Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurants/Pubs in Mayo

Options
  • 23-06-2012 12:19am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    As requested :D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

***********************************WESTPORT****************************
    Breakfast:
    - Ring for Coffee, (Good Fry-up, hot sambos, Market Lane)
    - Mocha (Large modern coffee shop, good for kids, sambos/salads/cake, next to Tesco Altmont St)
    - Nicolas Cafe (Sambos/hot bistro style dishes, Bridge St Carpark)

Coffee / Cake:
    - Sol Rio Cafe (fancy sambos/cake, try the custard tarts, Bridge St)
    - Willow Tea Room (Teas / Cake, High St)
    - Moose (Waffles, Ice-cream, Kids, Bridge St)
    - Christies Cafe (Small friendly stop off, try the Truffles, Shop St)
    - Marlenas Chocolate Cafe (if you're into chocolate, Bridge St Carpark)

Lunch:
    - The Tavern (Great menu of Irish/European meat and seafood dishes, in Murrisk)
    - The West Bar (Good modern European/meat dishes, Bridge St)
    - The Whyatt (Hotel restaurant, modern European, on the Octagon)
    - Mocha (Large modern coffee shop, good for kids, sambos/salads/cake, next to Tesco Altmont St)
    - Castlecourt Hotel (Hot carvery meats, Castlebar St)
    - Sol Rio (modern European specials, Bridge St)
    - The Creel (Homecooking style, Cafe / Bistro, great desserts, on The Quay)
    - The Clew Bay (Hotel restaurant, sambas and modern European dishes, James St)

Dinner
    - Port Mór (Modern Irish meat and local seafood, cosy but top quality, Market Lane)
    - Sage (Modern Irish/Italian pasta, local seafood, fresh decor, High St)
    - The Helm Bar (Great Irish meat dishes and atmosphere, on The Quay)
    - Merlot (Fine dining style, modern Irish/European, in Plaza Hotel, Castlebar St)
    - Knockranny House (Fine dining style, award winning taster menu, off Castlebar Rd)
    - Il Volcano (Traditional stye Italian, best pizza for miles, High St)
    - Enotecha (Authentic/rustic Italian food and wine, Market Lane)
    - Bella Vita (Cosy Italian and seafood, High St)
    - Everest (Good Indian/Nepalese classics, South Mall)
    - Fishworks (Good Fish n Chips, Carlton Hotel, on The Quay)
    - Quay Cottage (Good European and fish, in nice old cottage but slightly pricey, on the Quay)
    - Mangos (Good Seafood, but slightly pricey, Bridge St)

***********************************CASTLEBAR****************************

***********************************BALLINA****************************

***********************************OTHER TOWNS***********************

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Castlebar

Coffee/Cake & Sandwiches
    - Helena Chocolate Cafe (Good quality Soup/Sandwiches and cakes, homemade chocolates) Cavendish Lane
    - Galway Roast (Good coffee, lunch specials, lots of space) Market Square
    - O'Briens Sandwiches (Good coffee & sandwiches but very busy) Hopkins Rd

Lunch:
    - Cafe Rua (Top quality, fresh varied menu, good salads, homemade desserts, always busy) New Antrim St & Mall/Spencer St (good deli)
    - Bar One Gastro Pub (Quality, tasty varied lunch menu, friendly staff and modern decor) Rush St
    - The Olive Tree (Eastern Mediterranean lunches and snacks, top value €10 lunch, very popular Korma and fresh Mint Tea) Newtown/Market Square
    - Harlequin Hotel (Large restaurant, Irish/European menu, bright contemporary decor, lunch deals) Lannagh Rd
    - Bay Leaf (Carvery style Irish, lots of space and child friendly) Garden & Home Centre- Turlogh

Dinner:
    - Harlequin Hotel (Large fine dining restaurant, Irish menu, bright contemporary decor) Lannagh Rd
    - The Voyage (Quality local Seafood/Irish dishes, relaxed cosy atmosphere) Chapel St
    - Al Muretto (Traditional style Italian and Pizza, can get busy)
    - Seasons (Irish/European menu, over Mulroys bar) Market St

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I see these recommendations are two years old - do they still stand? I'll be over in the area this summer so any updates would be very helpful.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I see these recommendations are two years old - do they still stand? I'll be over in the area this summer so any updates would be very helpful.

