Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCN Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I suppose its finding a balance.

There was no bonfire in Rush at the harbour which is a pity but a few tossers ruined it for everyone a few years ago. Cant see why communities dont have even a small one supervised for little kids, and the big kids:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I live in Swords and usually there's loads of bangers going off way before Halloween. Ah well.. recession and all that. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I heard that fireworks were banned in the North this year and that's why they haven't been as easy to get. It's been really peaceful though compared to other years - usually they start in September and go on until after Halloween.

There was a good few going off in Rush on Monday and Tuesday night but nothing like before. Agree with Larianne......recession and that sort of thing.

Sad thing is some of the fireworks are nice and like the bonfires its a pity communities dont get together and do something.

LeoB wrote: »
    There was a good few going off in Rush on Monday and Tuesday night but nothing like before. Agree with Larianne......recession and that sort of thing.

Sad thing is some of the fireworks are nice and like the bonfires its a pity communities dont get together and do something.

Jeasus I just noticed that was my 1,000th post:)

Is there a prize????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Sorry Leo, recession times, alas just another milestone - Congrats all the same ;)

.....come back in 2012 :p ...........they'll be dancing @ the crossroads!

Is that Loughshinny Crossroads? :) I will have to get out a bit more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

Hill Billy wrote: »
    A sad indication of the sex lives of DCN regulars? I hope not. :o

ha ha very good!!!

i think we have our fireworks mixed up

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I heard that fireworks were banned in the North this year and that's why they haven't been as easy to get. It's been really peaceful though compared to other years - usually they start in September and go on until after Halloween.

The law was brought in northern Ireland on the 6th May 2002 that you needed a licence to sell or possess fireworks.

Plenty of fireworks and bangers in Rush tonight.

Anyone any plans for weekend?

Have been in the parenting forum but very little on fostering. Are there any foster carers on her?

• Advertisement

My plan, go to college library and study then hit the gym and watch x factor! I've had crazy weekends for the last 5 weeks so I need to get back on top of the studying! Also, my body needs a break!

LeoB, I'm sure you could just post up a thread on fostering in general in the parenting forum. Might get a few replies.

Larianne wrote: »
    My plan, go to college library and study then hit the gym and watch x factor! I've had crazy weekends for the last 5 weeks so I need to get back on top of the studying! Also, my body needs a break!

LeoB, I'm sure you could just post up a thread on fostering in general in the parenting forum. Might get a few replies.

Crazy weekends:confused::confused: No need to elaborate............ Xfactor:D

Just back from camp fire on Rush beach, brilliant. Well done the local scouts. Hurling in the morning. D.I.Y in afternoon. Chinese tomorrow night Camogie and Beavers Sunday morning. Sunday night set alarm for 5.20am and so we start again:)

Have had a look around the parenting forum. Would not be a fan!!1 Was sort of thinking along the lines of posting a thread on D.C.N. seeing its National fostering week. Was also going to explore setting up a group in north County for foster families. We have a foster child and would like a little more interaction with families in the area.

The social workers are excellent but they dont live the life and we have found you learn as much from ordinary people as you do from the experts. Will put up a post later.

Yah crazy weekends! Out in Maynooth for one, out for my birthday, out for my friends birthday, scuba diving in Galway, then Halloween.... all involved silly amounts of alcohol! :o

I'd still suggest posting in the parenting forum (why not a fan?). There maybe be many like you there but don't post either? Can't think of anywhere else where you might find people similar to your family. Maybe contact the Cizitens Information? They know EVERYTHING! haha

You are one busy man, LeoB!

, scuba diving in Galway, .... all involved silly amounts of alcohol! :o

drinkin like a fish?

doing cookery class tomorrow myself and into town on sunday to get a camera fixed.........

oh the excitment

Yah crazy weekends! Out in Maynooth for one, out for my birthday, out for my friends birthday, scuba diving in Galway, then Halloween.... all involved silly amounts of alcohol! :o

I'd still suggest posting in the parenting forum (why not a fan?). There maybe be many like you there but don't post either? They know EVERYTHING! haha

Tired you mean. Ah its good crack and I like the G.A.A. Have to put up posters for our FAMILY TABLE QUIZ which is in St. Maurs G.A.A club on 20th oF November. Great crack and really good spot prizes. Just like your pub quiz but we include all the family. So no Babysitter starts about 6.30 and finishes about 9.
    Martron got in before me, drinking like a fish, EXCELLENT. Id say it would be messy if you discovered at 40ft below your last pint was a bad 1;). Hope you didnt kill any of the star fish was up just up the coast in Sligo!!!

