Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self Repair on Small Ding Acoustic Guitar

• 09-09-2019 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I have a vintaqe higher end of "mid range guitar" that has a bit of a tiny ding on it. Built 1981.

The top is stained a (sunburst-ish) dark-yellow, morphing to brownish mahogany colour.

The ding is about 2 x 3 mm, so its tiny, but the stain is gone and has exposed the very light cedar wood, so its very noticeable. Its painfully obvious, when the rest of the guitar is mint.

If I send this to a luthier, whats he/she gonna do? Is there anything that I could do without making a hames of it?

It seems me if I get the colour right, then use a light coating of a good quality lacquer, I wont be doing much less than a luthier who will charge a good few quid for it.

Mad or what? Or give it a go?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

A luthier will probably fill it with sawdust from the same type of wood that is soaked in matching stain and then drop some kind of glue on it to harden. He'll then sand it with decreasing grades of sandpaper and buff it.

Not rocket science if you watch a few videos and have the right tools. Maybe even have a few practice runs with some scrap wood. If you value the guitar at all though, it would probably be better to just bring it to a guy who has all the gear to do it and has already done similar jobs dozens or hundreds of times. I honestly can't see it breaking the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Cheers Smashmouth. Sound advice.

Advertisement