Thanks!

I would think most would to be honest, I don't know the ins and outs of each place and the odd one might have closed but I think you would be safe with 90% of them. Enjoy your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 fgob

centra petrol station next to mcdonalds does a fine feed for 6 euro and is as good as anything mentioned above

• Advertisement

centra petrol station next to mcdonalds in castlebar does a fine feed for 6 euro and is as good as anything mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

fgob wrote: »
    centra petrol station next to mcdonalds in castlebar does a fine feed for 6 euro and is as good as anything mentioned above

I have to disagree with you there. Centra would be the best out of the service stations, but wouldn't even be on the same level as most pubs that do food.

corsav6 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there. Centra would be the best out of the service stations, but wouldn't even be on the same level as most pubs that do food.

not likely

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Best places to eat in Castlebar would probably be Bosh and the Galway Roast IMO. I have heard a few people complain of food poisoning after eating in Centra - not saying it was their food but two people I know we're hospitalised on separate occasions after eating there.

I think Mulroys do the best service station dinners in town.

its 2 years since i ate in centra but for 2 years previously to that i ate in there every second day and thought it was great, i am sorry to hear its gone down,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

Aeternum wrote: »
    Best places to eat in Castlebar would probably be Bosh and the Galway Roast IMO. I have heard a few people complain of food poisoning after eating in Centra - not saying it was their food but two people I know we're hospitalised on separate occasions after eating there.

I think Mulroys do the best service station dinners in town.

Mulroys? The lack of cleanliness in the general shop makes me not want to look at the foot counter. And in talking years..

Nicest service station for me with good food is corrib oil spar express. On the ring road

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Where is the best "chipper" i.e. Italian style takeaway (for fish and chips) in Westport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where is the best "chipper" i.e. Italian style takeaway (for fish and chips) in Westport?

Danollas

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Has Tulsi closed in Castlebar? Noticed they haven't been available on Just Eat the last couple of weeks....ended up getting a Dhaka which wasn't really in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Looking for recommendations for good restaurant in Westport for a special birthday dinner - something very cosy and not to pretentious but classy at the same time. In the center of town as well please. Thanks :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

sooty1 wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations for good restaurant in Westport for a special birthday dinner - something very cosy and not to pretentious but classy at the same time. In the center of town as well please. Thanks :D

I think An Port Mór fits the bill perfectly on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

La Bella Vita would fit this description if Italian food is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

You'll struggle... 99% of the restaurants in Westport are pretentious. Big opening for somewhere with the type of vibe you're after.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Big opening for somewhere with the type of vibe you're after.

I look forward to dining in this cosy, classy (but not pretentious) establishment of yours. Do let us know when it's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I look forward to dining in this cosy, classy (but not pretentious) establishment of yours. Do let us know when it's open.

Don't bother looking forward to it... The town is saturated with eateries already. . All trying to get one up on the other rather than do their own thing.

But hey, just my view having lived there and now living close by.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Suggest the Old Bridge at bottom of Bridge Street. Owned by Mr Singh from the Punjab. Good European, Indian and Thai food. Reasonable wine list. About 35 places downstairs, first floor for overflow/private parties. Some staff local, some from abroad. Not pretentious. Indeed as a long -time resident of Westport I don't know any place that is pretentious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

I'm quite fond of The Tavern in Murrisk.

Just love places that will do Lobster or Oysters all the time. Their menu always has something to tickle my fancy and the place has some fond memories for me.

http://www.tavernmurrisk.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

HI Everyone,

I'm heading to Westport in a few weeks.

Any recommendations in the town or nearby?

Many thanks

Advertisement