Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainbow Cup 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Worth saying again: This farce of a competition is paying the provinces EUR 500,000 each from the coffers of the South Africans. That money pays for quite a few contract extensions that would have caused much more consternation had they not been completed.

It also gave an opportunity for teams like Benetton and Glasgow to reset after it was clear their Pro14 season was over after 5-6 games.

Funnily enough most of the teams have been far closer to full strength during this tournament than the regular season too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AdamD wrote: »
    Funnily enough most of the teams have been far closer to full strength during this tournament than the regular season too

It helps that there was no international window going on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

Worth saying again: This farce of a competition is paying the provinces EUR 500,000 each from the coffers of the South Africans. That money pays for quite a few contract extensions that would have caused much more consternation had they not been completed.

It also gave an opportunity for teams like Benetton and Glasgow to reset after it was clear their Pro14 season was over after 5-6 games.

This 100%

Fans can have any view they like of any competition but in a year where TV money was the main source of revenue for clubs the Rainbow Cup was manna from heaven for them. You can see why the respective Unions cut the League short to allow the SA teams into the new competition.

This is a win win for the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭bluedex

aloooof wrote: »
    Not entirely true. Munster were excellent against a decent Ulster team, iirc. That’s a large part of why the mistakes against Connacht were so disappointing, off the back of it.

Ulster had a pack of Warwick, Andrew, O'Toole; O'Connor, Henderson; Murphy Rea, MacCann. They had Lowry at 10 and an out of form Mathewson at 9, McIlroy and Little on the wings. So, not a great lineup. Addison got a red in the first half.
    Put all that together with an away game against a full strength Munster team and nothing to play for, in all likelihood, and you would completely expect the resulting scoreline. The Connacht game was an accident waiting to happen.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Akrasia wrote: »

Well that sucks
    Benetton get through to a final by beating 3 teams

And if Leinster had beaten La Rochelle, then they'd have got through to the Champions' Cup Final by beating 3 teams on the pitch (and one in the committee room!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭bluedex

And if Leinster had beaten La Rochelle, then they'd have got through to the Champions' Cup Final by beating 3 teams.

Pedant alert:
    4 actually

But, totally agree, your point still stands. It's been a crazy season and a half, hopefully normality returns next season. It's just been good having sport and rugby to watch!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yep. I've had absolutely zero interest in the Rainbow Cup. Couldn't care less about it. But the reasons for its existance are clear and can't be argued with. This season was always going to be a mess anyway and the league had become a complete farce too, so it's not like the alternative (which would have provided far less money) would have been any better. Everyone needs that money badly and we'll all be happier for it, even if we don't realise it, come next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Also - Northern Italy has had a pretty **** few 18 months or so. And Bennetton are a good bunch of lads.

This whole thing is probably an inexpensive way for the blazers in Pro14 HQ to learn about the perils of unbalanced conferences. It will be a bit embarrassing for the first proper NH v SH Super Franchise game to be an absolutely hammering - but we used to smash the kings week in week out for fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

errlloyd wrote: »
    Also - Northern Italy has had a pretty **** few 18 months or so. And Bennetton are a good bunch of lads.

This whole thing is probably an inexpensive way for the blazers in Pro14 HQ to learn about the perils of unbalanced conferences. It will be a bit embarrassing for the first proper NH v SH Super Franchise game to be an absolutely hammering - but we used to smash the kings week in week out for fun too.

Whichever SA side makes it won't have their Springboks. Think this would balance it out. Can see it being a tight game

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭VayNiice

I wonder would the same people be calling it a farce of a competition if Munster had made it to the final?

I'm delighted for the Italians. You can only play what's in front of you so they deserve to be in this final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Some probably even more vocally :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

VayNiice wrote: »
    I wonder would the same people be calling it a farce of a competition if Munster had made it to the final?

I'm delighted for the Italians. You can only play what's in front of you so they deserve to be in this final.

In all honesty most have been calling it a farce since its inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

OldRio wrote: »
    In all honesty most have been calling it a farce since its inception.

I'm not saying the Rainbow Cup wasn't a farce but the Pro14 was also a farce and if you look back at the season thread from 4-5 weeks in we were all saying it.

