Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing 20/21

• 11-01-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Folks hubby turning 50 in summer. We used to go skiing in the good oul days before kids. I have around 3500 to spend but would like Austria and it’s 3 adults 1 child. Is it doable or am I kidding myself?? Want to go Xmas or if any of u fabulous lot have a better idea of a nice trip. We have a summer holiday to canaries already sorted so that’s it. Tried to get Glastonbury but. Missed out

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Folks hubby turning 50 in summer. We used to go skiing in the good oul days before kids. I have around 3500 to spend but would like Austria and it’s 3 adults 1 child. Is it doable or am I kidding myself?? Want to go Xmas or if any of u fabulous lot have a better idea of a nice trip. We have a summer holiday to canaries already sorted so that’s it. Tried to get Glastonbury but. Missed out

I have done Austria for 2 adults and 3 kids all in (bar food and drink) for 3.5k start of Feb.

Flights to Munich with Ryanair
    Transfer with www.tirol-taxi.at
    Acom via the local tourist board site
    Lessons for the kids
    2 x adult passes 1 x child (the others are free)
    Ski rental 2 x adult 3 x kids

Christmas is going to push the price up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah Christmas is bonkers money I'm afraid. But if you avoid that and the February ski holidays I'd say you could get within that budget self catering.

Edit: actually Christmas itself tends to be relatively cheap if you're willing to go there for the 25th, its the week after that is bonkers money

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I brought the family (2 adults + 2 kids) skiing at Garmisch-Partenkirchen from 26 to 30 December 2018 and found all very reasonable.

Two bed apt found on the gapa.de website, Ryanair flights to Munich and Flicks bus return from Munich. I think about 400 Apt + 500 flights then ski & food costs.

The hardest thing was finding food for the apartment on the 26th! Only found petrol stations open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm thinking sauze d'oux if it's a gang of us next year. And today fm if not.

Is it too early to be dreaming?

I'm guessing you've all seen on facebook / instagram / etc that places are open at the moment for the end of season skiing. Does this mean that we can expect fairly normal skiing next year? I don't know what the story is about limiting numbers on the slopes or anything like that. It would suck if you missed out because of a cap in numbers. Or had to pay extra. But it would be amazing if the slopes were empty as a result. But the bars still full for the atmosphere. And also the crowds like standing so there's always a seat and a table when we get to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

blue note wrote: »
    I'm guessing you've all seen on facebook / instagram / etc that places are open at the moment for the end of season skiing. Does this mean that we can expect fairly normal skiing next year? I don't know what the story is about limiting numbers on the slopes or anything like that. It would suck if you missed out because of a cap in numbers. Or had to pay extra. But it would be amazing if the slopes were empty as a result. But the bars still full for the atmosphere. And also the crowds like standing so there's always a seat and a table when we get to them.

No one knows her and we won’t know until very close to the time either, there is just far too many variables. If there is skiing I’ll be there though wherever that may be.

I've seen in the states that they are selling limited numbers of lift passes for resorts.

I assume it'll be the same as normal except for lifts and cable cars / gondolas. This will mean longer queues and if the resort feels they can't limit the numbers in queues they may limit the number of lift passes.

Then one assumes there may be restrictions on the numbers in restaurants, which could obviously be a big problem if there's bad weather and people can't eat outside. Though I gather in austria they've been a bit more liberal about restaurants?

Hopefully this might be offset by fewer people going

There are a couple of glacier resorts in europe open right now so if you look online you may see what they're doing. Had a quick look at Hintertux, beyond masks being compulsory and people being told to distance I'm not sure what else they're doing.

But numbers in summer are very low, winter will be a different story

One things for certain - like madness, i'll be there, at some point! Days getting shorter from today lads!

In fact might not be a bad idea to get a trip in before Christmas to beat any second wave or travel restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

a148pro wrote: »
    I've seen in the states that they are selling limited numbers of lift passes for resorts.

I assume it'll be the same as normal except for lifts and cable cars / gondolas. This will mean longer queues and if the resort feels they can't limit the numbers in queues they may limit the number of lift passes.

Then one assumes there may be restrictions on the numbers in restaurants, which could obviously be a big problem if there's bad weather and people can't eat outside. Though I gather in austria they've been a bit more liberal about restaurants?

