Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature student - maths

• 02-07-2019 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭

Im looking for a bit of help/info...

I'm a 40 year old working full time and I'm thinking of doing an online/part time course to better myself. The thing is, I failed maths in my leaving and I believe this would be a stumbling block if I were to apply for any other courses.

If I wish to progress, I'm guessing my next step would be to find a course to sit leaving cert maths (and/or equivalent). Does anybody know if there are any part time /distance/online courses available for mature students to sit the Maths Leaving cert? Ive seen some that are focused towards students repeating maths to gain entry to 3rd level education.

I'd like to think I havent left it to late in life to try rectify this part of my leaving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

GBX wrote: »
    Im looking for a bit of help/info...

I'm a 40 year old working full time and I'm thinking of doing an online/part time course to better myself. The thing is, I failed maths in my leaving and I believe this would be a stumbling block if I were to apply for any other courses.

If I wish to progress, I'm guessing my next step would be to find a course to sit leaving cert maths (and/or equivalent). Does anybody know if there are any part time /distance/online courses available for mature students to sit the Maths Leaving cert? Ive seen some that are focused towards students repeating maths to gain entry to 3rd level education.

I'd like to think I havent left it to late in life to try rectify this part of my leaving.

You don't need maths or a leaving cert to return to college as a mature student. Unless you are planning to do maths, science or related subjects I wouldn't waste your time or money at it. Most colleges these days have free maths tutors, classes, drop in centres etc. so if you were doing a course, you'd be able to get support.

If you are planning to do a maths, science etc. related Level 8 degree course I would suggest doing an university access course, PLC, or any level 5, 6, 7 course. There are ones specifically geared towards preparation for doing maths/science for a degree and they would prepare you much better than a leaving cert would.

The only time any mature student should do a leaving cert in my opinion is if their ability is very low, like not being able to read/write properly or do basic arithmetic etc. and if that's the case for that person I would say then it's more than okay to start out with a leaving/junior cert by accessing local adult education centres, NALA or similar charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I got a D in my leaving cert ordinary level maths and just finished a 4 year level 8 engineering degree.

Most good colleges have free maths grinds that you can avail of, ie my college in WIT has a maths learning center thats open 4 days a week and you can either walk in for help or book an appointment for a one to to one session.

I posted the following info in the engineering forum.

"There are a load of online resources for engineering maths available free online. 1000'S of tutorials on youtube.

The khan academy is a good one and freestudy.co.uk.

It would be no harm to make a start on that stuff to give yourself a headstart because lectures go at a very quick pace."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Thanks for the replies. I have yet to decide on what course I want to do but the maths element wont be the defining factor. I'll delve further into courses and go from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

"There are a load of online resources for engineering maths available free online. 1000'S of tutorials on youtube.

It would be no harm to make a start on that stuff to give yourself a headstart because lectures go at a very quick pace."

Nancy Pi for the lads
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRGXV1QlxZ8aucmE45tRx8w

, Tyler DeWitt https://www.youtube.com/user/tdewitt451

, and for de Laydeez....

Professor Leonard
    https://www.youtube.com/user/professorleonard57

All their problems are very visual and were a great resource for me repeating my leaving last year. They are as good as having a tutor looking over your shoulder while doing Maths/science.

Thanks for the replies. I have yet to decide on what course I want to do but the maths element wont be the defining factor. I'll delve further into courses and go from there.

I would tell you there is no harm in having a chat with a VTOS adult education officer. I find my one to be on the ball as being ex-industry and a PhD with a great understanding of Adult education and HFA.

• Advertisement

DeeAvery wrote: »
    You don't need maths or a leaving cert to return to college as a mature student. Unless you are planning to do maths, science or related subjects I wouldn't waste your time or money at it. Most colleges these days have free maths tutors, classes, drop in centres etc. so if you were doing a course, you'd be able to get support.

If you are planning to do a maths, science etc. related Level 8 degree course I would suggest doing an university access course, PLC, or any level 5, 6, 7 course. There are ones specifically geared towards preparation for doing maths/science for a degree and they would prepare you much better than a leaving cert would.

The only time any mature student should do a leaving cert in my opinion is if their ability is very low, like not being able to read/write properly or do basic arithmetic etc. and if that's the case for that person I would say then it's more than okay to start out with a leaving/junior cert by accessing local adult education centres, NALA or similar charities.

The repeat leaving for mature students is not a complete waste of time. It is viewed on par with an access course in University. Go and touch base with these centers. You can judge a course by results got by the Maths and English teacher. A serious applicant will have maths and english and followed by two other subjects that are relevant to the course of study to be pursued at University.

The problem with the VTOS adult education is that they have to take everyone including certain individual with no business in education. These individually usually give up before christmas. When the university interview you for a course they are more interested in your commitment and interest in the course and how fast you absorbed learning in less than 8 months. I had no proper background in Physics and Chemistry that I needed before I did the course.

I would think it would be very foolish to go headlong into a level 8 course without a University Access/Repeat Leaving/relevant PLC course as I previously done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

You havent. I went back and did the full leaving cert, just sat it there in June. I did Higher level maths, having gotten a D in ordinary level originally. It was an amazing experience. I worked very hard and I reckon I got a H2/H3(results out in a few weeks). What I'll say is this, if you feel like this is something you'd like to rectify then do it. But You probably dont actually require it for whatever course you want. As a mature student you wont need it. That said though, if youre thinking about doing something technical like engineering, it would be a good idea to sit the leaving cert maths. You wouldnt even have to do higher level, ordinary would suffice, and ordinary level is very doable. If I were you I'd get myself a Junior cert higher level maths book(Active maths 2)and work through that by yourself. If you find the problems too hard then you know where you are at and you might have to first repeat ordinary junior cert maths before you even go near the leaving cert. But if you can do the problems then theres a few places you could check out. Institute of education run grinds classes which are part time and so do ashfield. Otherwise you could try an adult leaving cert college such as Crumlin college who run evening classes in leaving cert maths.

