Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings [Marvel]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder will Tim Roth lend his voice; one of those actors who had a fairly prominent career for a spell, then disappeared. Popped up in TV a couple of times, which is not the step down it used to be of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wonder will Tim Roth lend his voice; one of those actors who had a fairly prominent career for a spell, then disappeared. Popped up in TV a couple of times, which is not the step down it used to be of course.

I would be surprised if he doesn't given that he has been cast in She-Hulk. I wonder if that show will take place before or after Shang-Chi.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if he doesn't given that he has been cast in She-Hulk. I wonder if that show will take place before or after Shang-Chi.

Oh yeah, keep forgetting that show's happening. Was weirdly coy for ages about who would be lead, but seems to have ramped up of late. As you say weird if he didn't lend his voice, and voice work is probably something that can stay fairly remote now.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

pixelburp wrote: »
    You're not wrong, and my conscious brain is trying to do this; maybe if The Eternals and Shang-Chi's trailers left me a bit more energised I'd be more pumped in turn for Phase IV; but knowing now the Big Guns are back with Marvel (ie, the X-Men), trotting out these D Listers for the brand new "season" feels a bit underwhelming. Now, we've seen what the MCU has done with the lesser characters, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

I really hope they don’t incorporate the x-men into the marvel universe even though I know it’s inevitable. I’m not sure how you tell the story about discrimination against people with powers when non mutants with powers in the current movie universe don’t really get discriminated against. Also the x-men story has been told on screen, albeit often badly.

I am far far more interested in fantastic four and dr. Doom which I think will fit into the current and future phases quite nicely. Dr. Doom as the next big bad would be cool, though he needs some allies for a bit of variety

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Marvel dealt on a number of occasions with the every weirder discrimination of mutants when there were so many people with powers other than them. Inhumans too.

Think it's more of a job to tie them in to existing cannon if it's not multivers stuff rather than explain why people would have an issue potentially millions of random people gaining powers expecially teenagers compared to still limited arms race among at most a few thousand.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Box office projections are out for this and it doesnt look great $35m-$55m, will probably do a little better than suicide squad but looking like it will be a flop. Its not being streamed until a month and half after I think, also looking like wont be shown in china. Marvel will have to take the L on this and probably The Eternals too. Im sure the Delta variant will be used as an excuse but there just doesnt seem to be any buzz about the film

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

At this stage who can possibly say? It's new MCU on the big screen so I find those estimates a little over cautious. Black Widow did pretty well, especially for a parallel digital release - and it a mere prequel too.

This film is literally the first step in Phase IV, there is bound to be interest, even hype. If the film's crap it might drop like a stone through word of mouth but the estimates can't know that. And been a while since MCU had a total stinker.

The real question is when the big hitters of the X Men are coming. They were the prime IPs of the stable and the silence on their appearance has been curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shang Chi's performance will be interesting.

With Iron Man it was something pretty fresh which encouraged people to keep seeing more in the series but as we know there's pretty much Superhero fatigue at this point and a lot of people probably used Endgame as a jumping off point.

This is like watching a tv series where they're multiple seasons in and most of the original cast have left at once and they're bringing in new guys. Like Scrubs.

Then you have the pandemic. People will still be cautious and if going to the cinema they may want to just risk it for something they're familiar with.

We know it'll be available online 45 days after release and at this point people have been conditioned to watch films at home.

These are some factors to go against it and if it doesn't do well, I hope the studio sees those factors as the cause and not the fact that it's an Asian led film.

Not convinced the fatigue is real TBH, and certainly if this flopped it wouldn't be a trend til we saw a few phase 4 films underperform.

It's crazy to think where this started, speaking of Iron Man. Probably well known at this stage but Marvel bankrolled that film with a loan from Merrill Lynch, and 10 of the marvel IPs were used as collateral. Had Iron Man flopped, they would have lost all its remaining top tier IPs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I haven't been following the cases in the states but are we back to anywhere approaching a normal level of cinema attendance where we're considering any movie a legitimate flop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In terms of ticket sales, no, not even close. https://www.the-numbers.com/market/

The problem isn't the movies, it's lockdowns and lack of new films.

Slashfilm have an article about this film vilifying Disney and accusing them of experimenting with people's lives and jeopardising public safety for not releasing it simultaneously on VOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hadn't really seen much about how this was expected to perform bar something like Antman level.. then recently I think Grace pointed out that the Black Widow lawsuit might mean they'd be ok with letting this film sink to point to it as an example of MCU films generally not making money at the moment.

I dunno, I'm sure those in the lawsuit are just circling each other til a suitable dollar amount appears. Can't imagine marvel wanting a failure of its literal new phase, new generation in fact, of movies. The antman projections sound right though, had a look at they "only" made 500-600 million. Am so used to their mega successes in the team films, something that low feels quaint lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've no doubt there'll be (likely many) more Marvel hits in the future, but really is this new phase as much of a draw as what came before? There's no big team-up on the immediate horizon. There's a few big-name sequels later this year and next year, but also these unknown quantities kicking things off. 'Phase four' all seems a bit scattershot, at least until the films themselves start hinting at an actual direction of travel.