Hopefully this might be offset by fewer people going

There are a couple of glacier resorts in europe open right now so if you look online you may see what they're doing. Had a quick look at Hintertux, beyond masks being compulsory and people being told to distance I'm not sure what else they're doing.

But numbers in summer are very low, winter will be a different story

One things for certain - like madness, i'll be there, at some point! Days getting shorter from today lads!

In fact might not be a bad idea to get a trip in before Christmas to beat any second wave or travel restrictions

Ya its really hard to know hows it is going to pan out. But it is hard to imagine places without some form of social distancing measures on lifts, which means halving the capacity possible unless they have sort of buddy system.

Theres some mad ques in bikeparks in europe at the minute even though the bike provides distancing in itself.

The mad austrian apres bars will probably have to tone it down alot. Regardless of the virus, even for optics Ischgl and St. Anton will have very different atmosphere next year.

I reckon ischgl might be a good bet because most people go for the apres anyway so if they cant do that they wont go.

I reckon ski passes will have to be booked in advance, the popular places will sell out fast.

It might be time for me finally consider something a bit more off grid, i except the they might expand the market for touring stuff like that.

Curious of people views or does anyone have any further insight.

Thinking of passing on the 20/21 season to be honest, time will tell though

lbj666 wrote: »
    Curious of people views or does anyone have any further insight.

All valid points I think

• Advertisement

If there is not another big outbreak and lockdown then there should be skiing. Resorts will do whatever they can to open up and make some money and I will do whatever I can to ski. A lot of casual skiers won’t bother and that’s completely understandable too.
    The interesting question is whether it will be cheaper or more expensive as a result?

maddness wrote: »
    The interesting question is whether it will be cheaper or more expensive as a result?

I guarantee you it'll be more expensive. There might be bargins out there, but it'll cost more the majority of the time. Even if demand goes down by more than their supply is restricted.

Yeah for some reason commentators seem to be suggesting it'll be more expensive. Like you'd think they'd drop prices to encourage people to go but if numbers are down or have to be limited then their bottom line might also be affected. Plus they lost the end of last season.

I have a fear of visiting resorts and seeing lots of shuttered hotels and restaurants as Covid scars for years to come. I fear we'll see as much in our own communities.

The US model seems to be for much more expensive lift pass prices. While that's less likely to be tolerated by thrifty Europeans who can commute to resorts for a day, I think the reality is that skiing has gotten more and more elitist, and the demographic older and wealthier. So high US lift pass prices set a precedent that some resorts may look to adopt. Strange times.

Normally at this time of year I’d have one or two trips booked already and would be starting to look at the various ski sites but not this year.
    I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not that important but I really miss the organising and research involved in booking a ski holiday.
    It’s impossible to know if a few days skiing will be viable but if it is I think it will be very last minute.
    Let’s hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Same, booked August last year, got to Bulgaria and Austria. Thinking that if anything gets booked it won't be until after Christmas. Wouldn't try DIY, too likely you'd be relying on travel agent guarantees if something gets cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Also looked at top flight for mayrhofen out of curiosity, seemed to have less options, prices were the same for the places I've stayed or slightly more expensive if anything.

Evenings noticeably shorter. Time to start thinking but a big blot on the horizon at the moment. Can't see it happening. Too guilt tripped by government / social consensus to go for family holiday in green list country, where we'd be in a holiday home, on a beach and eating takeaway or outdoors. So can't see myself being morally willing to go on an opulent, unnecessary holiday in weather that requires me to spend so much time indoors with other people. Also can't see how cable cars could be a good idea. Ski holiday may be an actual risk to the the irish public when you come home.

Ireland offers a lot to someone interested in an active outdoor summer holiday, but not skiing unfortunately.

Maybe a camper van based trip to scotland with touring? I've always wanted to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The thought of not getting one, let alone our usual two ski trips in next season is killing me. Just can't see it happening though. Have been watching the deals come and go recently from the operators.

Scotland has crossed my mind. Tried it a few years ago, but when we got there the lifts were closed 'cos there was too much snow - and that was after a day's delay because the snowgates to the Highlands were closed due to conditions.

So.. I dunno :(

I guess we'll just see how everything pans out.

I always do a few short trips but think this is the year to book a week with a tour operator.
    I’d imagine early season might be very difficult but I’m holding out hope for March or April 2021.

To be honest madness early season might be your best bet - should be quieter and stuff won't have gotten shut down yet.

