Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New businesses

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

A Ballinrobe friend told me when Western Pride was starting off, that the ownerss slept in the bakery while baking the various batches = baking can be a 24/7 activity.

Competition is fierce. The supermarket chains demand small margins.

Once every town had a number of bakers, baking good quality bread.

Now all changed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Would have no idea, sorry!

It's going to be a phone/laptop shop, doing repairs and unlocking, not the high quality shop you'd like to see on your towns main street but at least the unit is being used instead of being left empty

Better than empty I suppose, but I Can't see it being there as long as Bolands was.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Anyone know what's going in to Tim Hastings old garage on Altamont St in Westport?

Or what's happening to the Old Mill site out the Quay?

The old mill at the Quay - commonly called Pollexfens - was recently demolished, I presume on safety grounds.

It was originally built over a hundred years ago by a Mr Carder to mill soapstone from Clogher Achill. The soapstone was brought down on a narrow gauge railway to a pier and brought up by boat to Westport Harbour for milling.

Pollexfens of Ballisodare then acquired it for flour milling. They were a quaker family. Yeats's mother was one of that family

Yeats spent a lot of his life in unrequited love for Maude Gonne MacBride. After Maude Gonne and John MacBride divorced, she got custody of their only son Seán. They lived mainly in Paris, hence Seán's french accent. Each summer she brought Seán over to Westport to meet his grandmother and other relations. His grandmother lived where the Helm Bar is now. There was a managers residence at the mill. Yeats was so obsessed with Maude Gonne to make it likely that he came down to Westport, and may have stayed at the mill. No doubt while waiting to meet her in some nearby pub he scribbled out some anguished love poems to her. Some of the best literary minds on boards.ie ( West Mayo section ) are now pulling pub furniture apart around there looking for even a fragment of an unpublished WBY poem. Could be a Ph.D. out of it

The mill milled on under various owners up to the 1970s. Around the time of the Seaside Resort Scheme a local firm bought it and sought planning to develop apartments there. The neighbouring fishmeal plant objected. They claimed the proposed apartments would affect compliance with their own planning permissions. It got complicated, but the net result was that the Seaside Resort Scheme, and the tax allowances with it, had run out before any planning obtained. Sad, as the fishmeal plant has since folded, leaving two derelict properties there

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

RogerThis wrote:
    Anyone know what's going in to Tim Hastings old garage on Altamont St in Westport?

It's my understanding it's going to be a Centra with the one out the quay closing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

yorlum11 wrote: »
    It's my understanding it's going to be a Centra with the one out the quay closing.

Dunness Stores is closing so that would nearly make sense, though there is a savage lack of parking up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yorlum11 wrote: »

I heard that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

yop wrote: »
    Dunness Stores is closing so that would nearly make sense, though there is a savage lack of parking up there.

Is dunnes closing? When , thought it was a handy place across from that hotel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

P_Cash wrote: »
    Is dunnes closing? When , thought it was a handy place across from that hotel.

Ys it seems so. No idea when to be honest, was speaking to a local there at the weekend and it seems they are pulling plant. It was too big to be viable and too small to be worthy, if that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

yop wrote: »
    Ys it seems so. No idea when to be honest, was speaking to a local there at the weekend and it seems they are pulling plant. It was too big to be viable and too small to be worthy, if that makes sense!

Get ya, for a passerby it was fine, . Weekly shop no way

• Advertisement

Anyone see any jobs in mayo from this fiber cable in killala. I can't. Despite all the hype in the papers.

'
    irishgeo wrote: »
    Anyone see any jobs in mayo from this fiber cable in killala. I can't. Despite all the hype in the papers.
    I doubt there will be too many new permanent jobs from it. even if big data centres are built, they run on a skeleton staff. so any spin off will be in the construction. that said it can only be a positive thing, who knows what industry and innovation now becomes viable in the area. I don't know enough about it myself

I see O'Hehirs have their new Cafe/Bakery up and running beside the town hall in Westport. good to see a vacant unit full again

I see O'Hehirs have their new Cafe/Bakery up and running beside the town hall in Westport. good to see a vacant unit full again

It is a very good stand. Westport's first coffee shop The Tea Cosy was in the town hall side of those premises in the late fifties.

Westport has many coffee shops now - perhaps too many for the available footfall, especially outside the main tourist season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Any one else hear that bar one is closing and that they have bought the towers in Westport

naughto wrote: »
    Any one else hear that bar one is closing and that they have bought the towers in Westport
    The caadden lads are doing well there, i would be surprised as they are from castlebar. always looks busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I heard that their second lease of their current premise is shortly expiring and cannot be renewed due to a squatters rights issue, have not heard about the towers, but people have mentioned them moving into the upper crust, but then again I have heard that is being knocked for the Greenway.

the landlord was looking to put up the rent so they decided not to renew it

Was anyone at the Artisan Food and Blues festival on Sunday in Castlebar, I heard the artisan food comprised of fast food vans and a sweet van and only about 50 or so people turned out for it.