Dont forget there is summer school in Maths on all the third levels for 3 weeks during the summer for CAO applicants regardless where you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sorry if I'm derailing this thread , but where do I get leaving cert maths books ?
    I'm doing an OU course and I need to remember my maths. I've been looking online for grinds but no answers yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

cjmc wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm derailing this thread , but where do I get leaving cert maths books ?
    I'm doing an OU course and I need to remember my maths. I've been looking online for grinds but no answers yet.

Why dont u look up the past papers that are available online, then google how to do them. There's thousands of tutorials on you tube and i listed a few here in a previous post on this thread.
    Or if your stuck on a particular problem, post your problem in the maths forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

santana75 wrote: »

You havent. I went back and did the full leaving cert, just sat it there in June. I did Higher level maths, having gotten a D in ordinary level originally. It was an amazing experience. I worked very hard and I reckon I got a H2/H3(results out in a few weeks). What I'll say is this, if you feel like this is something you'd like to rectify then do it. But You probably dont actually require it for whatever course you want. As a mature student you wont need it. That said though, if youre thinking about doing something technical like engineering, it would be a good idea to sit the leaving cert maths. You wouldnt even have to do higher level, ordinary would suffice, and ordinary level is very doable. If I were you I'd get myself a Junior cert higher level maths book(Active maths 2)and work through that by yourself. If you find the problems too hard then you know where you are at and you might have to first repeat ordinary junior cert maths before you even go near the leaving cert. But if you can do the problems then theres a few places you could check out. Institute of education run grinds classes which are part time and so do ashfield. Otherwise you could try an adult leaving cert college such as Crumlin college who run evening classes in leaving cert maths.

Do you mind me asking why you did the full repeat leaving course and how did you find it? I would love to study veterinary but would have to repeat the leaving cert and this is a massive obstacle in terms of time, money and realistically scoring 570 points

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking why you did the full repeat leaving course and how did you find it? I would love to study veterinary but would have to repeat the leaving cert and this is a massive obstacle in terms of time, money and realistically scoring 570 points

You dont have to repeat the full leaving cert but you do have to show some potential. You need to show proficiency in the subjects the interviewers (Course Director, Head of Department) want to see. Pick the closest subjects they want to see where possible. Maths English and Biology (are what I would choose for a veterinary interview), I would choose Chemistry because it combines with Biology for BioChemistry but Physics is also a good choice. That only buys you a "hello" or an invite to an interview.

The Personal statement will be expanded on and fleshed out in the interview and they are more interested in how much you know and can you go steady for 4/5 years and what have you done to get there. What did you work at and where did you volunteer. These are the qualities they are looking at. They are also interested in what are your back up courses are. Are all the courses in a similar line or are they diverse.

You have to be realistic how many people are going for how many places? You have to be realistic if you dont get it and get your back up choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Sheepdish1 wrote: »

You dont have to repeat the full leaving cert but you do have to show some potential. You need to show proficiency in the subjects the interviewers (Course Director, Head of Department) want to see. Pick the closest subjects they want to see where possible. Maths English and Biology (are what I would choose for a veterinary interview), I would choose Chemistry because it combines with Biology for BioChemistry but Physics is also a good choice. That only buys you a "hello" or an invite to an interview.

The Personal statement will be expanded on and fleshed out in the interview and they are more interested in how much you know and can you go steady for 4/5 years and what have you done to get there. What did you work at and where did you volunteer. These are the qualities they are looking at. They are also interested in what are your back up courses are. Are all the courses in a similar line or are they diverse.

You have to be realistic how many people are going for how many places? You have to be realistic if you dont get it and get your back up choices.

Hi, thanks for reply. I’ve been told on numerous occasions there is no mature entry for veterinary medicine. I try most years to see if any other entry has been opened similar to human medicine with no luck.

The only entry as far as I am aware is a) leaving cert with points required which means 6 subjects to get the points which currently are 570.

Or

b) graduate entry which is prohibitively expensive unfortunately as the yearly fees are huge €16,000 per annum

Please let me know if there is any other way as I’ve being hoping for years they’ll open up another route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Apologies for the near two year delay in replying......I did the full leaving because I wanted to study medicine. I couldn't do graduate entry because I'd only gotten a 2.2 in my undergraduate and all universities here require at least a 2.1. Although the university of Nottingham accept people with a 2.2 degree. Graduate entry to veterinary medicine seems like the way to go for you, I know the fees are a stumbling block though. You could work like a dog and save up the money, if you don't fancy getting a loan. Doing the leaving again is definitely an option though, but I'd pick a private college, such as Ashfield if I were you, the public schools that provide an adult leaving cert are not the best tbh. They're aimed at people who've never done the LC before such as foreign nationals. I went to a private college and it was great. I'm literally twice the age of everyone else in the class but nobody gave a shot, they were all too focused on their own studies to care what anyone else was doing. The cost was 7k for the full thing. Getting 570-600 pts is doable for sure you just gotta be willing to put the work in but if I were you I'd even go back to 5th year and do a two year program. This way you'll guarantee the best possible outcome for yourself.

Advertisement