Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to do with old shoes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sadly, it goes against the grain to think of sending stuff off to the "Third World" so that a bunch of greedy middlemen can make a fortune off the back of some poor African craftsman. :( I may have watched too many documentaries on the subject of how our Western waste is poisoning the lives of the "not us" people. So for stuff like this (and electrical waste) I need to know exactly what's happening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ValKra

Donations to Simon, if they are non dress shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

As mentioned in other posts, these shoes are no longer fit to wear in any context (other than, perhaps, part of a "homeless guy" costume); and I'm really looking for something that *I* can do with them, instead of foisting them onto someone else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could fill them with compacted clay and use them as bricks for a border for a flower bed (and cover them with something else because they wouldn't be pretty). I've seen houses built with used tyres and compacted earth - your shoes might not last as long, but you wouldn't have to live in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I lived on an Outer Orkney island and there were few if any alternatives, the system was to dig a very deep hole or trench. Bury and cover and grow atop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Although I am just speaking for myself I used two old shoes about a year back as bird houses. Used an ingenious ways to attach them to a blackthorn tree. Can't be sure they were used but some ivy is currently hidding them.

Dan.

Advertisement