On the other hand the Bonamh Market seemed well supported the day before.

Xenji wrote: »
    Was anyone at the Artisan Food and Blues festival on Sunday in Castlebar, I heard the artisan food comprised of fast food vans and a sweet van and only about 50 or so people turned out for it.

On the other hand the Bonamh Market seemed well supported the day before.

The Artisan food was a bit lacking alright. poor attendance due to very crappy weather. I have heard the Various Bar 0ne rumours too. Think it would be crazy for them to move, they are doing great business there. The Towers in Westport quay would be pretty seasonal as it is out of town.

The Uppercrust is being knocked for the Greenway (proposed anyway) but there will be units built along the river with restaurants included.

In other news the widening of Newline in Castlebar is finally going ahead between Oct 5th-30th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Many rumors going on about Bar One and Rocky's at the moment, seems with the amount of people traveling over to Westport every weekend has a number of bars in town losing a large amount of trade. I myself went over to Westport on Saturday, the town was wedged, every pub had a crowd and the Castle Court was packed. Castlebar is a very confusing town, it's the capital town of the County which would usually mean it would be the busiest with bars, clubs as well as concerts and gigs, especially with the TF at the top of town, but it is very much the opposite. A number of gigs have been put on targeting different groups but none have made Castlebar a go to destination for many.

Their was a large number of bikers in town at the weekend, and they meet up annually in a different town each year. Many said the greeting they were giving in the town was terrible and they felt like nobody was told they were coming, even though they made contact with the powers that be last year that they were coming to town. Is their not somebody being paid some sort of wage in the council to promote events in the county town? From what ive seen the only things that have happened in the town this year was a trad gig at the corner by Rocky's, the 4 day walks, another gig on Main Street and what events happened over the weekend. For a town of this size I find that very poor, just look at the amount of success Westport has, even Ballina has been putting on a number of events, one is even a follow up from the 'In Humbert's Footsteps', with Castlebar being one of the main battle area's, would the town not have thought it would be a good idea to keep the idea going?

I feel like im ranting a tad but with the lack of new business entering the town, the lack of any nightlife, and from what I can see, the complete laziness from town Councilors to try and make something work or happen in this town have left be dispirited. I know the town have the Love Castlebar group who are trying to make things move in town, but it feels like the big hitters in town such as publicans, store and property owners as well as politicians don't care at all what is happening

Many rumors going on about Bar One and Rocky's at the moment, seems with the amount of people traveling over to Westport every weekend has a number of bars in town losing a large amount of trade. I myself went over to Westport on Saturday, the town was wedged, every pub had a crowd and the Castle Court was packed. Castlebar is a very confusing town, it's the capital town of the County which would usually mean it would be the busiest with bars, clubs as well as concerts and gigs, especially with the TF at the top of town, but it is very much the opposite. A number of gigs have been put on targeting different groups but none have made Castlebar a go to destination for many.

Their was a large number of bikers in town at the weekend, and they meet up annually in a different town each year. Many said the greeting they were giving in the town was terrible and they felt like nobody was told they were coming, even though they made contact with the powers that be last year that they were coming to town. Is their not somebody being paid some sort of wage in the council to promote events in the county town? From what ive seen the only things that have happened in the town this year was a trad gig at the corner by Rocky's, the 4 day walks, another gig on Main Street and what events happened over the weekend. For a town of this size I find that very poor, just look at the amount of success Westport has, even Ballina has been putting on a number of events, one is even a follow up from the 'In Humbert's Footsteps', with Castlebar being one of the main battle area's, would the town not have thought it would be a good idea to keep the idea going?

I feel like im ranting a tad but with the lack of new business entering the town, the lack of any nightlife, and from what I can see, the complete laziness from town Councilors to try and make something work or happen in this town have left be dispirited. I know the town have the Love Castlebar group who are trying to make things move in town, but it feels like the big hitters in town such as publicans, store and property owners as well as politicians don't care at all what is happening

What is the rumour about Rocky's?

The Humbert festival is being rotated around different towns each year, not sure who's bright idea that was though, Love Castlebar on the other hand come up with ideas and then either never evolve them leaving them to stagnate or target the wrong demographic.

What is the rumour about Rocky's?

The Humbert festival is being rotated around different towns each year, not sure who's bright idea that was though, Love Castlebar on the other hand come up with ideas and then either never evolve them leaving them to stagnate or target the wrong demographic.

the lack of a niteclub/latebar targeting the over 25s is killing the town. i mean coxs is just played out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Just heard from a few people while out drinking that both pubs on Linenhall Street are doing v poor. But it's all gossip until we hear anything more. The TF is such a waste, but I feel the life really needs to be injected back into Main Street, hopefully whatever is happening with McCarthys can be done quickly, and hopefully something happens on the other side of the bridge too. A lot of the empty units on main street are either damaged, (such as the three which are fire damaged across from Stauntons Pharmacy) or need a complete renovation. Any large national or international chains wouldn't go near any of the units that are on main street at the moment, I wonder if the council reduce rates would it tempt property owners to put some money into their units that could entice more shops, and in turn more shoppers, back to the town.