In isolation, the RC from a sporting pov was not good but there seems to be some short memories on here on how uncompetitive the Pro14 was.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im actually happy they cut the Pro14 short for the rainbow cup

the pro14 this season was a disgrace. The Irish teams scored more and conceded less than the other 8 teams combined. it simply wasnt a competitive competition.
    at least with the rainbow cup there was still, what, 4 teams which could have reached the NH spot going into the last round... and 2 of the 4 bokke sides topping the SA conference going into their last round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Roll on next season is all I can say, but not before provincial rugby is put in the deep freeze for a couple of months. There's been too much of it and very little variety. It's been too much like Groundhog Day this season (much like life in general). The powers that be have done the best they can, we play in international tournaments and which isn't easy in the midst of a global pandemic. It also hasn't helped that the sport is becoming unwatchable with stoppages even five minutes while the officials run over to a small TV monitor to review if something vaguely illegal has happened or not. Keith Wood made a good point on OTB this morning that next season spectators in the grounds will not tolerate that....expect lots of slow handclaps!

Hopefully the Lions tour brings a bit of enjoyment and something original to our screens and even the two Ireland matches as well. Then there's the Rugby Championship (what channel will it be on?). So lots to look forward to, but please...no more endless provincial matches against the same teams week after week in competitions made up on the fly, where teams play other teams at random...not until the Autumn anyway.

Good luck to Benetton in the final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Absolutely spot on post. My views exactly. Rainbow Cup well intentioned as it may have been has been a bit farcical and I stopped watching matches live a couple of weeks into the competition. Youtube highlights have been sufficient.
    Roll on the Lions.

The RC was due to have 42 Pool games with teams from 5 countries, 13 games were scheduled between teams from different countries yet only two were cancelled due to Covid. It brought in much needed funds to the club yet the competition seems to be getting a lot of unwarranted flak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

phog wrote: »
    The RC was due to have 42 Pool games with teams from 5 countries, 13 games were scheduled between teams from different countries yet only two were cancelled due to Covid. It brought in much needed funds to the club yet the competition seems to be getting a lot of unwarranted flak.

It was a makey uppy competition that had its first round the week before European SFs which in itself damaged the tournament as both Leinster and Ulster fielded weakened teams. With so few games most teams were out of it after 1 or 2 rounds because it was clear they weren't going to catch teams that won both of their games. So that meant a lot of dead rubbers. It was dominated by local derbies, something we've all seen more than enough of already this season so was just more of the same for the most part. We were geared up to see SA teams playing against P14 teams. That didn't happen.

Theres loads of reasons why the tournament was crap from a spectator perspective. I think the tournament was the right idea, but I also think it was completely s**t, pointless and uninteresting. It wasn't there for supporters, but that's okay. We'll all be better off for it next season so that makes it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

I've enjoyed it. Yeah I'm a little tired of the interpros but theres been some quality games.

Mun V Blues
    Mun v Con
    Lein V Glasgow
    Ben V Con

All very entertaining games that were hard to call.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It was just an unwanted extension of an incredibly dull Pro14 IMO.

I think I watched 1 game. Can't even remember what it was.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    It was a makey uppy competition that had its first round the week before European SFs which in itself damaged the tournament as both Leinster and Ulster fielded weakened teams. With so few games most teams were out of it after 1 or 2 rounds because it was clear they weren't going to catch teams that won both of their games. So that meant a lot of dead rubbers. It was dominated by local derbies, something we've all seen more than enough of already this season so was just more of the same for the most part. We were geared up to see SA teams playing against P14 teams. That didn't happen.

Theres loads of reasons why the tournament was crap from a spectator perspective. I think the tournament was the right idea, but I also think it was completely s**t, pointless and uninteresting. It wasn't there for supporters, but that's okay. We'll all be better off for it next season so that makes it worthwhile.

Obviously it was a makey up competition, it was to get the SA into a competition that they couldn't do with the Pro14. The RC was based on the Pro14 so we were always going to have more local derbies again, I think I read the IRFU wanted the InterPros to be kept in the format.

Was the RC any more crap than what was served up as the Pro14 this year - just look at the final pool tables the 4 Irish provinces miles out ahead of the rest and that after we played each other twice.

I really don't know what people expected from the RC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think a lot of people decided at the start it was going to be a terrible tournament.

However I've enjoyed it. There's been some exciting games that could have went either way. We haven't seen any complete demolitions. Benneton have topped the Northern league, its annoying the way it finished but they were 4 from 4.