Some on the parenting forum seem like "helicopter Mums" always hoovering around the kids fussing. They take things apart a little to much. I enjoy reading some of the posts but quite often end up just laughing at the mindset of some, mind you I am sure quite a few laugh at some of my posts.

I really like the NCD forum and would like to stay local so will put up something tomorrow. If any of you are interested www.ifca.ie

I was too hungover to go diving on the Monday. :o Never again!

I was too hungover to go diving on the Monday. :o Never again!

I used to always say that after a good session then we would have a match and stop for a quick pint, big mistake. Looking back I dont know how we survived. But I would not change a thing.

Had a great session in Galway one night well the whole weekend Honeyman's was one and I think the Huntsman was the other.

Memories flood the corner of my mind.

How a bonfire can be fun for everyone with a little effort:)
    Rush 38th Scout troop had a camp fire on the beach for people and it was excellent. 2 hours of entertainment and some treats for kids.

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4081185547_7c468c294a.jpg[/EMAIL]">

Hot Air???

[EMAIL="%3Ca%20href="]4081186677_c9de32cfb3.jpg[/EMAIL]">

This place has got very quiet!!!

one one was a racehorse
    one two was one too
    one one won 1 race
    one two won 1 too:confused:

That is some night of rain outside now. Mind the roads and safe travelling to you all.

No internet for 6 days. That's how long it took those eejits Eircom to come out and fix it. A disgrace!!

See Marks & Spencers will be built up at the Pavillions, by 2014. I can't imagine what the traffic will be like there. But it will be easier to get the yummy food! :) That's if I'm still around the place...

• Advertisement

No internet for 6 days. That's how long it took those eejits Eircom to come out and fix it. A disgrace!!

See Marks & Spencers will be built up at the Pavillions, by 2014. I can't imagine what the traffic will be like there. But it will be easier to get the yummy food! :) That's if I'm still around the place...

Eircom should have you up and running within 4days as far as I know. Had trouble with them recently and I expect a part refund for the time my internet was down.

Another bad night of rain, quite a few roads impassable around Rush yesterday and looking out tonight tomorrow will be as bad.

LeoB wrote: »
    Eircom should have you up and running within 4days as far as I know. Had trouble with them recently and I expect a part refund for the time my internet was down.

They said 10 days to us! :eek:

They said 10 days to us! :eek:

As far as I know they are obliged to have your fault resolved within 4 working days from the time you log it. When I has a lot of hassle with Perlico they told me they only provided my service and all faults other than with the modem were the responsibility of Eircom. Passing the book!!
    I made a complaint to Communications regulator which was a waste of time on the basis that I was paying a communications company for a service they were falling to provide and I should not be charged. The regulators office just p***ed me off with their smug attidtude.
    When you phone these companies and you get this message to say "this call is being recorded for training purposes" I said to the guy from Perlico I was recording this call also and recorded the previous call he got really angry, told him I wanted it for evidance. He flipped in his best Indian accent. Had 2 calls within 30 minutes from someone else who assured me of their best service..... I left them anyway
    Now look for a refund

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The sun's come out to play.

The sun's come out to play.

Well I got drenched this morning! :mad:

I have got a bit of a soaking most days over the last 2 weeks at work but today was nice. Its freezing tonight. Just back from a walk and its the coldest I have felt so far. Mind you one morning about 2 weeks ago my van windows were frozen when I got to work.

However count our blessings we are not in the West or in Cork. It must be soul destroying for the people.

i have to say the weather does not bother me. i work mainly outside too. people always say.... it was horrible out etc etc. ican honestly say i would not notice.

in fact i really like extreme weather and by that i mean really windy/sunny/rainy/cold. ( obviously not all the same time.)

it came close leo august of last year when m50 was flooded. water came within an inch of my back door!!!

was worried. But i cant even begin to wonder how people out west are feeling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As Billy Connolly said 'There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes' :D

It's a lovely sunny day today - I'd love to be walking along by the sea right now.

My heart goes out to the people in the midlands and west who are suffering because of the floods - we're so lucky over this side.

As Billy Connolly said 'There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes' :D

QUOTE]

That is so very true!!!

• Advertisement

Ah I enjoy my work which is all outdoor, well hopping in and out of my van. I like the cold weather, its healthy. Dont mind the rain once I get going but I am not a fan of very windy days.

There are a few houses that et flooded around Rush yet the council give planning permission for a large esate just beside one in particular.

Saw a farmer getting his ditch cleaned out this week and it was awful to see what came out of it. Fridge, T.V, Bicycle frames, wheels. Its no wonder some of our roads are flooding every year.

Advertisement