Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champions Cup 2020/2021 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A lot of away wins this weekend so far.

Which means a lot of teams are going to phone it in from here.

Edit: Gloucester have already decided they don't care by naming a weakened side going to Lyon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Burkie1203 wrote: »

I think the dragons would have won today if they could pick their preferred team. Wasps were poor and they left on their tighthead despite him having a mare and getting a yellow card because they had nobody they could bring on to replace him

Edinburgh v La Rochelle is already shaping up to be a great match

Absolutely frenetic, this is being played at 6 nations speed and intensity

I like the way Luke Pearse is reffing this so far

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Akrasia wrote: »
    Absolutely frenetic, this is being played at 6 nations speed and intensity

I like the way Luke Pearse is reffing this so far

Saw a chunk of it, but have had to turn it off. Found it a frantic and very messy game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Started off brilliantly but has descended into an error strewn mess. It's a standard Edinburgh home game. La Rochelle should be 20 points ahead. The first time that Edinburgh made it into the opposition 22 was the 35th minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Liberty Stadium pitch is an absolute mess

Buer wrote: »
    Started off brilliantly but has descended into an error strewn mess. It's a standard Edinburgh home game. La Rochelle should be 20 points ahead. The first time that Edinburgh made it into the opposition 22 was the 35th minute.

That try almost typified the game. Bit of a kick to nothing. La Rochelle FB should have taken it handy enough. Completely missed it for the Edinburgh score. Then Edinburgh miss a handy conversion to take it to a 3 point game.

Edinburgh have been stubborn in defence. I think that's about as positive as I can be about this....

Hahaha, ROGs reaction is me for most of what I've seen.

"Oh God!"

molloyjh wrote: »
    Hahaha, ROGs reaction is me for most of what I've seen.

"Oh God!"

That was fantastic. "We'll leave you there, Ronan".

This game is brutal now. One of, if not the worst of the weekend. A more competent side would be playing for a BP win against Edinburgh.

• Advertisement

Toolis was far too quick to go to ground there. Get some good front foot ffs. Really poor game overall no matter how BT are trying to sell it.

I don't think the referee should have coached LR there. Explained to them what they needed to do i. e. tap before kicking if they wanted to end the game or kick direct to touch if they wanted to continue.

The players should know the rules. If they mess up then it's their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Four French teams were away from home and they all won. Strange times!

Buer wrote: »
    That was fantastic. "We'll leave you there, Ronan".

This game is brutal now. One of, if not the worst of the weekend. A more competent side would be playing for a BP win against Edinburgh.

La Rochelle are the current leaders of the top 14
    you can't say they're incompetent

It did descend into a bit of an anarchic mess after a promising opening, La Rochelle would have been out of sight if they didn't miss so many open goals

You can't accuse either team of not trying hard enough, there was very little left behind on the pitch.

The french have dominated the opening weekend. I can't see Connacht or Glasgow winning tomorrow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

It did descend into a bit of an anarchic mess after a promising opening, La Rochelle would have been out of sight if they didn't miss so many open goals

You can't accuse either team of not trying hard enough, there was very little left behind on the pitch.

The french have dominated the opening weekend. I can't see Connacht or Glasgow winning tomorrow either.

Glasgow aren't playing a French side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hoping Connacht keep up the winning away pattern and Quins don't!

He wasn't talking about effort. By competent he means that they actually convert their clear dominance. They were great at getting themselves into good positions and even better at shooting themselves in the foot. That display wouldn't be enough to worry any of the big sides in this competition. There was a TBP there for the taking and they left it behind. Not only that, but they also put themselves into a position where they could have actually lost it by giving Edinburgh that 5m line out.

Exactly. If it wasn't for a shocking attempt to field a kick, Edinburgh would have won. La Rochelle are a fine team at home but there isn't a pro side in Europe that would be worried by that display.

I liked both coaches interviews. ROG was very honest and Cockerill talked about not throwing in the towel. Both have the right kind of attitude. You don't build winning cultures by accepting losses in advance or being happy with sub-par performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Pro 14 : 5-1-2
    Top 14: 6-1-5
    Premiership: 2-0-5

Win/draw/loss breakdown by league, im pleasantly suprised by the pro 14 really holding our own so far despite how poor the league was looking with the internationals missing.

Im counting champions and challange Cup here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Everyone in Pool A has played now and predictably you are able to predict quite a lot from here on with a lot of teams who have lost likely not going to bother from here. Can't say anyone other than Leinster overly impressed, but this pool does look weaker.

Leinster are bound to win remaining games and most likely top pool with 20 points.

La Rochelle play Bath (who lost at home to Scarlets) twice then Edinburgh at home, who will also likely be out, so most likely get 4 wins.

Bordeaux have Dragons twice and Northampton reserves, so 4 wins for them.

Wasps have Montpellier twice who probably won't fancy their chances of winning both games then winning in Dublin, so 4 wins for them also.
    That's 4 teams very likely to finish with 4 wins

Toulon and Scarlets can also finish on 4 wins. It's hard to see Scarlets winning away in France but they could overturn them next Friday which would effectively knock Toulon out. Toulon win both and it's 5 teams on 4 wins and it comes down to BP's and so on.

Unfortunately not many big encounters in this pool apart from Scarlets V Toulon. Qualification will probably go down to last round but from now on it will mostly be about thrashing rotated teams and maximising BP/PD.

At least Pool B looks stronger and will have some big teams colliding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gloucester are woeful. Lyon could rattle up a score easily. It’s a question of how much they want, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I turned this match on 5 minutes ago and have seen 3 tries in that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Some of the hands from Lyon are sensational...

4 tries in less than 10 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lyon aren’t even building pressure on the Gloucester line, every strike play is coming off for them once they get into the Gloucester half.

Though they scored a nice try themselves to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

What’s the story here have Gloucester sent the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

What’s the story here have Gloucester sent the kids?

and a few of the kids’ unathletic cousins.

Some of these tries are like what you see in Rugby 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Lyon are doing bad things to Gloucester.

• Advertisement

They've released the highlights of the Lyon Gloucester match early

Advertisement