Unfortunately I see zero hope of this thing having been sorted by late season - though you would be able to sit out more

Hard to know what's best - but if you were willing to try and it was available early season I'd go for it. Sure Christmas will be one big long quarantine anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I've booked a refundable ferry to France for January with the ability to work from home, I'm going to see if I can stay somewhere for a couple of months (Serre Chevalier looking the likely candidate) and get a ferry back in March. I can quarantine at both ends if required but if it looks a lot worse in Jan than it is now I will be able to cancel the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

DoraDelite wrote: »
    I've booked a refundable ferry to France for January with the ability to work from home, I'm going to see if I can stay somewhere for a couple of months (Serre Chevalier looking the likely candidate) and get a ferry back in March. I can quarantine at both ends if required but if it looks a lot worse in Jan than it is now I will be able to cancel the ferry.

What an amazing plan! Great idea. I wonder can I convince the o/h to do something similar.

Our trip this year was to be from March 14th and we ended up cancelling just two days before departure. I'm dreaming about potential trips next season but keeping the expectations low for now.

Murphy's law this happened the year I finally bit the bullet and bought my favourite pair of skis! Will they ever get used? :D

I feel like age is catching up with me and other life commitments will start to get in the way (like potentially having a kid) over the next few years so really hoping I can get a trip or two in next year. :o

That's a savage plan, super jealous, if you can't beat them join em!

Working from home full time has really opened up some possibilities and with some places having decent co-working spaces (this is the one I'm looking at in Serre Che: https://cloudcitadel.co/) it's a real possibility now to drive over and ski/work for a couple of months. It saves on the holidays as you could work 3 or 4 days a week and ski the rest of the time. By driving across, you can stay away from airports and planes so cuts that risk and staying in the same place lowers the risk too. Plus I'm not going for any Aprés or jamming myself into any bars, happy to just be going for the skiing and a glass or two of wine in the evening.

The more I look at it, the more it makes sense! so much so that I'm considering the MTB equivalent in the summer :D

What an amazing plan! Great idea. I wonder can I convince the o/h to do something similar.

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Working from home full time has really opened up some possibilities and with some places having decent co-working spaces (this is the one I'm looking at in Serre Che: https://cloudcitadel.co/) it's a real possibility now to drive over and ski/work for a couple of months. It saves on the holidays as you could work 3 or 4 days a week and ski the rest of the time. By driving across, you can stay away from airports and planes so cuts that risk and staying in the same place lowers the risk too. Plus I'm not going for any Aprés or jamming myself into any bars, happy to just be going for the skiing and a glass or two of wine in the evening.

The more I look at it, the more it makes sense! so much so that I'm considering the MTB equivalent in the summer :D

It makes great sense if you can do it. I'd love to, unfortunately the OH needs to be able to go to her office. I wonder if she'll miss me :D

Today FM cancelled their 2021 ski trip

Ah sure there was no way that was going ahead. I'd absolutely love to go on one, but we'd a kiddo on the way in March. I'm guessing there's no point in going with a kid? Or else just go separately to the missus.

I'm working from home now and usually stick on youtube for background noise. I've started sticking on a few ski videos recently. This is the time of year I usually allow myself to get a little excited about skiing in the new year. It's a bit depressing now. While in previous years I didn't think I'd get away, this year there's not a chance I will. It's still nice to look at slopes, there are few views as beautiful than those from up a snowy mountain. And the thought of trying to get down them more comfortably than I did the previous year gets me excited. But alas, youtube will be the closest I get.

I’ve decided to book a week skiing for March 2021 with Crystal Ski.
    I normally go on a couple of short trips that I organise myself but reckon that this is a far safer option.
    Not sure where to book for yet but have spoken to Crystal who have told me I can change to another resort in a different country if needed depending on green list and other restrictions.
    If I was a betting man I’d say it’s about 50/50 if I’ll end up going but feck it it’s something to look forward to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Have booked the family in for a week in France in the run up to Christmas.

Not going with a tour operator for a change. Gives us a bit more flexibility.

Considered Austria but they make everyone get a test on arrival and it's quite intrusive so don't want to put the kids through it. (neighbour got one and said it's like scraping your brain! :eek:)

There's great value out there at the moment. I don't expect apres ski to be like it normally is but should still be nice to get out and enjoy the bit of skiing. Back home on the 23rd and hopeful we can have a normal Christmas this year if level 5 works.

Anyone else heading over? What country are you thinking?

Advertisement