Had someone earlier at the door from Love Castlebar handing me flyers that give a 10% discount to stores around town, asked her for a list of stores, she didn't have one, all she said was the stores that were taking part will have a sticker in the window. So badly organized, their website is terrible and never updated, I know they do this voluntarily but it feels like they go with one idea for a while before getting bored and starting another.

Love castlebar has never being a success if u ask me the name is sh1te to start with then the offers they have on are not worth it.

Is it true the Asian chip van market was throw together in two weeks

Love castlebar has never being a success if u ask me the name is sh1te to start with then the offers they have on are not worth it.

Is it true the Asian chip van market was throw together in two weeks

It did seem like a very rushed job, they only started advertising it about 3 weeks before the event took place.

One was meant to take place during the summer in the Barracks as well, but that was pulled due to supposedly very poor ticket sales, in fairness if you are not able to get a crowd for a free artisan festival, charging people 27.50 for one was never going to work in this town, let alone many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Disappointing to see the volunteers of Love Castlebar being slated like this. Rather than complain about things, they've decided to get up off the arses and do something. I'm sure not everything is perfect but I've attended a few of their events and found them to be of a good standard.
    We hear over and over again how much Cbar has gone backwards, but then when someone tries to stem the tide, we criticise their efforts.
    Maybe the difference between Cbar and Wport is that the people of Westport are proud of their town and embrace all efforts to promote/better it?

RMDrive wrote: »
    Disappointing to see the volunteers of Love Castlebar being slated like this. Rather than complain about things, they've decided to get up off the arses and do something. I'm sure not everything is perfect but I've attended a few of their events and found them to be of a good standard.
    We hear over and over again how much Cbar has gone backwards, but then when someone tries to stem the tide, we criticise their efforts.
    Maybe the difference between Cbar and Wport is that the people of Westport are proud of their town and embrace all efforts to promote/better it?

The something they do is not enough for the town though, its great they volunteer, but putting on a few events, some that have got quite stale and need rethinking and painting a couple of buildings is a tiny drop in the ocean as regards what the town needs.

It is easy for people of Westport to be proud of their town, they have far better employment and job opportunities, barely any derelict or empty buildings, a nightlife, pub's and restaurants that are mostly full and with staff that actually give a damm about their customers ( some places in town are woeful, when they should be doing their best to keep what few customers they have left) its clean and tidy and does a great tourist trade.

If you see the amount of people going over and back to Westport on a weekend from town, you can see what people think of our non existent nightlife, I would say the buses are probably doing the best of any businesses in town at the moment.

Castlebar is dying on its feet, socially, economically and in its attractiveness for new business and has been for some time, you can only be so proud for so long when nothing is being done at a level more higher and more important than something like Love Castlebar.

The something they do is not enough for the town though, its great they volunteer, but putting on a few events, some that have got quite stale and need rethinking and painting a couple of buildings is a tiny drop in the ocean as regards what the town needs.

It is easy for people of Westport to be proud of their town, they have far better employment and job opportunities, barely any derelict or empty buildings, a nightlife, pub's and restaurants that are mostly full and with staff that actually give a damm about their customers ( some places in town are woeful, when they should be doing their best to keep what few customers they have left) its clean and tidy and does a great tourist trade.

If you see the amount of people going over and back to Westport on a weekend from town, you can see what people think of our non existent nightlife, I would say the buses are probably doing the best of any businesses in town at the moment.

Castlebar is dying on its feet, socially, economically and in its attractiveness for new business and has been for some time, you can only be so proud for so long when nothing is being done at a level more higher and more important than something like Love Castlebar.

It's all very well making those points, but the reason Westport is all those things, is because of small projects happening here and there and eventually building to a successful town. complaining about how good they have it is not going to change Castlebar.

Supporting the efforts of new businesses, new projects like love Castlebar, and attending these festivals, even if you dont feel like it. will help build them up and make them better. little things like that make a big difference in the long run.

it's not going to happen over night but If the people of this town showed a little more pride in it instead of dragging down others, then it eventually would.

• Advertisement

It's all very well making those points, but the reason Westport is all those things, is because of small projects happening here and there and eventually building to a successful town. complaining about how good they have it is not going to change Castlebar.

Supporting the efforts of new businesses, new projects like love Castlebar, and attending these festivals, even if you dont feel like it. will help build them up and make them better. little things like that make a big difference in the long run.

it's not going to happen over night but If the people of this town showed a little more pride in it instead of dragging down others, then it eventually would.

I was not complaining, just making a comparison to the town.

I agree with your points, but I do not see it happening, if we were ever going to be near an even footing with Westport surely it would of happened by now.

I also do not get why people should be told to go and attend something they do not want to go to just because your meant to be supporting your town, maybe people are just not interested in what is being put on.

Advertisement