The pro14 itself was a worse league this year with the irish teams dominating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

awec wrote: »
    It was just an unwanted extension of an incredibly dull Pro14 IMO.

I think I watched 1 game. Can't even remember what it was.

If you haven't watched it I'll take your opinions on it with a pinch of salt.

People bitched and moaned about the PRO14 being long and boring. They cut it short and added in the Saffa teams (a pretty speculative punt) thinking they could spice things up. Teams lost out of playoff spots and the saffa thing fell through due to covid. BUT teams got much needed revenue, and many of those who actually watched it found there were some decent games played at high intensity. But People still not happy.

A lot of people just don't like the pro14 full stop, but those who do seem to have enjoyed it more of recent. The final will be an interesting watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Obviously it was a makey up competition, it was to get the SA into a competition that they couldn't do with the Pro14. The RC was based on the Pro14 so we were always going to have more local derbies again, I think I read the IRFU wanted the InterPros to be kept in the format.

Was the RC any more crap than what was served up as the Pro14 this year - just look at the final pool tables the 4 Irish provinces miles out ahead of the rest and that after we played each other twice.

I really don't know what people expected from the RC.

The original expectation was for cross hemisphere games. Once that didn't happen, any interest died. It was an ambitious proposal and Covid ruined it.

Thankfully, we still got the money from SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

bilston wrote: »
    while the officials run over to a small TV monitor to review

this!

can't understand why its been done this way. either show it on the large screen in the stadium (im presuming all the stadia used have them) or else just let the tmo make the decision. the jogging back and forth by the refs is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

this!

can't understand why its been done this way. either show it on the large screen in the stadium (im presuming all the stadia used have them) or else just let the tmo make the decision. the jogging back and forth by the refs is a joke

Evidently they don't.

They probably hired by the hosts for home games, but only when there are attendances in the ground.

Agree that it's nonsensical to see refs jogging maybe 70 metres to stare into a small monitor while trying to block the glare from floodlights or sun. Very amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Evidently they don't.

They probably hired by the hosts for home games, but only when there are attendances in the ground.

Agree that it's nonsensical to see refs jogging maybe 70 metres to stare into a small monitor while trying to block the glare from floodlights or sun. Very amateurish.

this makes a bit more sense so. ill admit ive only been following the munster games and i always presumed the screen was a permanent fixture but on further inspection it seems like its a temporary one. suppose the current situation makes sense so but it seems like a bit of a bodge job all the same

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This Gerry Thornley article this morning is worth a read, and unusually he’s not pulling any punches either:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/round-of-dead-rubbers-a-fitting-finale-for-rainbow-cup-1.4588929?mode=amp

For me, the Rainbow Cup was a tournament with some great individual games, especially the first few weeks of Interpros (Leinster v Munster an unfortunate exception). And of course the money the SA teams brought cannot be sniffed at. But the problem was it’s integrity as a sporting competition. The rules of the tournament were changed twice, mid way through the competition, first when it became clear the SA teams wouldn’t be travelling and then when it was decided to hold a final in Treviso after all. No one knew what they were playing for or what would determine qualification for the final. Teams were playing schedules that were most definitely not equal. Now you can lay a large blame for that on the door of Covid, which is fair enough, but you can’t blame the public for not buying in. Even the eir Sport presenters were not selling it well (that may have much to do with the fact that the channel is essentially finished with the final being their very last studio broadcast).

Compare with Super Rugby Trans-Tasman, a similar five round competition with five teams of ten still in contention going into round 5. Now while there’s a lesson in uneven competition (in terms of NZ v Aus teams), there should never be a case where a round robin competition that short results in a final round consisting solely of dead rubbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

this!

If you dont need the big screen then why have the costs of it open for the day when its not going to be used bar when the Ref/TMO interact....
    this makes a bit more sense so. ill admit ive only been following the munster games and i always presumed the screen was a permanent fixture but on further inspection it seems like its a temporary one. suppose the current situation makes sense so but it seems like a bit of a bodge job all the same
    In most grounds the big screens are temporary so it would be big waste of money to have them when no crowds in
    Dont see how its a "bodge job"...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The money may have been welcome in the short term but the Pro14 should not underestimate the damage that can be done to an already weak brand by the sort of half-baked nonsense we saw in the RC, and that can cost them in the long run.

Advertisement