Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian Open 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bubblegummers

Rob2D wrote: »
    v60ujt4f60b21.png

:pac:

Many brits left? #Backthebrits #Notthisyear

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rob2D wrote: »
    v60ujt4f60b21.png

:pac:

Fair play to him! Being a night owl myself watching tennis until 3am is my idea of heaven!

Both sides of the draw are pretty much going to form so far, lots of good matches brewing. Disappointed Sharapova-Wozniacki is on smack bang in the middle of the night, would like to watch it. Osaka-Hsieh could also be a very good match on Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

Rafa v Di Minaur could be interesting. Di Minaur is bang on form just now and Rafa does not have a good record in Melbourne.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rafa v Di Minaur could be interesting. Di Minaur is bang on form just now and Rafa does not have a good record in Melbourne.

Well Nadal's won the title once and reached the final another three times, so I think that's a bit of a stretch :pac:

But yeah, I don't see it. De Minaur's 19, coming off a title last week and a five setter in his previous match. I can see him taking a set and making it competitive for another one, before Nadal pulls away in a comfortable four-set win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fair play to him! Being a night owl myself watching tennis until 3am is my idea of heaven!

Both sides of the draw are pretty much going to form so far, lots of good matches brewing. Disappointed Sharapova-Wozniacki is on smack bang in the middle of the night, would like to watch it. Osaka-Hsieh could also be a very good match on Saturday.

Can’t remember the last women’s slam with so few early shocks. Should lead to some heavyweight clashes late on for sure. I have a few quid on Barty, thinking she might be on the verge of a breakthrough but will have to beat a lot of top players to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Well Nadal's won the title once and reached the final another three times, so I think that's a bit of a stretch :pac:

Yeah, every player on tour bar 2 would swap their AO records for his!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭josip

De Minaur broken already, this won't taken long.
    Nadal looking very good.

generally happens when a younger gun is hyped up against one of the big 3

Nadal et al are still so far ahead of the chasing pack when on form. Baffled me how many were writing him off pre-tournament, injury or not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,632 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've only seen bits of Nadal's and Djovoic's matches but of the two, Nadal seemed to be playing better, picking his shots, fewer errors.
    And I know very little about tennis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Just give Nadal the trophy allready .... christ.

Nadal won’t win it

Sure about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Thinking of putting money on Nadal, looks like he's overcome that injury and is hitting form at the right time

Thinking of putting money on Nadal, looks like he's overcome that injury and is hitting form at the right time

Do it ASAP, I got him yesterday at 8.5, don't know what he'll be on now ..
    It's money in the bank.

Rafa v Berdych and Federer v Tsitsipas have the potential to be cracking matches :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Osaka looking very frustrated out there at the moment. Could be an upset in the making.

I reckon she will come back and win.

Halep v Venus will be very interesting.

I reckon she will come back and win.

Halep v Venus will be very interesting.

Not looking likely at the moment. Mental game doesn't seem to be there yet.

Good fight back from osaka here in fairness, was on the brink there, some solid clutch play.

Big momentum shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

True World No 1 when she plays like this, lucky to escape an ankle injury there though

So pleased with how Naomi is turning this around. It was looking fairly bleak there for a while.

Rafa v Berdych and Federer v Tsitsipas have the potential to be cracking matches :).

Raonic zverev will be interesting too. in fact most games looking to be good match-ups on the men's side

Sh1t starts to get real in the fourth round.

Incredibly strong last 16 on the women's side, almost all the top players are there. So impressed with how Osaka played her way through adversity last night, hopefully should serve her well when faced with another tricky opponent in Sevastova.

From what I’ve watched of the women’s it seems to confirm that power is more and more taking over. Still plenty of breaks but less common than you’d expect - just two in a long 3 setter between Muguruza and Konta the other night. Sabalenka disappointing again but still very intriguing last 16 line up. Serena looks in proper beast mode so far, going to be interesting to see how Halep squares up, tie of the round for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Watching Osaka last night i didn't expect her to win. Hiseh won 7 games in a row and looked well on top when i had to give in to sleep. Was surprised to see Osaka won.

Really hoping that Barty wins today!

Kvitova in the QF's for the first time in seven years, the year Azarenka won her first slam. I must say I wasn't expecting much from her this week. She's got nobody to fear in the bottom half, she could well make the final, but just as easily flop to Barty. As is usually the case, it'll be on her racquet.

Nadal annihilates Berdych. Absolutely daft to see people writing him off pre tournament

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

This match between Federer and Tsitsipas is quality!

Advertisement