Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainbow Cup 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If they want to reduce scrums, maybe if they didn't start the clock until the ball had been put into the scrum it could prevent using the scrum for time wasting.

Another issue for time wasting in the game is people walking in to join the back of a ruck like a caterpillar to give the scrumhalf time and space to kick the ball.
    Adds time on to every kick from a ruck.
    The scrum half should have to pick the ball out of the ruck with his hands where it was left by the player on the ground and kick it as soon as he picks it, not be allowed roll it back with his heel, sometimes a few metres to get a better kick and waste more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If they want to reduce scrums, maybe if they didn't start the clock until the ball had been put into the scrum it could prevent using the scrum for time wasting.

Another issue for time wasting in the game is people walking in to join the back of a scrum like a caterpillar to give the scrumhalf time and space to kick the ball.
    The scrum half should have to pick the ball out of the ruck with his hands where it was left by the player on the ground and kick it as soon as he picks it, not be allowed roll it back with his heel, sometimes a few metres to get a better kick and waste more time.

Scrums really aren’t being used for time wasting that much.

Put it this way. If you’re a team trying to waste time, how do you initiate a scrum?

The issue with scrum halves taking too long at the base of the ruck should be policed better by refs who already have the ability to do that but aren’t doing so very strictly. The suggestion of not adjusting the ball is a non-runner but if refs call it quicker and actually enforce 5 seconds strictly it’d help a bit. Don’t think it’s a huge problem though. Neither of these new rules are there with the intention of affecting time wasting afaik.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there should be some sanction against refs who are caught calling "use it" twice at the base of a ruck... drives me mad !

also, when a ref calls "use it" at the base of a scrum its supposed to be used immediately... but more often than not i see SHs think they have 5 seconds and wait for the play to develop.

Scrums really aren’t being used for time wasting that much.

Put it this way. If you’re a team trying to waste time, how do you initiate a scrum?

The issue with scrum halves taking too long at the base of the ruck should be policed better by refs who already have the ability to do that but aren’t doing so very strictly. The suggestion of not adjusting the ball is a non-runner but if refs call it quicker and actually enforce 5 seconds strictly it’d help a bit. Don’t think it’s a huge problem though. Neither of these new rules are there with the intention of affecting time wasting afaik.

The set up time for scrums on resets are definitely used for time-wasting though, the clock should stop every time a scrum stops. Also you can't start a scrum as you say intentionally, but if given the chance you can definitely drag it out.
    I also think the clock should be stopped from when the ball crosses the touchline and is thrown back into play, but that is asking a lot of the time keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It doesn't change the fact that rugby is an entertainment business and a traditional red card can ruin games. It's worth trialling.

It doesnt take into account a team can be rewarded for foul play then. Red cards dont ruin games. A red card is a punishment and a deterrent for serious foul play. Allowing a replacement totally reduces the deterrent for foul play for teams during the game.
    I think the drop out rule is a positive change. At the moment you can effectively use being held up as a form of attacking exit because you get a 5 meter scrum from it which is very often a better attacking platform than where you started from. A really good example was the second time Leinster got held up last weekend, that carry would not happen that way if this law was in place.

Now we’ll see teams having to start again from between the 22 and 10 meter line. That should reduce the amount of those kinds of situations.

Very good point about better attacking platform. Just getting over the line means you get a 5m scrum which gives you a set pattern to attack from...

Another issue for time wasting in the game is people walking in to join the back of a scrum like a caterpillar to give the scrumhalf time and space to kick the ball.
    Game goes on too long as it is. Stopping clock during scrum isnt a good thing.

I assume you mean caterpillar from rucks not scrums?
    I dont agree with scrum half having to pick ball out of ruck from where it was left by player on ground as it allows defensive players up to make hit earlier and causes issues there with just more likelihood of another ruck fromed right beside first ruck.

• Advertisement

It doesnt take into account a team can be rewarded for foul play then. Red cards dont ruin games. A red card is a punishment and a deterrent for serious foul play. Allowing a replacement totally reduces the deterrent for foul play for teams during the game.