I mean, eventually we're going to get the X-Men or something to spice things up for the audience and build towards some big team-up, but Endgame was also a clear ending and exit ramp for many. It'll take a while to rebuild that sort of momentum, and Marvel have done the whole 'spend years building up to a big climax' thing so it'll be harder to make that seem fresh again.

But then again it'll be impossible to separate that side of things from the pandemic's impact on Shang-Chi. If it is a flop, it's certainly not going to be credible to go 'ahah, superhero fatigue!'. It's all too messy at the moment, making it impossible to judge what this first batch of new MCU films mean for the series' financial future.

Going against Shangchi is that its an obscure Marvel property nobody would know about it, toys are already in the clearance aisle though I dont know how important merch is for these films. This film was being set up to be as big as Black Panther a few months back lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I feel bad for anyone who thought that was possible. I had never seen a big-budget fantasy/comic book/James Bond-ish blockbuster with a nearly entirely black cast before Black Panther. Considering the demographics in US and the framing of Wakanka as a paradise, you could tell people were bursting to see it. For Shang Chi, we have an action movie with an Asian cast and martial arts scenes - something audiences in the West have been seeing since the 70s. Remove the MCU tag and this performs on par with Snake Eyes.

Im sure as a film it will be fine and even get good audience scores, it just wont be popular , this kind of property is best made for Disney Plus, as a series perhaps

I dunno: the MCU managed to take the then extremely obscure Guardians of the Galaxy - a series featuring a talking tree and racoon - and make it one of its most successful and beloved properties. I wouldn't ever bet against the success of a MCU. Admittedly, GotG likely turned heads precisely because of that outlandish setup - and its ear-worm soundtrack.

Shang-Chi comes across a little more formulaic than James Gunn's films but like I said, wouldn't bet against it being a success all the same.

the lead was trying to do a they have it in for us sthick, it certainly is an experiment though, release a $200m film with no fanfair , knowing it will be streamedable in a month and a half. Grace Randolfph seems to be bigging it up

https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1427744302340485122

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't know how you can call Phase 4 in any way comparatively more scattershot at this point - we've barely had a movie yet. We'd no idea what was coming during Phase 1 after the same number of movies. As for big names, we know we have X-Men, Fantastic 4, Blade all coming down the tracks, along with all of the sequels you mentioned.

I don't think it is a mistake that Marvel have chosen to go with some no-name properties first, it is pretty obvious they made the decision to do somewhat of a palate cleanse rather than trying to keep momentum from Endgame - trying to top that was just setting themselves up for failure, even prior to COVID. MCU is more like a TV series than any type of movie franchise we've ever seen. With a new season of a TV show you rarely try to match the momentum of the finale of the previous season.

Trying to build something that eventually matches Phase 1 - 3 might never be achieved, but the performance of their Disney+ TV content alone shows there is still a huge audience demand - whether it can be turned into movie going dollars in this new world is still up in the air.

For anyone curious what martial arts in the MCU might look like there's a clip out from one of the fights. It's not as heavily edited as i thought it might be; looks like the action might be allowed to speak for itself and not be chopped into oblivion.

The film looks cursed, also there seems to be some backlash to the film in China because they consider the actors to be too ugly, wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If I remember right Marvel lost the rights to use Fu Manchu in the last few years there license of the character ran out so they might not have been able to use him in the film anyway.

Fu Manchu was mentioned in Iron Man and one of the One Shots so Marvel haven't been shy with the character in the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

At this point I've seen trailers for both this and the Eternals - the latter, I actually want to see based on the trailer alone, but their selling of Shang-Chi fell way short for me, no interest in seeing it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

All Hail the King - One Shot has just been added to Disney+

Hopefully now we find out how Trevor is in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It will also help it is getting pretty brilliant reviews surely?...snake eyes not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Difficult to say. Audiences don't tend to show up to movies with tarnished IP, despite good reviews (The Suicide Squad most recently) and new IP is barely worth the bother for most studios.

What is clear is that Disney are definitely pushing the 'event' nature of this film by focusing on the identity of the actors and director, which was always the point (the film was fast-tracked a few months after Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians were huge hits, with Marvel specifically seeking a director of Asian ethnicity). It's a very specific marketing tactic but doesn't ring true imo here - I've seen Shang Chi described as the 'first Asian superhero movie' but Snake Eyes got there a month earlier. We can argue semantics on that but its very presence suggests Shang Chi isn't unique as Disney would wish to sell it. Also, if it's so groundbreaking, why is the protagonist seemingly sexless and stoic - a common criticism in depictions of Asian men in TV and film?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,830 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The suicide squad was clearly hit badly by the pandemic, also the fact it was available day and date in the US on HBO Max clearly hit box office there, in places like UK for example it's done decently.

Snake eyes definitely isn't a superhero though, trailers didn't really big up the stone thing from what I remember.

Disney will of course push what they think will get bums in seats no surprise.

Its a marvel film i would kind of expect the lead to be sexless and stoic...most of them are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement