!
    IMG_2856.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,769 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Brilliant thread colm. Best of luck with it. Looks savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

These are great for this type of camper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Swivel-CTA-for-Ford-Transit-2004-2013-Left-Right-Hand-/282104919861?epid=27003031850&hash=item41aec37735:g:CgYAAOSwLnBX2-0J

Nice build Colm you're making short work of it. Also pick up some LED for the lamps they'll
    give a better light.

• Advertisement

LED bulbs in this evening :)
    Warm white so they look exactly like normal bulbs.

Advertisement