Very good point about better attacking platform. Just getting over the line means you get a 5m scrum which gives you a set pattern to attack from...

Game goes on too long as it is. Stopping clock during scrum isnt a good thing.

I assume you mean caterpillar from rucks not scrums?
    I dont agree with scrum half having to pick ball out of ruck from where it was left by player on ground as it allows defensive players up to make hit earlier and causes issues there with just more likelihood of another ruck fromed right beside first ruck.

YEs, rucks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there should be some sanction against refs who are caught calling "use it" twice at the base of a ruck... drives me mad !

also, when a ref calls "use it" at the base of a scrum its supposed to be used immediately... but more often than not i see SHs think they have 5 seconds and wait for the play to develop.

Oh yes! Annoys me so much. If refs stopped saying "Use it!" and started giving free kicks instead it would improve things.

In my view there's far too much coaching by referees. Telling players to stop running etc when offside. Just leads to players chancing their arm knowing well the referee will tell them to stop if they are caught.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Oh yes! Annoys me so much. If refs stopped saying "Use it!" and started giving free kicks instead it would improve things.

In my view there's far too much coaching by referees. Telling players to stop running etc when offside. Just leads to players chancing their arm knowing well the referee will tell them to stop if they are caught.
    That isnt coaching. Its preventative refereeing. We need it to keep the ball in play. Otherwise you have to sanction it with a penalty/free kick and we should be reducing how much the whistle is blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It doesn't change the fact that rugby is an entertainment business and a traditional red card can ruin games. It's worth trialling.

I'd like to see differentiation between an act of deliberate violence or thuggery and a mistimed tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That isnt coaching. Its preventative refereeing. We need it to keep the ball in play. Otherwise you have to sanction it with a penalty/free kick and we should be reducing how much the whistle is blown.

Players would soon change.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,988 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the "use it" call has a very significant purpose and its a great tool for a ref to have... however if a ref finds himself calling "use it" a second time at the same ruck then something is very wrong.

i noticed Luke Peace this weekend calling 'use it'... and two seconds later would call "3" to notify the SH that he was counting.... it was an interesting development.

personally id prefer a few more to be caught not using it strictly within the 5 seconds to concentrate and pressurise them more.... and off scrum once 'use it' is called the ball should be picked up immediately.. absolutely no lee way there

Players would soon change.
    They wont with everything. You cant just referee with sanctions. you must allow continuity of play and not have the ref blowing everything otherwise the ref plays even more of a role in the game that they dont need to.

They wont with everything. You cant just referee with sanctions. you must allow continuity of play and not have the ref blowing everything otherwise the ref plays even more of a role in the game that they dont need to.

This is absolutely true. I really don’t think this is a major issue and when it becomes one it can be “reinforced”

We’re talking one or two seconds per box kick if referees became stricter. Maybe 30-60 seconds per match at worst.

It looks worse because of an odd peculiarity with space time caused by a part of the brain called Shattner’s Bassoon which actually means that time seems to last longer when your team is losing and they don’t have the ball.

It’s a very similar phenomenon to how light actually bends to make fans think the opposition are offside on every phase, causing bizarre involuntary screaming at rugby matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The set up time for scrums on resets are definitely used for time-wasting though, the clock should stop every time a scrum stops. Also you can't start a scrum as you say intentionally, but if given the chance you can definitely drag it out.
    I also think the clock should be stopped from when the ball crosses the touchline and is thrown back into play, but that is asking a lot of the time keeper.

I think you need to factor in that the players are not machines. These forwards are huge units and, regardless of being professional athletes, need a few seconds to actually catch their breath.

Scrums in particular are exhausting. There are very few players who don't want to take a few seconds to compose themselves before having to get into a wrestling match against 900kg worth of opposition forwards.

We can stop the clock when the ball goes out but player welfare needs to come into account. The ball is in play for approximately 35-40 minutes in most rugby games currently. Players are going to struggle if that goes up significantly.

