Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conference Week

• 06-04-2021 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Maybe I'm on a different planet but hearing CK on radio, making no sense at all...So are unions really going to waste time this week, discussing teachers place in vaccine queue 7 weeks from end of term(second level).We'll all be vaccinated by Sept. Unions seem to like nothing better than balloting and threatening strike action but to what purpose and rarely seem articulate when pressed on issues in media interviews.......what about more important issues like fact that there are so many teachers on two different pay scales..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I’ve looked at the schedule and it’s not on it. I think someone is trying to get it added as an emergency motion... which will probably also waste a lot of discussion time.

I agree that there’s no way we will be vaccinated by the end of May, so let’s focus on being done by September.

I wonder is all of this noise a tactic to make sure we get the j&j vaccine and be done in one go? It could be a ‘compromise’ to give teachers, sna’s, childcare workers and Gardaí the one dose vaccine, so not slowing down vaccination by the change the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

itrip wrote: »
    what about more important issues like fact that there are so many teachers on two different pay scales..

Pay parity not even mentioned in the ASTI schedule...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

All the LPTs are TUI members, leave them deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Pay parity not even mentioned in the ASTI schedule...

What?

It's on the first page... under the many many motions for nqts and subs!!!

https://www.asti.ie/document-library/preliminary-agenda-for-convention-2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Treppen wrote: »
    What?

It's on the first page... under the many many motions for nqts and subs!!!

https://www.asti.ie/document-library/preliminary-agenda-for-convention-2021/

Just to add, it's behind Ann Piggott, Kieran Christie and speaker podium.

ASTI have never dropped equal work, equal pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Also, motion forwarded for casualisation of the career. Young teacher made a good point, 'we don't live a pro-rata life's

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I personally think the unions have made a mess of things this week. I just assumed all along that we wouldn’t have been vaccinated before the summer and we still won’t be under the new rollout.

I’m not quite sure what they are actually fighting for at this stage. For me, they should have just looked for assurances that we would all be vaccinated before returning in the new school year. There wasn’t a need to talk about strike etc. While I’m beyond caring what people think (people always find a way to give out about teachers due to the holidays) I think they’ve managed to made us look foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

Frankly, I find it insulting that they've had over a decade to do something about pay parity together and not once did they join up in strike action but this nonsense get all three unions as one...

Newbie20 wrote: »
    I personally think the unions have made a mess of things this week. I just assumed all along that we wouldn’t have been vaccinated before the summer and we still won’t be under the new rollout.

I’m not quite sure what they are actually fighting for at this stage. For me, they should have just looked for assurances that we would all be vaccinated before returning in the new school year. There wasn’t a need to talk about strike etc. While I’m beyond caring what people think (people always find a way to give out about teachers due to the holidays) I think they’ve managed to made us look foolish.

Well it's the members who brought forward the motion, not the senior Union leaders.

"For me, they should have just looked for assurances that we would all be vaccinated before returning in the new school year. ".

Teachers were already given assurances about vaccination but that just got thrown in the bin.
    But it's not like it's strike straight away, if 'new' assurances are sought and given then that's that, if assurances are not given then it'll be new school term before strike happens... and I can we'll see a scenario that the vaccination program will not meet targets.

Frankly, I find it insulting that they've had over a decade to do something about pay parity together and not once did they join up in strike action but this nonsense get all three unions as one...

It's just pay parity didn't hit primary teachers as much as secondary (relatively speaking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Treppen wrote: »
    It's just pay parity didn't hit primary teachers as much as secondary (relatively speaking)

More so to do with leadership's refusal to acknowledge it.

Advertisement