Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Future of Halfords, Kilkenny?

• 18-08-2020 7:52am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happened to drop into Halfords yesterday to pick stuff up and couldn't get over just how empty the place was.

I know there's a surge on camping stuff and sales of bikes so that certainly explains how empty those areas were, but I couldn't get over the sheer lack of stock on all the other shelfs.

I'm hoping perhaps they are just having stock supply issues but if not I'd be worried if I was working there.

I see they recently announced plans for store closures, but nothing about Ireland
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/13/halfords-to-close-60-sites-despite-rise-in-bike-sales-in-lockdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

While they are having trouble in the UK with competition from Decathlon etc, their Irish stores remain profitable, making any closures unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yea was in it a few weeks ago and did notice the stick levels very low. Also their systems were down and could only take cash! I got the impression they’d probably skimped to the minimum during lockdown and had made little effort to get everything up and running properly on re opening. I doubt they pay their staff that well

road_high wrote: »
    Yea was in it a few weeks ago and did notice the stick levels very low. Also their systems were down and could only take cash! I got the impression they’d probably skimped to the minimum during lockdown and had made little effort to get everything up and running properly on re opening. I doubt they pay their staff that well

Stock was diverted/transferred during lockdown from those stores that had stock but weren't open, to those that were open and trading.
    The Irish Halfords were locked down longer than the UK ones and the Irish ones also reopened in 2 tranches.
    Not sure if Kilkenny was in the 1st or 2nd tranche here.
    Supply chains were severely disrupted for a number of months and the supply of some items like bicycles still haven't caught up with demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

It looks like it's closing down from the stock levels they're holding. No bikes in place.

I thought after 2 weeks of opening they would have more stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Was in Halfords KK this morning and the girl on the desk said they’re closing on the 12th March. I’ll be sad to see them go. Not always the cheapest but were handy for picking up all sorts of stuff if you were stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

If They could help you they would brexit the pandemic is after bringing big changes to retail.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sad to see it go, I'd imagine Brexit was a bigger impact to them as it would have screwed up their stock supply and massively increased costs. Margins are already thin.

They may have lasted the pandemic otherwise perhaps

Really sorry to see this. It's always sad to see a local shop closing. They never carried a great range of gear or bikes though. I always checked there first, but mostly ended up going to Dublin to the likes of Cycle Superstore or going online to Wiggle or Chain Reaction for stuff. Tough for the staff, they were very helpful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Yes, it's official. I just got an email off them that they are moving to a new address. One problem though: it's in Carlow. :-(
    It's sad of losing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Not a shop I frequented but this pandemic and brexit shipping fiasco has made me appreciate bricks and mortar stores a lot more. So not great to see a large name depart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

padyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, it's official. I just got an email off them that they are moving to a new address. One problem though: it's in Carlow. :-(
    It's sad of losing them.

Same here, they're not closing down at all, they are just moving:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

It's sad of losing them.

There's already a Halfords in Hanover, are they opening a second store in Carlow?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

There's already a Halfords in Hanover, are they opening a second store in Carlow?

That's in Germany. ;-) Yes, it's the pc way of saying, we are lowering the shutters for good. I really thought for a second that they are moving but staying in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Kilkenny c!used and said they .moved to carlow

I got that email- PR spin as if the Kk store is “moving” to Carlow! Shame to see another store go. There’s going to have be a serious retail strategy in Kilkenny as it’s been haemorrhaging shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I got that email- PR spin as if the Kk store is “moving” to Carlow! Shame to see another store go. There’s going to have be a serious retail strategy in Kilkenny as it’s been haemorrhaging shops

Have a look at the amount of empty units in market cross. The rates and service charges are scandalous and that’s before you factor in the rent. You would want to be off your head to take one.

emeldc wrote: »
    Have a look at the amount of empty units in market cross. The rates and service charges are scandalous and that’s before you factor in the rent. You would want to be off your head to take one.

That's the main reason for that shop's closure, not Brexit.

josip wrote: »
    That's the main reason for that shop's closure, not Brexit.

Yes, if it was Brexit why the “move”
    To Carlow!

emeldc wrote: »

Yes it’s pretty dire. But if you go look at the prices being charged they’re outrageous- in the current climate you’d have to be unhinged to take any unit- you don’t know what Covid whim will close you down and for how long- shops nearly closed 2 months now with no end date in sight.
    Market cross has really declined of late- needs millions spent on updating and re modelling. Perhaps if they could expand Penney’s someway in it

It's kind of interesting that they have done there best to keep business's out of Kilkenny other similar sized towns have these stores

Tesco
    The Range
    Homestore
    Homesavers
    Homebase
    Iceland
    Currys

Probably to protect local business's but it's not having any effect, business are leaving. Possibly there are better options for Kilkenny people to shop in other towns.

• Advertisement

Dymo wrote: »
    It's kind of interesting that they have done there best to keep business's out of Kilkenny other similar sized towns have these stores

Tesco
    The Range
    Homestore
    Homesavers
    Homebase
    Iceland
    Currys

Probably to protect local business's but it's not having any effect, business are leaving. Possibly there are better options for Kilkenny people to shop in other towns.

Yes I think it’s had the opposite effect- driven people online and to neighbouring towns.
    You mention Homesavers- I heard they had a unit all stocked ready to open in Hebron business park- pulled the lot out fur to planning issues. That’ll tell you how business friendly the council are here. A glorified Euro shop couldn’t be opened successfully in a unit that’s been empty for years

This is what I wanted to ask: what happened to Homesavers? But you had my question answered.
    I saw the shop was fully loaded then it turned to a ghost town, went completely empty without much happening.

This is what I wanted to ask: what happened to Homesavers? But you had my question answered.
    I saw the shop was fully loaded then it turned to a ghost town, went completely empty without much happening.

Apparently there was some planning issue which I find hard to believe because before Homesavers were there it was a furniture store which both are retail which shouldn't need a change of planning but maybe the council found another loophole to stop them from opening, not enough car parking spots, grocery retail is not permitted there, some reason stopped them.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Dymo wrote: »
    Apparently there was some planning issue which I find hard to believe because before Homesavers were there it was a furniture store which both are retail which shouldn't need a change of planning but maybe the council found another loophole to stop them from opening, not enough car parking spots, grocery retail is not permitted there, some reason stopped them.

Probably the same as this (Waterford)

Anything going into this unit I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Are Halfords still open in Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Jysk now have stickers up on the windows where the Halfords unit was. Basically saying they’re opening soon but no indication of a month.

Remember reading something a while back on the kk people that they were planning to open in 2024 but again no exact date given. You would imagine it would be early 2024 though

• Advertisement

Advertisement