Buer wrote: »
    I think you need to factor in that the players are not machines. These forwards are huge units and, regardless of being professional athletes, need a few seconds to actually catch their breath.

Scrums in particular are exhausting. There are very few players who don't want to take a few seconds to compose themselves before having to get into a wrestling match against 900kg worth of opposition forwards.

We can stop the clock when the ball goes out but player welfare needs to come into account. The ball is in play for approximately 35-40 minutes in most rugby games currently. Players are going to struggle if that goes up significantly.

Also how are you going to automatically stop the clock? Is the ref going to do that? What if the ref didn’t notice at first and we have to go back, do they have to adjust the clock now? What if there’s a quick line out while time is off? What technology will be involved in that? If you want to try do it automatically how is that going to work at amateur level?

It’s not feasible even if it would make a positive difference (which I don’t think it would).

Time wasting really isn’t that much of a problem and the time the ball is out of play certainly doesn’t seem a major issue to me.

Time wasting really isn’t that much of a problem and the time the ball is out of play certainly doesn’t seem a major issue to me.

It's not really a massive issue. There are occasions where a team goes out to deliberately slow down a game such as the France vs Scotland game on Friday. But the referee picked up on that relatively early and raised it with Scotland as being too slow to scrums and line outs. Once the officials are smart enough that teams might look to deliberately slow down a game, they'll raise it as an issue.

The biggest issue in the game at the moment is the complete lottery around rucks.
    Players constantly leaning on their hands, two or three guys on their knees at every ruck,
    To a spectator, it's impossible to understand the sealing off, off the feet, over the top, not taking own weight, coming in at the side, taking out players not in the ruck or way beyond the ruck, holding on to players on the ground, not rolling away from the ruck when lying on the ground etc as it's at every ruck.
    The Munster Leinster game was ridiculous, Fardy for example (just one person I noticed, many other too) broke every rule in the game at the rucks repeatedly throughout the game and was left do whatever he wanted, the ref seemed to just say, sure I'm not getting too involved in rucks today, do what you like.
    Fair play to the players figuring out what they can get away with, but if the refs could tighten up on the basics of rucks then it would make the game easier to follow and better for the spectator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

errlloyd wrote: »
    I also think it's really weird how red cards exist on a sliding scale of severity. The difference between POM committing a red card foul in the first quarter against Wales, and Russell committing a red card foul in the final ten against France is HUGE. Because the "onfield" punishment, is such a high proportion of the deterrent, I think it is disproportionate how it falls right now.

Looking at the red card as it stands now, I can't see a different way of implementing it and it is similar to how it is implemented in different sports.

For example, in match 1, Player A punches Player B at 7:30 and his team has to play the rest of the match a player down. In match 2 Player C punches player D at 79:30 and gets sent off, the punishment is still the same - their team gets to play the rest of the match with one less player and a citing follows.

Should there be some kind of retrospective action that somehow the actions of player A and player Cshould be removed from the entire game? I don't see how you can reapportion it without a point penalty against Player A's team and Player C's team. Or maybe I am misunderstanding where you are coming from.

On the 20 minute trial I think a three level card system could be used. Yellow as it stands, <Colour 3> for a 20 minute sin bin with replacement and Red for rest of match. The red is used for obvious dangerous play/foul play like punching, kicking, slide tackling. The 20 minute sin bin with replacement is for more 'accidental' incidents. Now, I have no idea where these lines are drawn so don't ask for more specifics ;)

Looking at the red card as it stands now, I can't see a different way of implementing it and it is similar to how it is implemented in different sports.

For example, in match 1, Player A punches Player B at 7:30 and his team has to play the rest of the match a player down. In match 2 Player C punches player D at 79:30 and gets sent off, the punishment is still the same - their team gets to play the rest of the match with one less player and a citing follows.

Should there be some kind of retrospective action that somehow the actions of player A and player Cshould be removed from the entire game? I don't see how you can reapportion it without a point penalty against Player A's team and Player C's team. Or maybe I am misunderstanding where you are coming from.

