Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help daughter hates course!!

• 29-06-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

My daughter just finished first year if college and has broken down to us that she hates the course !! She feel it so not for her and is so lost
    Is there anything at all she can do at this stage? Is it too late to change to a different course
    We haven't a clue I just feel helpless

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Imani Wailing Bridle

First, don't panic. The years fees are gone so that's a bummer but that's literally the worst part. If she decides she wants to go back to something else she'll have to pay full whack foe the first year (about 5 k depending on the course) and then she'll be back on the reduced fee for second year. I don't know your financial situation but hopefully that's not too bad for you. If you're on a grant I don't think you'll get it for the first year of the new course but it should be reinstated after that. Though I'm not too au fait with that side of it so am open to correction

She is, unfortunately, probably too late to reapply through the cao for September intake, but maybe that's not a bad thing. She can get a job and decide what she actually want to do. She is presumably quite young so has loads of time to decide. She's not the first and certainly won't be the last to leave a course she doesn't like.

There's no rush in contacting the college, you can deregister her before the next year starts and keep the reduced fees for second year. Maybe look at doing that before the end of July. It's fine though, far from the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

First, don't panic. The years fees are gone so that's a bummer but that's literally the worst part. If she decides she wants to go back to something else she'll have to pay full whack foe the first year (about 5 k depending on the course) and then she'll be back on the reduced fee for second year. I don't know your financial situation but hopefully that's not too bad for you. If you're on a grant I don't think you'll get it for the first year of the new course but it should be reinstated after that. Though I'm not too au fait with that side of it so am open to correction

She is, unfortunately, probably too late to reapply through the cao for September intake, but maybe that's not a bad thing. She can get a job and decide what she actually want to do. She is presumably quite young so has loads of time to decide. She's not the first and certainly won't be the last to leave a course she doesn't like.

There's no rush in contacting the college, you can deregister her before the next year starts and keep the reduced fees for second year. Maybe look at doing that before the end of July. It's fine though, far from the end of the world.

So it is too late for cao is it thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

She might be able to transfer to a different, related course, in the same department of the same university. There are procedures for this which vary from university to university.

The best thing you can do is get your Daughter to call the university and talk to the admissions office about that the options are and how to go about it.

Otherwise it's take next year off, re-apply through the CAO next year and pay for first year out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

quick note...it is actually not too late to apply for 1st year through the cao as long as she is a current registered student. There is an exceptional closing date for existing students.

Depending on the college there might also be an option to move into second year of a different programme. Again not all colleges offer this so she would need to speak to her college or the college she does want to attend.

You dont mention if she has passed her first year....if she has then she could always defer her second year and look at her options.

I would strongly recommend that she contact her college asap.Also her college should have a careers office she could speak.

Releasing after 1st year that the programme is not for you actually happens a lot. While it can be a financial hit there are lots of options still but she definitely need to speak to the college

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PETERDGRIFFIN

All hope is not lost!

There is a (little known) facility to apply late through CAO for a student who is already in a University/IOT

Taken from CAO site
    22nd July (17:15) Exceptional closing date for late applications for those already attending a participating HEI

• Advertisement

Thank you I have emailed the college . She passed 7/8 modules so has to resist one module.
    Would college acceptance go on her points from her leaving still
    She doesn't want to leave college for a year thanks

If she wanted to move to another unrelated course but it was more points than she got in the leaving last year would that be possible ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

nickys wrote: »
    If she wanted to move to another unrelated course but it was more points than she got in the leaving last year would that be possible ? Thanks

No she still has to satisfy entry requirements like everyone else. If she doesn't have enough points she could wait and apply as a mature student once she's over 23, or see if there's a PLC route to the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Thank you I have emailed the college . She passed 7/8 modules so has to resist one module.

Don't rely on emails this time of year - make sure you/your daughter actually goes in or speaks to somebody on the phone. Then follow up with an email.

Honestly, she is very brave and mature to recognise that the course is not for her and wanting to do something about it. Support and comfort her, and as others have said, don't panic. This can be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Emails aren't great this time of year, most academic staff and lecturers are away. I would encourage her to make sure to pass the module she failed. It is far easier to transfer between courses in a college or between colleges if she has successfully passed the year.
    What area is she in? What does she want to move to? What are the reasons for her unhappiness?

• Advertisement

Emails aren't great this time of year, most academic staff and lecturers are away. I would encourage her to make sure to pass the module she failed. It is far easier to transfer between courses in a college or between colleges if she has successfully passed the year.
    What area is she in? What does she want to move to? What are the reasons for her unhappiness?

She was studying post primary teaching loves the English but the religion is a minefield she failed ethics and is resit it next month
    She is sport mad plays Senior county football and really that is probably the field she should have went down but loved the idea of English teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

Yu should contact the college(s) she's interested in to see what their cutoff date is and whether or not they would accept a transfer. Given that her target course is totally different to what she is currently studying it is likely she will have to enter via CAO as a first year student. As other posters said, there is still time to contact CAO but it might be a good idea for her to take the year out (and earn some money for first year fees) to make sure she is fully informed on her new course.

best of luck, she is making the correct decision!

1) Pass failed module - even if she hates religion, lecturers are more inclined to accept students who have passed everything onto their courses, looks much better for her
    2) Make direct contact with college and find out about options for deferral, transferring between courses
    3) Be proactive- the more she engages with college - in admissions, in the careers office, in the school office, the better chance she has of getting somewhere
    4)Use the option of applying through CAO for a different course

The main thing is that she does something proactive, she has done the hardest part - told you about it - now she needs to go fix it. Remember also, that if she is over 18, college staff are not always allowed discuss her situation with you, she will have to do a lot of this herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If she's playing senior county football she should be looking into potential sports scholarships, it might make the financial burden of repeating first year easier.

If she's playing senior county football she should be looking into potential sports scholarships, it might make the financial burden of repeating first year easier.

She got a scholarship this year in DCU

Have you checked other college websites for Advanced Entry Options? http://www.itcarlow.ie/public/userfiles/files/School%20of%20Business%20&%20Humanities.pdf - has some here.
    Also, as she has a GAA scholarship she could try contacting some of these people http://www.itcarlow.ie/courses/type/undergraduate-cao-courses/sport-media-marketing-courses/cw807.htm
    Even if she did end up taking a year out, it would give her a chance to think about what she wants and get some money to take pressure off of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

I know the course that your daughter is in as I also studied it! If she is hating the religion aspect at this stage then I would definitely say the course is not for her, as it doesn't ease up at all after first year. Is there another subject she would consider teaching with English? She could do an arts course and then get her master's in education afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

Hi Nickys
    As mentioned previously- she (with your help) needs to contact the College Careers Office and perhaps even Student Counselling Services and her course head.
    They will be able to advise her on available options. (Deferral, Re-sit change etc)
    Again as mentioned, go into the College (try and make an appointment, but if no luck - doorstep). Emails are good for a record, but face to face is better. If the college is "MD" then the Chaplin could be helpful.

Its important to take this seriously - what I really mean is to get "them" to understand that this is a serious situation for her and her family (I know you are very concerned)
    I work in Third Level environment and have a son who went through something similar, however he didn't tell us until halfway through second year - so it made things a bit messier.
    Similarly - he was sports mad, but due to a serious injury, he was side-lined and this combined with the course (unhappy) lead to a deep depression.
    Sports courses: just be careful what she picks. Many Colleges run sports courses, but some of these are no more that "business management" with a little bit of sports thrown in. So get the one that suits her best.
    A year out might be a wise option (but she may not see it this way, an eighteen year old thinks 23 is over the hill)
    Options
    Find out her options
    Let her pick the one that suits her best
    Guide and support her in the choice
    (Resitting the module and then taking a year out should be considered, but that depends on how she feels about it)
    Fees - while these are important, her health & happiness (and yours) are the primary concern.
    Best wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I did this very thing, I did one year of Physics in DCU and transferred to Computer Applications - I didn't have the Leaving Cert points but they let me in on merit of completing the 1st year of Physics.

Now this was 18 years ago (jesus Im old) so I don't know if they still do this, but I'd imagine they have some places reserved to current students.

I came across this thread of mine from 5 years ago now. my daughter ended up sticking with her course and loved it after the 1st year.
    She found a job with full time hours and is in her 2nd year teaching in the same school

• Advertisement
Advertisement