On the 20 minute trial I think a three level card system could be used. Yellow as it stands, <Colour 3> for a 20 minute sin bin with replacement and Red for rest of match. The red is used for obvious dangerous play/foul play like punching, kicking, slide tackling. The 20 minute sin bin with replacement is for more 'accidental' incidents. Now, I have no idea where these lines are drawn so don't ask for more specifics ;)

I think a 5 point penalty for yellow card, and a 10 point penalty for a red card, and 10 minutes sin bin for both, and red carded player gets replaced by a sub after 10 minutes maybe?
    Could help clean up the game a bit, although maybe need to specifically target these measures at violent play as opposed to technical penalties or repeated penalties and a team yellow for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If they want to improve the quality of the spectacle, how about they trial officials actually refereeing the offside line correctly? Maybe a bit outlandish.

• Advertisement

I think a 5 point penalty for yellow card, and a 10 point penalty for a red card, and 10 minutes sin bin for both, and red carded player gets replaced by a sub after 10 minutes maybe?
    Could help clean up the game a bit, although maybe need to specifically target these measures at violent play as opposed to technical penalties or repeated penalties and a team yellow for example.
    God no. That just isnt good. A red card shouldnt be equal to a yellow in terms of punishment.
    A points penalty isnt fair or right at all for cards. It wouldnt clean the game up and isnt fair on teams

God no. That just isnt good. A red card shouldnt be equal to a yellow in terms of punishment.
    A points penalty isnt fair or right at all for cards. It wouldnt clean the game up and isnt fair on teams

A red card can ruin a game for spectators, so that's why the suggestion of a ten minute delay before a substitute being allowed replace the red carded player.

The red card should punish the individual by not being allowed back on the field, and followed up with a ban.

It should also impact the team though so a team cannot benefit from targeting a player and taking them out with a dangerous tackle, so the best balance I can think of is to award penalty points against the team that got the red card while allowing a replacement after 10 minutes so the match can continue on with 15 a side.

It covers the situations mentioned where a player gets red carded at the end of a match, and it allows a team to compete 15 v 15 if a player got red carded early in the match.

A red card can ruin a game for spectators, so that's why the suggestion of a ten minute delay before a substitute being allowed replace the red carded player.

The red card should punish the individual by not being allowed back on the field, and followed up with a ban.

It should also impact the team though so a team cannot benefit from targeting a player and taking them out with a dangerous tackle, so the best balance I can think of is to award penalty points against the team that got the red card while allowing a replacement after 10 minutes so the match can continue on with 15 a side.

It covers the situations mentioned where a player gets red carded at the end of a match, and it allows a team to compete 15 v 15 if a player got red carded early in the match.

A red card is a serious punishment for serious foul play, intentional or not and that shouldnt be excused by allowing a team not be punished appropriately. returning to 15 players after 20 minutes is not at all suitable. It diminishes the punishment.
    A red card doesnt ruin a game. A game is very different because of a red card

A change could make players more likely to commit offences knowing that the team will only be down one for slightly longer than a yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bridge93 wrote: »
    If they want to improve the quality of the spectacle, how about they trial officials actually refereeing the offside line correctly? Maybe a bit outlandish.

Automatic YC after 5/3/3/3/3 penalties including advantages

Foul play dealt with separately but the Penalty counts towards the tally

Ref calls use it and no more players can join the caterpillar to protect the 9

Depower defences goes a long way towards creating space

It has been reported in the SA media also. Disaster for Leinster and Ulster who need some game time desperately.

I imagine the competition will take place in some manner minus the SA sides.

Buer wrote: »
    It has been reported in the SA media also. Disaster for Leinster and Ulster who need some game time desperately.

I imagine the competition will take place in some manner minus the SA sides.

Inter pro series.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Better to be optimistic but with the current global "situation", pessimism seems to be a safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Always seemed fairly ambitious trying it this years of a years. Might not be a bad thing if it leads to less games and more of a break for players but guess there would have been a lot of rotation for it either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Someone posted this on planet rugby about a week ago, they used to work for the IRFU in some capacity I'm pretty sure so had been reliable in the past.

Advertisement